1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Problems with the sel1018

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Fundadores, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Fundadores

Fundadores TalkEmount Regular

Oct 14, 2013
    There seem to be lots of sel1018 on the Sony europe outlet website. The Outlet items are either faulty and corrected or just a "wrong buy" returned. I guess the 1018 on the Sony outlet belong to the first category( hard for me to belive someone doesn't understand what lens they are buying when it comes to this particular lens). I bought one for a very fair price on the outlet considering there is still is a guarantee, but the number of 1018 lenses avaliable in comparision to the rest makes me wonder if these are prone to problems?

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I suspect it has more to do with the distortion of the lens. Most people don't realize that vertical things lean toward the middle of the pic and horizontal things might be bowed when using an UWA lens. They find they don't like the look and return the lens.

• Like Like x 1
  3. digitalanalogue

digitalanalogue TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 28, 2013
    I've literally just sent off my 10-18mm for repair. I bought it from the sony outlet store in the uk and recently noticed that at 18mm and apertures less than f11 the left side of the image was noticeably softer than the right. I'm guessing this is why it turned up on the outlet store in the first place, I read that this is a fairly common problem with the lens. I'm hoping for a good repair as I really enjoy using it, will update on progress with the repair if anyone is interested :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Welcome to the forum, and yes, we are interested to hear how this all works out. :)

5. Fundadores

Fundadores TalkEmount Regular

Oct 14, 2013
    That was what I was worried about. I will have to check my copy.

6. digitalanalogue

Oct 28, 2013
    That's the beauty of the 12 month warranty, you can't really go wrong, but definitely test it. To be honest I was in two minds about sending my lens in for repair as the de-centring problem was only really noticeable at 18mm and seemingly not all the time, not sure if one of the elements could move slightly but looking back through lots of photos I've taken with it I definitely had some perfectly good images, sharp across the frame, even at the same settings i.e. f4 ~ f8 @ 18mm, that in other photos there was a real problem. At the wider end the de-centring issue was not noticeable and the lens was great, really sharp and contrasty, anyway once I'd noticed the issue at the 18mm end I knew it would bug me and so I'm hoping for a good repair. In the meantime I've picked up a cheap samyang 8mm fisheye to keep my uwa habit ticking along!

7. digitalanalogue

Oct 28, 2013
    A quick update: I received a message (via email and sms) on Friday letting me know that the lens had been received and was being worked on, today I had a further message informing me that my SEL1018 requires spare parts and that they estimate repair completion in 5 working days. I'm a little bit surprised that spare parts would be needed to correct a decentering problem, but I am at least hopeful now of good a fix. I was half expecting to get the lens back pretty much as it was, after all the problem is subtle and very hard to detect when taking pictures indoors.

8. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I think that this decentering is caused by badly grinded lenses or faulty support structures. We had a faulty teleconference video camera replaced and it's image plane was slanted. When everything in right was in focus in about 1.5 metres in left everything was in focus in 2.5 metres. That kind of error doesn't demand great deal of error as focus throw is just few millimetres with short focal length lenses. 10mm lens at aperture 8 will move from 0.44m-infinity to 0.10m-0.15m just by 1mm extension tube.

9. digitalanalogue

Oct 28, 2013
    Further update: I have, much to my surprise, received a message from Sony repair saying that they have fixed the lens and it has been sent back to me, hopefully I should get it back today and will be able to re-test it. Given that the day before I was told that it would need spare parts and would take a further 5 days, I'm not sure what to make of this, but on the face of it I guess this is good news :)

10. digitalanalogue

Oct 28, 2013
    So, I've just got the lens back .... I'm at work so I can't do a very thorough test, but from looking at the camera screen / view finder it seems like there's no difference. I've just taken a picture outside in the carpark which looks soft on the left side, just as before. This is despite coming back with a letter explaining that optics unit AB013 has been replaced.

11. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Bummer. :(

12. digitalanalogue

Oct 28, 2013
    Yes, I was half expecting this as a quick test of the lens could give the impression that it's fine, I can't seem to pin down exactly the conditions for the fault to occur, other than it's worse at 18mm. I've sent the repair team some photo's and am waiting for a response on what to do next.

13. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
  14. John D.

John D. TalkEmount Regular

Oct 7, 2013
    Good suggestion! As well, in the EXIF data, the photo was taken wide-open @ f/4, so that difference in focus planes coupled with a wide-open lens?

Best to you!

John

15. digitalanalogue

Oct 28, 2013
    I have done brick wall shots as well but they don't show the problem as clearly. It's more prevalent at infinity focus. I'm away from home this weekend so I'll post more next week. That said the crop from the right hand side has both a building closer than the focus point and also behind it a building that is further away than the building from the left crop.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkNEX mobile app