1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Protect your Highlights

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by Tipton, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I generally have my EV dial at -2/3 or even -1 stop. The problem is with relatively light scenes that I forget to boost back up in post :p 

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    My A7R2's EV dial is set at -1 stop by default, and I'll add extra shots at -2 and -3 stops in particularly high-contrast scenes; only in evenly lit low-contrast scenes I'll set it to 0. My default import preset for Lightroom contains a +1 stop exposure correction as well as Highlights -50.

Interesting video BTW.

• Like Like x 1
  4. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    I am so glad you guys let me "look over your shoulder" to see how you really do your photography. I am going to start doing the -1 or -2/3 exposure thing too and see how it works out for me. Although, to be honest, I have never really worried much about my highlights. I cannot think of an image of mine that was ruined by loss of subtlety in highlights. --- But still, I plan to start on the -1 road for a while and see where it takes me.

5. fractal

fractal TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Interesting article. He goes into how the A7r3 sensor performs at different ISO values and when to be more worried about highlights and when to expose with more concern towards shadows.

a7RIII exposure strategy — manual settings

a7RIII exposure strategy — manual settings

July 25, 2018 By JimK Leave a Comment

This is one of a series of posts on the Sony a7RIII. You should be able to find all the posts about that camera in the Category List on the right sidebar, below the Articles widget. There’s a drop-down menu there that you can use to get to all the posts in this series; just look for “a7RIII”.

A few days ago, I performed a quantitative analysis of the a7RIII noise performance versus ISO setting. Then I made a series of posts showing visually what’s going on with the camera in that regard. The first of those is here.

Some conclusions:

• The camera is close to ISOless from 100 to 500, and even closer from 640 on up.
    • There is a substantial improvement in input-referred read noise when you go from ISO 500 to ISO 640, but that improvement is material only in the deepest shadows...

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Chris - There was a lengthy discussion on Kasson's findings over at dpreview (where he posts regularly) if you are interested in further reading. They got a long ways out into the weeds, and I did wade through it. After a while it seemed to me it became an exercise in technical acumen and less about great photography, even though the application could in theory under the right circumstances improve image quality. Then again, I have a long ways to go and a lot left to learn.

I am a hopeless technology freak, and enjoy the techical side of photography. Yet I am hoping that while I have life enough in me to be able to use it, sensors advance to enough ISO-less noise-free DR that we can concentrate more on making great pictures then how to get around the limitations of our tools.

7. sesser

sesser TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2016
    randy
    Does no one use the zebra stripes feature built into the cameras? I generally set mine to 100+ and use that as a reference for blown highlights and adjust accordingly with exp. comp. It's incredibly handy but can be a bit distracting during composition.

8. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I tried to use the zebra stripes but even at 100+ setting they were too conservative, the raws still appeared to have some headroom if I remember correctly. I never bothered since, setting the exposure compensation at -1 stop is almost always good enough to prevent blown highlights and with the large dynamic range of the A7 cameras it's not worth the trouble to wring out the last fraction of a stop IMHO. When you need higher ISO's it's even simpler, provided you shoot raw: just set the aperture and shutter speed at the desired setting, use Auto ISO with a healthy dose of underexposure and correct later in post; the A7 cameras are "ISO-less", certainly at ISO 640 and higher, so you don't lose anything in dynamic range.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. sesser

sesser TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2016
    randy
    To be honest, I turned it off a while back. Not because it wasn't useful, it was just distracting at one point and I never turned it back on. That said, I did read somewhere that best use was to set to 100+, adjust exposure until they disappear and then add 2/3+ stop (maybe it was a whole stop). This coincides with what you say Ad that there is still some headroom even at 100+.

:hmmm: With all these advanced tools, how did photographers manage when they didn't even have light meters built in? ;) 

• Like Like x 2
  10. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I tried them once, and never did it again. The histogram provides me with all the highlight protection I need, and having a bunch of zebra stripes obscuring the contents of my images was confounding to me.

11. TedG954

TedG954 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2014
    South Florida and NE Ohio
    Ted Gersdorf
    I tried Zebra Stripes once, but I think I look better in solids.

• Funny Funny x 7
  12. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    There is an old thread about this technique at Easy ETTR technique using the Zebra pattern and people are still making posts to it. Apparently things are a little different on the iii bodies, they have something called "highlight metering".

13. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I do use zebra and have it set to 100+ on both bodies. Depending on the conditions and whether matrix metering is selected, the zebra threshold is the point of exposure. Or I dial the shutter speed until the zebra disappears and take the shot. I nearly always shoot at ISO 100, so I don't utilize the EV comp. I prefer shutter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. johnson4096

johnson4096 TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 23, 2016
    Dan Johnson
    Both my Sony's are set to -2/3 EV and I use their DR enhancement feature. Those settings give the best results.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.