• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Proper way to mount an adapter

Jeep Captain

TalkEmount Regular
Do I mount the MC-11 adapter to the camera first or the lens to the adapter first or does it matter at all? I have a Canon mount Sigma 150-600 C lens that I want to use on a Sony a6300 and a7II.

I also have a Comelite adapter for a nikon 60 d macro lens that I want to use on the same cameras.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I don't know if it matters but,I mount the adapter to the lens and then mount the combination to the camera. It seems like I read somewhere that was the proper order but, I cannot find where I read it...

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I cannot imagine it matters much at all, especially if the camera is off (as AlwaysOnAuto pointed out). The camera's electronics will certainly not know or care which way you do it. The only difference I can think of would be a physical one, if doing it one way or the other puts more stress on the contact points as you mount the lens.

Jeep Captain

TalkEmount Regular
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't know if it matters but,I mount the adapter to the lens and then mount the combination to the camera. It seems like I read somewhere that was the proper order but, I cannot find where I read it...
I read it somewhere as well but can't find it now. Thanks.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
If I were to sit down and put on first, my stress analyst hat (never actually did that [stress analysis] but I like to think I learned a lot about stress from the guys that did when I was working) and then my planner hat (something I did do professionally for quite some number of years now that I think about it) I would look at it like this:
Putting the adapter on the camera first, sans lens, puts more stress on the camera mount since it moves the attach point further from the body of the camera when you do mount the lens. It would afford you a good place to grip the camera though as you could easily grip more of the adapter than body, thus taking the stress off the actual camera body mount.
Putting the lens on the adapter first allows you to make sure the lens is really attached well to the adapter without putting the body at risk of falling off if it's not. It also moves the point of attachment close-in to the body, just the way the engineers designed the mount to work in the first place.
I think in the final analysis it really depends on how you handle your camera while mounting that makes the difference. Holding the camera by the camera grip is not how I do it. I usually grab the camera from the backside top and bottom to get a good solid grip on it. That allows me to turn the camera mount towards me if there's an alignment problem. I usually hold the camera lens down to keep detritus from falling into it.
I know, too much thought, not enough doing. Guess I should break out my camera and take some photos.

Top Bottom