1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Problem opening Nik Collection in Lightroom

Discussion in 'Post-Production' started by teefin1, Mar 27, 2013.

1. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    I bought the Nik Collection on offer. Downloaded it - then downloaded lightroom. But the nik stuff wont open in lightroom. It says elsewhere to go to PHOTO- EDIT IN - no option is given. When I try to open the Nik software in the downloads section of my laptop it comes up with a box saying : continue using Lightroom 4 to open. Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?

2. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    Thanks Amin, it didn't work for me - though I am technically challenged! :)

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    When you are looking at a photo in the Lightroom Develop module and right click on the photo, do you see the menu come up with an option to "Edit in"?

4. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    I wonder if you had installed LR first, would NIK have done the right thing. But the link Amin gave should have fixed that.

Worst case, de-install both. Then put LR on first, now NIK.

5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I made sure LR and Photoshop were closed and then uninstalled and re-installed the Nik collection. Still no external editors. Amin gave a link where manual addition of the Nik programs is explained and that works fine for me. However, since I have Photoshop as well, I prefer to open the Nik programs in Photoshop so I can work with PSD-files and get a separate layer with the Nik result. Therefore I removed the external editors again in LR.

6. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    When I right click the only option not grated out is 'edit in tether_nikon.exe

Maybe it's best to uninstall both. Though a) it took 4 hrs for lightroom to download and b) nikon collection doesn't show up in program files only in downloads under user name....sigh.

7. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    When I right click the only option not grated out is 'edit in tether_nikon.exe

Maybe it's best to uninstall both. Though a) it took 4 hrs for lightroom to download and b) nikon collection doesn't show up in program files only in downloads under user name....sigh.

8. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I dunno about Windows, but on a Mac you have to install the Nik Collection after downloading it. Have you tried double-clicking on the Nik Collection in Downloads to see if it will install?

9. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Don't get your hopes up to high. It doesn't look like the Nik installation is flawless with respect to Lightroom. IMHO the manual procedure is your best shot, in that case it doesn't matter where the Nik files are located. I certainly didn't want to de-install Lightroom, that might do more harm than good regarding the LR settings.

10. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I'm running on a Mac mini using lightroom 4. I downloaded the trial. Everything works as it should. Could it be a windows problem?

11. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Could be. I'm using a brandnew laptop with Windows 8 64-bit. Possibly the Nik collection doesn't install flawlessly on a 64-bit system, some of the programs are 32-bit.

12. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    I'm also using a new windows 8 laptop. Have done a pc 'refresh' which removed both lightroom 4 and nik downloads. I'm trying to download elements 11 now (10 hours apparently) to see if it works that way. It would help if I had a clue what I was doing, the manual approach in the link was gobbledygook to me :D

13. ErickSaint

ErickSaint TalkEmount Regular

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
    I had LR4 installed for a while before installing Nik plugins. The initial install seemed to go fine and it all works as expected. Been running it for the past few months. The only hitch is that pretty much every time I close the plugin and it goes back into LR it crashes. A window comes up and says something about "stopped working click OK to continue" then I click it and it goes back to LR. Of course it stopped working...I exited out of the plugin. This probably doesn't help, but it is on a Win 7 Pro 64 bit laptop. So it may be something to do with 64 bit, just a thought.

14. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    Woo hoo! I uninstalled LR and downloaded a demo of elements 11....20 hours later and it's finished. Re loaded the plug ins and voila, worked straight away. Now, it seems color Efex pro doesn't work for some reason. When I open an image it's just a black screen :( balls to going through all that again tho, childbirth is easier!....any tips?

Tracy :)

15. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    I installed the NIK collection into Lightroom 4.3 on a 64-bit Windows 7 machine with no problems. I have not used all of the plug-ins yet, but those I have used (Viveza 2 and Silver Efex 2) have worked without problem.

Perhaps the problem is Windows 8?

- Tom -

16. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Could well be, can't compare because I don't want to install it on my wife's laptop (Win7 64-bits).