Product photography with Metz 15 MS-1 + Sonnar T* E 1.8/24

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Poki, May 25, 2014.

1. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Finally, I had a chance to spend some more time with the Metz 15 MS-1, and I'm still totally happy with it. Also, these are all edited with Adobe Photoshop CC (the 30 day free trial) - it is the first time ever I worked with PS, but it was very easy to get into and it works amazingly well. I needed to get some experience with PS as I'll work for an ad agency soon and they work exclusively with Adobe software.

What do you think? Critique very welcome.

<a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/48126456@N05/14266341302" title="Apple TV by Hannes Brecher, on Flickr"> 14266341302_089a05f96f_c. "800" height="534" alt="Apple TV"></a>

<a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/48126456@N05/14071815429" title="007 by Hannes Brecher, on Flickr"> 14071815429_efeb5dc523_c. "800" height="534" alt="007"></a>

<a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/48126456@N05/14265068414" title="Heavy Rain by Hannes Brecher, on Flickr">"534" height="800" alt="Heavy Rain"></a>

• Like Like x 2
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Critique? I'm not worthy :D

Anyway here's my personal opinion: I like #2. It looks like the cologne is spraying? :thumbup: And what you did goes extremely well with the James Bond 007 theme from the movie - very clever indeed :)
    I don't like #1. Too bright, the background it very intense brighten (to the point where my eyes hurt a bit :D ) and there's some "ghosting" on the edges of the product (Apple TV?)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Thank you for the feedback! :)

Yep, that spraying is a standard brush. They can do quite a bit when you play with the settings. ;)

The brightness is intended - when somebody sees an ad, he should SEE it, and the bright white with the intense vignetting really draws they eye right on the Apple TV (at least that's what I thought). As for the ghosting - yep, that's a problem with the blur filter, didn't find a way to avoid it yet. Any idea how to blur the background without get ghosting from the subject borders?

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Put a mask over the Apple TV with a little gaussian blur feathered outside of its exterior?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    That's what I did, and Photoshop decided to just not blur a few pixels around the Apple TV. Didn't look too good either, unfortunately.

6. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Another one, this time trying all the options to blend images together. This is a blend of a total of four images. The idea is obviously to show the low light capabilities of the iPhone's camera and the built-in filters while creating a situation everyone has been sometimes - i.e. seeing something beautiful at night but not being able to capture it.

<a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/48126456@N05/14271296071" title="iPhone Camera by Hannes Brecher, on Flickr">"1024" height="683" alt="iPhone Camera"></a>

Edit: This is a slightly updated version with an "emergency edit" on the color of the hand.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I like the concept but I don't care for the crop. Your wrist is cut at a bad spot. I think you should show a wider angle. Also the white balance looks off. Good concept I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  8. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I can understand that you want a wider crop - that's how I would do it usually too. But in this case, it would make the product itself smaller, and that's a trade-off I didn't want to make. The white balance is matched with the background - or at least I tried to match it. Looks okay to my eyes, although I lack experience with matching colors.

9. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Yes I understand, but the hand just looks to "purple" to me, could be my eyes also. I know you want the product to be bigger but I think the concept would be better as a wider angle, to show openness and not be cramped as this is the feeling I get. But we all have opinions right. Lol. I also think if you toned down the brightness on the hand, you can tell you used a flash.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkNEX mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  10. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Thank you for the tips, I'll consider them when I'm doing the final edits to the bunch of product shots.

Just finished one more. It's a pretty simple edit this time, yet I think it's effective.

<a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/48126456@N05/14295350163" title="iPod Shuffle - Music Everywhere by Hannes Brecher, on Flickr">"1024" height="683" alt="iPod Shuffle - Music Everywhere"></a>

Now I think I know enough about masking and blending in Photoshop for now, time for the next challenge. :)