Print colour issues

Ziggy99

TalkEmount Veteran
There's some images I want to print. I took one to a camera shop and they did a manual print for me and the colours were off - in relation to what I saw on the day and on the screen. So I decided to get a printer and work on it myself.
The colours of the first attempt were off too.
So this is what I did and I'd appreciate any input on why it didn't work.
1. Set the colour gamut the same - sRGB on camera, computer and printer.
2. Calibrated the monitor, first on brightness just using an internet test strip, and then with a calibration meter which produced a monitor profile to load each startup.
3. Went through the printer settings, using native ink, selecting the paper brand and type, and so on.
4. Pfft.

What I learned was that the computer monitor shows both colour and light, if you know what I mean, and of course the light falling on a print influences its tones and brightness. I manually adjusted the colours in image editing to reproduce what I was seeing on screen in a print under daylight in the house. And that was a trial and error process taking 6 prints before getting a result :hmmm:

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
I think printers also have color profiles, though how you choose one or calibrate is beyond my current knowledge base. The software you are using can also be a factor. I have a color Canon I occasionally print a picture with, and it came with some software that does a pretty decent job and gives a lot of control.

I think one reason a lot of people don't print much is due to the whole color matching problem. It's not so WYSIWYG and requires some perseverance to get a handle on it.

Ziggy99

TalkEmount Veteran
Yes, I matched up everything I could see.
I used to have trouble in the days of Cibachrome too.
It's a Canon Pixma and the print quality on good gloss paper is a knockout though.

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
Yes mine is a Pixma also, it does turn out really nice once things are set up right.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom