PS4 and Sony's future

Discussion in 'Coffee Bar' started by Poki, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    We all know Sony is struggling - with almost 6 billion losses in FY 2012. Today, they unveiled the PS4. I watched the whole presentation, and sadly, Sony did what it does best: present the same old like it would be a revolution.

What did we see? A controller embedded PS Move, that not even one single demo game utilized. A few new games that also launch for the PS3. Okay, this is a big one: Diablo 3. But yeah, it's also available for PS3, so what? Furthermore, they didn't introduce any new concept.

The good? Instant on, play & pause games, start games before they are fully downloaded, and a trusted X86 CPU with a normal GPU, so very easy programming for the developers.

Is it enough? I doubt it. I'm a PlayStation guy. I always was. Even if I don't game that much, I enjoyed playing Heavy Rain and Dragon Age 1/2 on my PS3. Still I would choose the Wii U over the PS4 - simply because Nintendo is able to deliver games that make real fun. I trust Nintendo for making a good Zelda, a good Mario and so on. Sony? Well, with some luck, there are a few good games - but innovation? Look somewhere else.

For home entertainment, there's Microsoft with their XBox 360. They do this pretty well, and better than Sony in every way.

We know Sony's camera business does quite good, but the rest of the company ... Let's hope for the best!

If you play sometimes on a console, what do you think about the PS4?

2. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    My thoughts on the PS4...I can't wait for the release of the Xbox 720.

3. Skipperjonce

Skipperjonce TalkEmount Regular

Dec 27, 2012
    Norway
    I'll buy one. Not as big a player these days but still pick up the controls every week or so for a blast. My PS3 has been playing up lately though so logical step to replace with a PS4 once it is released. I also have a Vita but that really only gets used on flights these days.

4. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Bad thing is, I don't think either system will be backward compatible and worse than that, at least xbox is trying to make it so you can't play pre-owned games. Not sure if PS4 is doing the same. To me, that's insane.

5. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Didn't they say it is backwards compatible? Can't remember ... Whatever, that's another thing Nintendo does better - sadly.

6. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I'm not a gamer myself. But You'd have to threaten my husband with a weapon for him to look at anything but a PS. We had to replace our PS3 (now have the later, slimmer version with more capacity). I can't talk for the other systems but there are a lot of incredible games on PS3 : Uncharted, Assassin's Creed (each iteration more exciting than the previous one), GTA, Batman, Granturismo, etc... I'm not even mentioning soccer games (which he doesn't touch but are a big deal here), flight simulation, plane fighting games, etc.
    As I said I don't game, but the PS3 we have seems to me more powerful and versatile than the XBox I had given to my previous husband years ago ?...

7. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    I got out of the console playing jungle some years ago...
    The prices are really insane these days... buying the console for 400@ and every game for about 50-100€!?
    Fortunately I don't have enough time left for excessive game sessions... 15 minutes of Bejeweled and I'm done :).

But there's one console left under my TV set_ a original Nintendo NES system with 2 controllers, 10 all time classic games and fully functional. I love it! Unfortunately I didn't look that good with graphics anymore since we have a LCD flat screen... :(

8. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Best thing that Playstation has going for it is free live where it's fee based on xbox. Otherwise, Playstation is pretty much on life support at this point.

Well, it does make a good BluRay player too.

9. Grisu_HDH

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Right now the PS4 is not capable of playing PS3 games but Sony promised to find a solution and give it backward compatible as soon as possible... whatever that means in February 2013 when the console will be available short before Christmas 2013...

10. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Okay, Sony now officially said neither PS3 game hard copies nor current PSN games will work on the PS4. Yeah Nintendo, here I come (or I would, if I didn't have planned to invest all my money in a camera body and lenses ;)).

@Nianys: Yep, there were a few exclusive games that were great. Infamous, Uncharted and Heavy Rain, to name the most important. Gran Turismo was a big one back then, but Forza 4 cached up pretty well. Practically every other game (and every other game you mentioned) is also available on other platforms. Now, would I trade Heavy Rain and Infamous for something Nintendo has to offer? Probably not. But that's the PS3. For the PS4, things don't look so good. The new Infamous looked boring, and all other titles that are interesting will be released to either the PS3 or some other console.

11. Grisu_HDH

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    But people WILL pay a large amount for money when the PS4 is launched and will eBay will burst of used PS3s than...
    Will be as insane as any Apple launch I guess...

12. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Fixed that for ya! ;)

13. Bradwin Cruz

Bradwin Cruz New to TalkEmount

Sep 22, 2012
    I doubt that people will line up to buy the PS4 if it's not back wards compatible. I myself have a number of PlayStation 3 games and I feel bad that I won't be able to play these on the new console. So I'll stay with the PlayStation 3 for a while until killer games for the PlayStation 4 comes out.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

14. bmg123

bmg123 TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 15, 2013
    England, UK
    Whilst the presentation didn't really show all that much, the new games (inFamous is one of my favourites on the PS3) and the new features like instant on/off make it sound like Sony are really pushing to correct the PS3's faults. Personally I don't see why people need backwards compatibility; I have a lot of PS2 games but I've not once desired to play them on my PS3. New generation, new games. Plus Sony's first party stuff (Uncharted, Gran Turismo, inFamous etc.) is always a good reason to buy their consoles, so as long as a few more good ones are announced I'll probably get the PS4 at the closest opportunity.

15. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    It all about having options. Plus, what if you have a load of PS3 games, who wants multiple consoles hooked up or the hassle of hooking up another console if you do decide you want to play an older game. Or maybe the PS4 is your first system and with new games costing an arm and a leg, maybe the new owner wants cheap games to play in addition to the new PS4 games. Lots of reasons. I own a 360 but not the first xbox but there's a handful of classic xbox games that I have and play on occasion that I'd otherwise not be able to.

16. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    And now, not even the DualShock 3 controller is compatible with the PS4. Seriously: WTF? It uses the SAME technology (Bluetooth 2.1) as the new PS4 controller and has the SAME amount of buttons (when not counting the new pointless ones) ...

17. LuvMusic

LuvMusic TalkEmount Regular

Dec 11, 2012
    Chicago area
    PS4, all I can say is Ouya (Pronounced OH YEAH)! :D

If you don't know what I'm talking about, check here: OUYA Forum

I don't believe the future of gaming is in consoles. For example, my 14 year old son is a big Minecraft player. High res graphics, NOPE. Portable, plays across many platforms, engaging....you bet!

With the entry level pricing of a next gen console somewhere around $500.00 USD, make one think about a PC which at least gives you an upgrade path.

It is a time of change for the gaming industry.