Pros/Cons of Different Legacy Mounts?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Synomis192, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Synomis192

Synomis192 TalkEmount Regular

May 26, 2013
    Since I'm basically starting over with my Photography gear and I'm considering different routes. I don't know too much about other mounts other than FD and M mounts. Is there a resource that I can use to find more information on what kind of lens collection I want to build?
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
  3. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    A decent no-frills adapter is only $20 or less. I don't think you'd be wrong experimenting with any old system. I have a bunch of old Minolta MD glass but I am sure that any well known brand (and some of the now forgotten ones like Kiron) had their fair share of great lenses.
  4. Synomis192

May 26, 2013
    Well thing is, I don't know the optical performance of certain glass types. Like how does MD or FD glass compare to those FED glass or M42, or LTM glass. That's kind of what I'm looking for, it's hard to describe I'm sorry haha.
  5. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I've been through at least one or two lenses of about 5 different mounts, here's my highly subjective take:

Pros: huge range of high quality lenses
    Cons: L lenses are expensive

Pros: huge range of high quality lenses
    Cons: large(r) adapter, maybe not as good as Canon

Pros: best lenses available, tiny adapter
    Cons: expensive, long min focus distance

Konica AR
    Pros: short adapter
    Cons: fewer lenses, varying quality

Pros: hiqh quality lenses
    Cons: hard to find good copies cheaply, large adapter

YMMV. With the low price of adapters and the recent proliferation of speed boosters it's pretty safe to just get the lenses you like regardless of mount, and if you really like the lens consider getting a speed booster too

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  6. Synomis192

May 26, 2013

Thanks! That's the kind of list that I was looking for! I'll try out some M mounts.... if I win the lotto haha.
  7. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Add to queza's post:

* Canon FD, the adapter itself is pretty short, the adapter is the quite complicated, I always verify the aperture working;
    * It's difficult to say in general, whether Minolta lenses are better, or Canon FD lenses are better;
    * Keep Flange focal distance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia handy, as you can understand the adaptability from the table;
    * See also Tamron Adaptall-2 lenses,;
    * m42 adapter is pretty long, but Pentax Asahi Takumar lenses are very very nice;
    * These mounts are adaptable to Canon EOS: Nikon F, Olympus OM, Contax/Yashica, m42, and PK. So they tend to be more expensive.
  8. MFD14

MFD14 New to TalkEmount

Oct 17, 2012
    In my experience, the size of adapter+lens mostly offset one another. Look at this chart when you have the chance: Camera Mounts Sorted by Register

For instance, the Olympus system has generally smaller lenses, but the required flange distance & adapter size is larger than others. Likewise for Konica AR lenses, they are typically larger than other SLR lenses, but the adapter size is smaller than others.

If you go the Leica M route, do know that the minimum focus distances are quite large. I had the chance to shoot with a Voigtlander 35/1.4 and a Rokkor-M 40/2 and thought the minimum focus distances were very limiting. Consider getting a helicoid-focusing adapter (I think that's what they're called), to allow closer focusing distances. I've never used one, however.

My advice - for the most "bang for your buck" I'd go Minolta MD and a m42->MD adapter ring. Rokkors, SMC Takumars & German/Russian gems should round out a nice kit of high-quality lenses.
  9. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    It used to make sense for most folks to pick one system and stick with it. But on these NEX cameras, when a good simple adapter can be had for under $20, why not go ahead and cherry pick the best that each system has to offer for different applications? I travel with e-mount, shoot my nieces with an old Minolta MC 50/1.4 (which beat out my various other fast 50s for sharpness and character) and shoot my products with some inherited Micro-Nikkors and a Leica-R 60mm.

