• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Purgatory Falls, Milford, New Hampshire

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
Had between 1/4 and 1/2 inch of rain on Saturday, so went out to see if it had any effect on some of the local streams. Had intended to go to five locations, but something came up, and only did the three Purgatory Falls in Milford.

Not a lot of water around, but a couple favorites from the day. First shot is with the Sigma 30, the rest are the Sigma 19.

Just before the upper falls, I found this little drop off where the flow ended up looking like glass at long shutter speeds:

1646-20120909-upper-purgatory-falls-1-sigma-30mm-f-11-%40-2-5-sec-iso-100.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

To the side of the upper falls, there was a very dark corner with a small flow coming out of it. I was blown away by the colors that came out of the long exposure:

1647-20120909-upper-purgatory-falls-2-sigma-19mm-f-16-%40-5-sec-iso-100.jpg

Not much flow at the middle falls, but was able to get a framing I liked:

1644-20120909-middle-purgatory-falls-1-sigma-19mm-f-11-%40-2-sec-iso-100.jpg

Yours truly getting a film shot of the middle falls. You can see I'm standing on a shelf which would be part of the spring flow:

1645-20120909-middle-purgatory-falls-2-sigma-19mm-f-4-%40-1-30-iso-400.jpg

And the lower falls:

1643-20120909-lower-purgatory-falls-1-sigma-19mm-f-11-%40-1-5-iso-100.jpg

Bimjo

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jim
Very nice shots db, I really like that first one.

On another note- where did you dig up that relic tripod? I have a Velbon that I bought in '77 that looks very much like it. :)

JimR

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Jim
Very nice. I love water falls. Something that we don't have many of here in Texas.

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
What a wonderful and special place to have nearby, db! You seem to be 'at one' with the place and I really enjoy the photographic work you're doing there... well thought of, artistic, and tranquil. I can only imagine that going in and out of there must be so therapeutic and relaxing...

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
Thanks all. Yeah, I seem to like the flowing water shots better than anything else. A lot of fun to do. Hoping for a wet winter this year and heavy falls next spring/early summer.

I don't remember where that tripod came from. Have had it for at least 25 years. I think it was my wife's - When I met her, she had a Nikon film camera set up. When it was sold off, we probably kept the tripod. I don't think it came from my father's equipment, but it is possible. Senility setting in :)

Relaxing? Yes and no. Doing the images is good. But as you can see, I'm not in the best (nor worst, thankfully) shape. I was huffing and puffing pretty good at several points.

I also have a slight problem with acrophobia (heights). I needed to step from one rock to another at one point, and almost didn't get up the nerve. Turning around, I had to go from the big rock I had leaped onto, back to a smaller rock, and my mind wouldn't let me take the step. When I went down and around another way, my wife was laughing at me, because I took a step further than the one I needed to take up on the high rock, but this one didn't bother me, because I was at ground (water) level instead of looking at a three foot high gap to cross. The mind plays funny tricks on you. The things we do for our photos. :)

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
Revisited

The Spring thaw has begun.

Here was the upper falls last September:

Purgatory+Falls+0001.jpg
   ---            

Barely a trickle. And here was the scene today:

Purgatory+Falls+0003.jpg
   ---            

Bimjo

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jim
Very nice, like the snow in the shot. I actually prefer the water flow in the shots from last fall though. ;)

ErickSaint

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Erick
Very nice set. I have to drive near 5 hours North to get to any falls. Most are closer to 8 hours.

A lot of moraine hiking close by, but relatively flat in comparison. I can't wait to get my camera on the trails this year, only had a phone cam last few seasons.

Latest threads

Top Bottom