Project: 15 minute short with NEX-5

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by Poki, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Half a year ago I opened a thread here talking about a "professional movie" I'm gonna shoot sometimes in the next years. Now it seems I get a good chance to warm up my skills.

The script is finished, and I've got a NEX-5 with 16, 24 and 18-55mm lenses. And I've got some friends who will be responsible for the soundtracks and the spoken audio, which will be recorded in post.

Biggest challenge will probably be the slow motion in the intro - 60i interpolated from 30p footage is not ideal, after all. 30% slower should be fine though - and just about enough for this scene.

Now lets hire some actors, buy some stuff, talk with the make-up artist and test what a old NEX-5 can do! :)

2. andy

andy TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 20, 2013
    how are you getting on? i've got a 5 myself but do find it struggles!

3. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I finished a 'pre-movie', which is kinda a test for the capabilities I need (but with amateur actors and cheaper lights), and I found it okay at best. The codec is useless for even slight color grading, the 30p is not ideal either and it does switch some settings to auto when starting video recording.

I'll just end up rent the NEX-6 and buy the NEX-7 successor once it's released to shoot a serious movie. You certainly CAN do it in a NEX-5, but you'll need multiple tries to get the camera to light a scene like you want it, you need to get the lighting as well as the white balance spot on and the options are simply a little bit too limiting.

And hey, I've got to shoot a paid commercial with quite a bit of budget next wednesday. If I'm allowed to, I'll post it here (or link to it at least), but I'm going to shoot it on a NEX-6, not a 7. If you wonder why I chose a 'cheap NEX' instead of a professional camera, well, I spent all the budget on Kobold DW800 lights, the make-up artist and some licenses, which I consider much more important than the camera itself.

4. andy

andy TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 20, 2013
    cool man, i've always found the nex 5 and 7 don't like post production, with the 7 at least you have full manual control, so i set everything how i want it instead of shooting flat.

be cool to see your work tho!

5. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yep, just got the rented NEX-6. B
    Video quality should be just about the same as at the NEX-7, which hopefully is sufficient. I'd have preferred a VG30 with a BM HyperDeck Shuttle, but you can't have everything I guess.

6. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Okay, so first (and last) impressions until the shooting tomorrow. In general, I neither like the plastic build nor do I like the crippled dials (why the hell does the back dial do nothing in Aperture-/Shutter priority mode??). The Apps are nice, they lag quite a bit, but they are much more usable than I thought after reading about them. But, the video stream is neither sharp enough to provide accurate focus aiding, nor can it be used while shooting video - so useless for me, but nice to have anyways. The thing that I disliked most about the apps was the extremely slow keyboard ...

Now, enough with the bad. What do I like? Certainly the good AF performance, the Fn-button, the handling and the stills image quality. As for the video quality - it looks okay to me, but we will see how it looks after setting up the Cobold DW800 lights, the reflectors and so on. I really hope it looks good when playing back on the big screen (read: cinema) later this month ... If it does, I'm a happy camper regarding the video quality.

Special notes for cinematographs: The codec still isn't gradable at all. The form factor is very bad for Merlin type steadycams. You have to use a bigger lens (absolute minimum is the size and weight of the 24mm CZ) in order to being able to use enough weights to counterbalance the one-sided weight distribution of the handgrip. Too bad - I don't own a wider lens that's that heavy, so I'll need to further stabilize it on the computer, which again costs some quality.

And: The level is a godsend for setting up a steadycam! It really helps, especially since it's harder with NEX bodies than with most cameras.

What surprised me most? The lens cap of the 16-50mm PZ lens. It's just so extremely good! Never did I have a lens cap that was able to being attached and detached that easily!

My conclusion? Would I have to choose a camera for stills, it would be the NEX-7. I simply can't bear the control concept of the NEX-6 - even if I only have one day of experience, I can't imagine myself using this camera over a 7. As for a video camera - the NEX-VG20 or VG30 with a BlackMagic HyperDeck Shuttle 2 have so many advantages over the 6 or 7. But for me as somebody who does not want to get above the hobby level at cinematography anytime soon, the 6 or 7 are actually capable enough video cameras.

Let's see what tomorrow brings - it's gonna be a damn interesting day!