Purchase advice - NEX-7 successor?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by stuzzy, Aug 25, 2013.

1. stuzzy

stuzzy New to TalkEmount

Aug 25, 2013

I turn to you guys for some advice regarding the NEX cameras.

Here's my story, in short;

I started my interest in photography with a Pana GF1, I loved it but wanted try bigger and better things with more expansion potential, so I got a Canon 7D, and it's fantastic, but nowadays it gets left at home far too often, so I need to go mirrorless once again. I looked at both NEX and Fuji-X but somehow went for NEX.
    I photograph my surroundings, whatever they may be, hiking the mountain, out kayaking, biking, walking the streets, visiting a foreign city on weekends and I'm curious to try and film a bit in. I enjoy good prime lenses but overall my budget for this system-switch isn't huge, I'll be able to put what I earn from the sale of the 7D with gear, so I imagine I could get any NEX cam and one nice prime.

So here we go, what NEX cam would fit me? I'm the kind of technerd who more times than not buys gear that's more technical than I am thinking I could grow into it, but I rarely do. Although I do know my ways around a camera and everything around it, I kind of swing back and forth between enthusiast and prosumer.

I was hoping to keep it short since it's so damn hard to give people advice when they're not 100% sure what they want.
    Anyone still interested in giving it a go to help me out?

I'm located in Sweden so I can't jump any US-only deals, fyi.
  2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    To the title: Don't wait for a NEX-7 successor. May not even come this year.

To what to get: Well, if you start in a system with limited budget, it's usually best to go with a body which has all the features you want plus a good zoom lens that covers the standard range until you've got money to get the primes you want. In your case, I'd suggest getting either a NEX-6 (WiFi, PDAF) or a NEX-7 (Tri-Navi, AF/MF-button) and a Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar 16-70mm f/4. The latter should cost somewhere between 600 and 1000 Euro, will be released in a few weeks.

With this set, you cover the most important focal lengths without breaking the bank, and you still get good quality equipment that will last you a life (well, at least the lens). Then you can expand (12mm Touit, Sony 55-210, standard or portrait primes, macro lenses, ...) depending on what you need.
  3. stuzzy

stuzzy New to TalkEmount

Aug 25, 2013
    Thank you for the advice.

I get the impression that the NEX-6 is preferrable to many who used/uses more highend DSLR's, so maybe that's a way to go.

I am sort of a sucker for lowlight capabilities so I'm a bit tentative about the f/4 16-70 you mentioned, any comments?
  4. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Nah, the NEX-6 is just preferred by many who used entry level SLRs and see the mode dial. In reality, the Tri-Navi is a much bigger deal. But all the other features - well, you have to compare them for yourself to see what's preferable for you.

As for low light - you can shoot a NEX at ISO 3200 without any problems, so you should be fine - especially with OSS in the 16-70. And when you need better low light performance sometimes, expand your lens collection with a fast prime. The 50mm 1.8 is pretty cheap, the 35mm 1.8 is a little bit more expensive, but at least you have some choices. If you prefer primes, of course you can start with those too, but I'd recommend buying them when you know what you need in addition to a high quality allround zoom lens.
  5. stuzzy

stuzzy New to TalkEmount

Aug 25, 2013
    But what about all the stuff about the awesome AF on the 6?
    I'm struggling to see how the 7 is to choose over the 6, and I'm afraid I'm missing something.
  6. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    'Awesome AF'? LOL. It's hardly better than the NEX-7s AF.
  7. stuzzy

stuzzy New to TalkEmount

Aug 25, 2013
    Alrighty ;-)

Perhaps I'll just wait around for when either the 6 or 7 has a little sale, since where I'm at, they're priced exactly the same with just the house.
  8. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Priced the same? Oh, you're lucky. Here, a NEX-6 can be had for as low as €600, while a NEX-7 can't be found below €850 ... Still, if I had to buy now, I'd choose the NEX-7. Better built quality and Tri-Navi are worth every penny to me. But I admit the NEX-6 has some advantages too, so it's always best to compare for yourself.
  9. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Not to hijack the thread, but what makes 7 built quality better than 6 ? There's a guy on dpreview complaining that on his 7 the plastic base around tripod mount broke from using 18-200.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
  10. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    I used both for some days, and my impression is that the NEX-6 is a relatively cheaply assembled body built mainly with polycarbonates and quite high production tolerances. The NEX-7 much more feels like a well crafted machine with a body built of metal with a magnesium alloy exterior.

I don't know why the base of said NEX-7 broke, could be many reasons. But just from how the cameras feel in my hand, the NEX-7 feels like luxury compared to the NEX-6, which feels cheaper than my old NEX-5.
  11. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    When Sony said that the A6000 was as much of a successor to the NEX-7 as we were going to get, it looked to me like this was a way to move prospective buyers to the A7. Sony, however, cannot have failed to notice that (since the introduction of the A7) the three-year old, discontinued NEX-7 (that's bested by the A6000 on DXO Mark stats), still sells for more money than the A6000.

