1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Problem shooting panorama

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by bmac, Jun 30, 2013.

1. bmac

bmac New to TalkEmount

Jun 29, 2013
    When shooting with NEX-6 & kit lens I am having a problem with the panorama shooting stopping "early", leaving an unshot grey section at the end of many panorama shots. What am I doing wrong? Also, is there any way to see what part of the image is going to be captured? e.g. if shooting left to right, what part of the top and bottom will be cut? Example attached. Missoula Quest and Glacier 835.

2. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    I had the same problems several times with my NEX-5N. It is usually happened when you didn't sweep the camera smooth enough. When the shake is more than what the camera can handle it aborts the panorama, leaving you with an incomplete panorama.

Try taking panorama while using tripod to see if the problem persists.

3. bmac

bmac New to TalkEmount

Jun 29, 2013
    I seems like it errors out and does not save the picture when I move too much/fast/slow...but I will try the tripod...thanks. Perhaps it only errors out past a certain point, then tries to retain after that.

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    It simply is something that takes time and practice.

Too fast, too slow and it errors out.

5. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    The blank edge comes from letting up on the shutter before the panorama is complete. If you go too fast or too slow, it doesn't save anything. Continue panning until the camera stops firing, not when you think you should stop.

As for what gets included, that depends on how close you are to your subject, and how level you keep the camera during the sweep. Practice is indeed the best teacher there. I tend to make a couple of practice sweeps and gauge the top and bottom. I also find the wide left-to-right panorama in landscape mode is too narrow. I almost prefer holding the camera in portrait mode and changing the panorama direction accordingly. Depends on your subject.