printing from ultra wide lens

Discussion in 'Printing' started by isa, Aug 12, 2017.

1. isa

isa TalkEmount Regular

Apr 14, 2017
    I am sorry if this is a stupid question. I bought the Sony 10-18m lens an love it but when I try to print images made with it I can not get the whole image in. I know when you print 8x10 it crops. but I have always been able to print 4x6 and get the whole image but not with this. of course I want a bigger size printed than 4x6 but I can't even print this size. what size will print the whole image without cropping?

I have a canon pixma 100 printer. is there a company that will print from ultra wide images?

thank you.

2. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    No worries, it's not a stupid question... The image dimensions and proportions come into play here. Straight out of the camera, assuming APS-C (A6xxx-series or the like) and normal settings, your images would have an aspect ratio of 3:2 (4912x3264 pixels). Note that this evenly scales to 6x4, so with a little rotation at print time you can fill that size print. On the other hand, an 8x10 has an aspect ration of 5:4. Comparing 5:4 to 3:2, you can see that no matter which way you stretch the image to fill one dimension, the other dimension expanded to maintain the original aspect ratio is going to be either too long or too short.

The easiest solution is to create a copy of your image cropped to a 5:4 aspect ratio. The cropping tool in most editors will let you fix the aspect ratio, so you can size and slide around the cropping frame until you have it positioned as you find best. If you do not yet have an image editor, CaptureOne for Sony is free - and there are others free and paid.

3. isa

isa TalkEmount Regular

Apr 14, 2017
    thank you bits for the explanation. I am still a little confused although I understand a little too. so I shot and image using my crop a6000 camera and used the 10-18m at I think about 12m. so you are saying I need to change the ratio of this image? I want to print this out so what size paper is going to get the most of my image? when I look at the image it is oblong (more so than my usual images if that makes sense)

4. bdbits

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    If you want the printed image to go to the edges, you need to crop it, which yes in effect changes the aspect ratio of the image as a whole. If you don't know, a crop is simply framing a part of the image and discarding what is outside the crop frame - easier seen in an editor than explained I think.

But oblong... was it a panorama? Or did you do some perspective or keystoning correction in an editor? That might change things. Is it possible to post it here?

I am not very experienced at printing either. (Anybody else who knows this well have suggestions?) If you want to get the whole image on the 8x10, there will be some empty space on either top/bottom or the sides because the paper aspect ratio is different than the image . It seems to me you would want the longest dimension on the longest side. If I did the math right, and you print the long side out to the edges, that means you will have a little over a one inch border on each of the shorter sides. I hope that I have explained that well enough.

If the image is important enough to you that you really want to see it in whole edge-to-edge, you can have it printed to a custom size and put in a custom frame. You could check with a local camera shop, and I know there are online services. I do not know how much that sort of thing costs, though.

5. isa

isa TalkEmount Regular

Apr 14, 2017
    here is the image. I would like to print this without any borders OR cropping if possible. I tried just printing a 4x6 and it cropped off a lot. I would like to print this to a larger size if possible. unfortunately we don't have a camera shop. I know this isn't the best photo but it is of a lake that belongs to a friend.

DSC09888 copy copy copy copy copy copy 2.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  6. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    You can also in photo shop over lay it on a 4x6 or 8x10 black or white square. Flatten the image and print it out. At least it will fit in the frame.

7. isa

isa TalkEmount Regular

Apr 14, 2017
    thank you deadbeat. I know I can crop and print but I want to print it out where the entire image prints.. no cropping or no borders. I am trying to find out what size I can print this on so it prints all of it. any idea? I have not loaded the "capture one" yet as suggested.

8. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Your printer software/driver is likely stretching the image to fit and introducing distortion.
    To preserve the 3:2 aspect ratio of the photo, you'll have to print to a format other than 8x10 if you don't crop off the image. Call a print shot about doing alternative formats, maybe they will have 10x15. I know there is 11x14 out there.

9. isa

isa TalkEmount Regular

Apr 14, 2017
    thank you WNG. I will try to call a print shop. I do NOT want 8x10. I was only using that as an example. I know when you do print 8x10 it crops but usually 4x6 or 5x7 it prints image as is but not in this case. I really hate not being able to print myself. who does. your printing?

10. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I see.
    Ironically, I don't do printing! :) I try to stick to electronic display of images on LCD monitors and TVs (I didn't use my TV as a TV, but as a wall display).

• Like Like x 1
  11. bdbits

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    The image you posted is 16x9, an aspect ratio you can select in-camera. So if you do contact someone, tell them that is your aspect ratio.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Henk

Henk New to TalkEmount

Dec 28, 2016
    Henk
    Hi Isa, there is only one way to print a 16x9 image without borders, print from a roll. There is no standard paper size that prints 16x9 images without border or without cropping. Get the largest paper size that your printer accepts, print with border and cut off the borders. Else find a professional print shop.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. isa

isa TalkEmount Regular

Apr 14, 2017
    ok I know I need to learn more about printing but if this is a 16x9 ratio in camera then why can I print my other photos made with other lens without cropping? this is so frustrating!! thank you for your help.

***just checked aspect ratio in camera and it is set to 3:2

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  14. Henk

Henk New to TalkEmount

Dec 28, 2016
    Henk
    What is your camera model? Maybe there is a setting that automagically sets the aspect ratio to 16x9 when a wide angle lens is mounted?

15. isa

isa TalkEmount Regular

Apr 14, 2017
    it is the a6000. driving me crazy.. has to be something with a fix. thanks for your help.

16. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    It has nothing to do with the lens, isa. The rest of the responders to your post are right. Somehow you've got your camera set to deliver a 16:9 ratio image, and there is no standard paper size for that ratio.

Why not just print the image as-is and then trim the paper?

17. isa

isa TalkEmount Regular

Apr 14, 2017
    this is a mystery to me. I checked again and in camera it is set to 3:2 ratio not 16:9. I swapped the lens from 50m to 10-18m just to make sure the camera wasn't automatically changing or something weird. I cannot figure it out - why it only does it with this lens.

I really don't want to print an odd size because then there is custom framing too.

18. bdbits

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    So all you do is mount the lens and it switches aspect ratio? What mode are you in (Auto, Program, Movie, etc.?) I must say I have never seen that.

If you have not customized the camera settings much, I would probably do a reset just to eliminate that as an issue.

19. isa

isa TalkEmount Regular

Apr 14, 2017
    no it ISN'T automatically switching. I changed several lens to check and see if it was switching on the 10-18m but it isn't. it is set to 3:2 with the 10-18m lens. this is the craziest thing ever.

20. Henk

Henk New to TalkEmount

Dec 28, 2016
    Henk
    Did you use intelligentAuto or a scene mode like landscape? I do not have any of the Sony APSc cameras but I reckon they all have these settings.
    Maybe that did temporarily change the aspect ratio?