1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Print Sizes

Discussion in 'Printing' started by alaios, Apr 2, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Dear all,
    I would like to ask you concerning the print sizes.
    I have set up my camera to capture at 3:2 format. I took the jpegs produced by the camera directly to my local photo stations (those stations that you plug in the usb stick and select through a monitor interface what you want to print).

I have found that the print size of 10*15 fits perfectly with the image ratio produced by the camera. As I have found the print size too small I selected the next one 13*18 (it might have been also 13*19, I hope this is not that crucial) but then I saw that the images have to be cropped on sides to fit to the new size.

What are the print sizes that one can use to print directly, with no cropping at all, what the nex camera produces at a 3:2 ratio?

I would like to thank you in advance for your help

R.
    A.

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Unless you are constrained by available paper size, as is the case with this self-serve machine you were using, you can print without cropping onto any size paper that has a 3:2 ratio. So 15:10 works, as would 3:2, 6:4, 9:6, and so on...

3. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Many places adjust image length so that everything prints ok. The paper comes in rolls so they can do it. Otherwise you have to crop images yourself for every ratios. 15:10=1.5 as is 30:20 but 18:13=1.38.

4. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    How do you adjust it withouth destroying the quality. From the wikipedia page it looks like that there is not a 3:2 size that is a bit larger than the 10*15. How In the old days of the film I was asking for 13*18 and everything looked great?

Photo print sizes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    They autocrop. That is they cut part of image away but you don't have (nor had) any control over it. Now you can choose what part you want if you crop yourself. I use 10:15 and 20:30 so that is not a problem. neither is A4 (297mm:198mm) as all are 3:2. Besides the place I use prints from rolls so I give them the height and they adjust the width. So 13 cm print is 13 cm*19.5cm and not 13*18. In the old days there was 7.5 mm missing from both ends.