Pro Photographer Matt Granger is Ditching Sony due to terrible service

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount News and Rumors' started by WestOkid, Mar 16, 2016.

1. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    This is ironic because i experience pretty much the same things when I had my NEX 5t serviced. The only thing good about the experience was the fact that in the end they fixed it under warranty. It was like the camera went to never never land for a month. I couldn't find out a status at all. If I were a Pro, there is know way I would tolerate it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    I enjoy shooting my A7, but Sony, Panasonic and other big electronics manufacturers treat their photo repairs like fixing an appliance. I remember sending my Panasonic M43 lens to a facility that also repairs TVs, microwaves and other random stuff. They kept me updated regularly, but there was so many layers of customer service before actually talking to a proper repair tech. At least the old guard camera manufacturers have a better pulse on the photographer workflow and their needs.

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    This is a common complaint :(

Sent from my SM-N920P using TalkEmount mobile app

4. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Heck, I'm not a 'pro' and "my" experiences with sony "technical support" have been very poor...it is virtually non-existent.
    And IMO, their overall poor organization / communications / efficiency is poor in general. I posted here a year ago about a double charge they applied to me for a large eye-cup I had bought...it took them one full year to the month, to finally process my refund.
    It seems like that to sony, their camera line of business is just another "steam iron line of business" or something...cameras are not their product line forte like Canon, Nikon, etc...no more sense of end user support & priority than if a camera was a steam iron.

The good news for me is that my NEX-7 bodies get done what I need using my adapted Canon FD lenses from the 80's, and at my age, not even thinking about investing in a whole different line of bodies...but if I was going to, it definitely would not be more sony gear, just based upon all the issues above.

5. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    It's a good thing that digital cameras have very little moving parts, so they are usually problem free. I guess that's what Sony banks on. Most people won't ever have to deal with service so it's not a real priority. They started that Pro service, so maybe they will build that up to where we non-pros will benefit. I just hope nothing goes wrong with any of my bodies again and I need a quick turnaround, because that ain't happening.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

Luckily I never needed any of my (ex-)NEXes to get fixed but some colleagues of mine were less than amused with Sony's outsourced repair services over here. I've had some issues with both of my Fujis but their service has been nothing short of excellent. I've got the sensors replaced on each camera and the HVF module on my X-Pro1, a free sensor clean (unasked) and a free loaner camera during the two weeks it took to get the X-Pro1 back. Did I mention the knowleadgable guys on the phone, no waiting line, instant RMA label via email and free shipping - out and back (via UPS one-day Express)?

7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Was just watching that video last night and I agree that Sony's customer support/service is tragic. That's what separates it from Canikon imo - I wish and hope Sony's recent Pro support evolves...

8. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Sony's customer support has been infamous, going back decades, regarding how they handled their consumer electronics. Everything Matt Granger complained about sounds like the attitude subjected to for ones' TV, laptop, game console and DVD player. I vowed to not buy another Sony product and hadn't since the 1990s until taking a chance on the a6000.

They are not alone. ASUS is also notorious.