Since we're discussing merits of different mounts, I'll add:

- Nikon is generally pretty good - very rugged! A bit spendier since most are still compatible with the newest DSLRs, but the pre-AI is less expensive than you might think and is ultra-rugged!
    - Canon FL - not as fond of the mounting system and the focus and aperture rings seem more prone to stiffening up, but there are some nice optics to be sure.
    - Minolta MD - a bit quirky with field curvature sometimes but there is a pervading character (those "Minolta Colors").
    - Leica R - the discontinued SLR system. Nice way to experience Leica optics without spending a king's ransom. A lot heavier and bulkier than the rangefinder lenses, but construction and optics are generally magnificent. First time I checked out the 35mm Summicron wide open, I immediately saw what all the extra $$$ gets you. The 60mm macro is a real luxury to work with with its super-fine focusing action - makes the Micro-Nikkors feel like toys by comparison and that's hard to do!
  10. Eddie_C96

Eddie_C96 New to TalkEmount

Jul 22, 2013
    Personally, I would suggest going for Minolta MD: the lens mount was discontinued, but before that huge quantities of native and third party lenses were produced for it. So they are cheap, cover a vast field of focal ranges and for Minolta produced lenses have no quality control issues (compared to Russian ones, that are in the same price range). As to the optical quality, I would suggest they are on par with other makers. Some of these lenses (notably 24mm F2.8 and 35-70mm F3.5) were produced for Leica R under Leitz name...
  11. jcdoss

jcdoss TalkEmount Regular

Jul 6, 2013
    How about Pentax M and A lenses? I'm starting to amass a collection of M primes for use on a K30 DSLR, but the real intent is to use them on a NEX.

I know there's at least one Pentaxian here, but what do the rest of you think of these lenses?
  12. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Old Pentax prime lenses (Takumar, K and M) are optically at least good and mechanically very good. Tend to age well too and many cases pretty small. Pentax lenses are somewhat more expensive than comparable lenses from many other manufacturers.

PK was pretty popular mount so there are lots of third party lenses avallable too.

However I see no reason to stick to single mount with Nex but will pay somewhat more with a PK mount.
  13. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    ...and the MD Zoom 70-210mm f/4 if I'm not mistaken ;)
  14. robbie1985

robbie1985 TalkEmount Rookie

Jul 21, 2013
    Newcastle, UK
    The adapters I mostly use and why:

Pentax PK bayonet - you can pick up PK mount lenses for pennies! I bought a 28mm 2.8 and 58mm 2.0 primes for less than £7 each at a market! The downside is that there does seem to be a lack of high end lenses in these mounts, so the ones that are out there are rare the therefore expensive.

M42 screw type - same as above

Exakta mount - this is a funny one, there are some absolute gems in Exakta mount but they are hard to find good examples

Canon FD - as stated by other, FD lenses have a reputation for great quality. The adapter I use needs to house a lens of it's own to achieve infinity focus, which makes it heavier.

C mount - total winner. There are some dirt cheap C mount cine lenses which range from giving dream like surreal bokeh, to stunning Zeiss crystal clear sharpness.
  15. stratokaster

stratokaster TalkEmount Regular

Aug 27, 2011
    I think FD mount lenses are very convenient for using on mirrorless cameras. You can focus wide open and then stop the lens down to working aperture simply by flicking the "LOCK <-> OPEN" ring. Other lenses you have either to focus stopped down or to manually stop them down after focusing.
  16. markoneswift

markoneswift TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 17, 2012
    Holy crap ! I use FD lenses exclusively on my NEX and I had never thought of doing that ! D'oh, such a simple idea so easily overlooked....
  17. RnR

RnR TalkEmount Regular

Jul 23, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    For more inspiration on manual focus lenses, I've found the forums very interesting (and wallet hurting at times!)
  18. Synomis192

May 26, 2013
    When I had a Canon AE-1 and an FL lens, that's what I had to do to focus! It's frustrating, but it worked.
  19. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    It's too complicated of a process - for me at least - to use on moving subjects. Can a FD lens on Nex be focused closed down, just like any other mount ?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
  20. stratokaster

stratokaster TalkEmount Regular

Aug 27, 2011