1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Printing Printing

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by alaios, Mar 10, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi,
    is time to print. Do you know any printing service, that gives options over print size/quality? That can deliver in European Union (and more specifically in Germany)

How much it costs for you printing one picture of the smallest size (this is of course depends on the smallest size but it might good to hear your stories)

Alex

2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I don't see much point in printing 10 cm * 15 cm pictures. They cost as little as 9 cents in sale (minimum 100 pcs). 20*30 cm ones are 2.26 euros per pc (minimum 12 pcs). I use that place (fotoyks) basically because they have pick up point nearby.

It is best to look magazines etc. for reviews as this thing is mostly a local service. Postage is significant cost so ordering abroad isn't cost effective and it takes more time anyway.

3. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    I tried yesterday printing my first samples at a local store (for the Germans in the DM).
    I have tweaked a bit vibrance of the colors in Photoshop but unfortunately ugly spots appeared on the printed papers. These do not shhow that strong, are very weak to see in Photoshop. I am not sure if this was part of a bad quality print or I just mixed idfferent color palettes in photoshop.

Alex

4. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    PosterXXL.de is quite reliable. I printed up to 105x70 cm there and never was disappointed (except for a very dark image - dark tones are never good to print).

5. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Unfortunately what you see in monitor and what you get in prints isn't same. Colors are bit different, gamma is different and so on. Even the working principle is different. Monitors produce their own light and paper reflects light from other sources.

It is better not to tweak photos too much and different amounts of it work best with printing&screen.

I printed last night my first picture with Epson S22. Ok but not great result and printing did take 20 minutes (a4, photo quality). Pretty cheap when I will switch to aftermarket inks (perfectly ok for drafts).

6. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Can it be also problem with different color pallets?

Alex

7. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Not really. Both are interpreted in RGB (or CMY). Plalettes are more for printing drawings. Using known colors and using calibrated monitor & printing machine makes very predictable results.