So, what's Sony going to do? I think there are three possibilities: 1) Do nothing; 2) come out with a tri-navi APS-C successor; or, 3) make a full-frame camera that's the equivalent (in body size and shape) to the NEX-7.

Seems to me that the problem of lens sizes would be addressed by the new Zeiss line of manual focus lenses. It would take on Leica directly.

Fun to watch.
  12. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Hi can you comment a bit what is this tri navi and why it is a better way to use the camera?

13. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    I tried out an A6000 and an A7 in the Sony store, and I was struck by a couple of things.

The A7 is really quite a lot bigger than my Nex 5R. It's a much heftier camera, not nearly as portable.

The A6000 viewfinder is physically quite small. I didn't think it was nearly as nice to look through as my detachable viewfinder for the Nex 5R.

I think the Nex 7 viewfinder is identical to the FDA-EV1S? Not sure. If so a Nex 7 for cheap still seams like a good deal at the moment to be honest.
  14. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Tri-navi is actually two thumb wheels on top of camera. These allow rapid adjustment of two parameters, very nice to use and much faster than selecting a parameter from a button and using separate wheel.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    Nothing new to add except to say that I completely agree with Poki. After using Tri-Nav, it really feels like a downgrade when I use other cameras.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. sonicbuffalo

sonicbuffalo TalkEmount Regular

Aug 7, 2014
    North Carolina
    After jumping ship completely and coming over to Sony, and owning three different current Nikon models....I have this to say....comparatively, the A7 (which I bought) may weigh nearly as much as the Nikon D610 or D7100 (which I owned). It doesn't weigh as much, but size wise, it's no contest...the A7 is half the size in body size as the D610, or D7100.

I really love the portability of the A7. I can even fit the 70-200 mm into my bag, when I had the 70-200 VR II (one of Nikon's trinity, as I owned all three exceptional lenses). I got tired of lugging the Holy Trinity of Nikon around. They barely fit into my bag. I had to remove the dividers to get them to fit. Sure, they all had exceptional quality, but at the end of the day, I wasn't outshooting Sony's line of A7's. The only reason I didn't spring for the A7r, is because of the file sizes of the 36 MP sensors. I didn't want to deal with those huge file sizes. The quality of the pictures is great, but not THAT much better than the A7 @ 24 MP.

It's been a bit of a learning curve for me, switching over to Sony, but nothing I can't handle. I've gotten some real decent shots from the zoo. I haven't really tried portraits. I am a hobbyist, and will never be a professional, but may sell some prints occasionally if the opportunity arises. My wife and I like to travel, and that is the main reason I wanted to downsize (not downgrade) my setup. We're planning on going over to Germany and Europe next summer, and I didn't envision myself lugging the Holy Trinity of Nikon over there. I can see taking my Sony A7 and a few quality lenses though. I know they're in short supply right now, but have faith that Sony will come out (or Zeiss) with some real quality wide angle or short range lenses. I am hoping to find me a great replacement for my old Sigma Macro 105 that I used with my Nikon stuff.

When all is said and done, I know I made the right decision for me. I did buy the 70-200 f/4.0 OSS Sony lens for starters. I will say I am happy to upgrade to a full frame sensor with Sony. With FF, everything is larger, but mirrorless is the way to go. FF Mirrorless. Smaller than DSLR FF'ers.
  17. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Likewise, I jumped from Nikon, with about a year in an Oly system before landing with a bag full of Sony. I still reach for the NEX-6. I've had the NEX-7, and couldn't get used to the tri-nav, preferred the NEX-6 concentric dials. I like the AF in the A6000, and to ME, it is much faster than the NEX-7. I made my decision more on getting my flashes to work on all the bodies, so wound up with the NEX-6 (couldn't bear to part with it at the going prices second-hand), A6000 (very capable, very nice, but somehow soul-less compared to NEX-6), and an A77ii (I like the heft sometimes). I USE the A6000 the least, but I'm going to try to wean myself off the A77ii in favor of the A6000 at my sons' football games (for example), because all I read tells me the A6000 can keep up with that level of sports pics just fine. I'm likely in for the NEXT FF A-series, hoping they advance the AF and combine models a bit. It seems like that scenario could replace all my bodies with one FF body. Maybe later today!
  18. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    The AF speed between the Nex-6 and Nex-7 might be about the same as Poki says (don't know 1st hand since I've never had a Nex-7) but the AF accuracy should be better on the Nex-6 since it uses a hybrid (Phase/Contrast) autofocus detection system and has more AF points (99 vs 25).

Plus the 6 is slightly bigger than the 7 so it might have better overall grip than the 7...

If I would buy today and had to choose only between the two, I would go for the one I'd find cheaper. To be honest they are both great cameras ;)
  19. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Is there a doctor that could transplant the A6000 sensor and AF capabilities into my NEX-7 body?
  20. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    • Like Like x 1