1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Prime GAS

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by dbmiller, Jan 6, 2018.

1. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Went into the local camera store to see if they had any used E-mount lenses. Last time they had a 35/2.8, but I didn't think I needed it. It was gone now, only used lens was a 70-300.

I have the 24-240, so there isn't much need for the 70-300, but I put it on the R3 anyways to check it out. I have now gotten so used to the faster primes! The 70-300 wanted to shoot at ISO 12,800! (I think I may have Min SS set to "Fastest"). So most shot were baad, but a few did impress me. 100% crop, 1/250th @ f/5.6, ISO 12800, 300mm, Eye-AF:
    18-01-05 A7RM3 Testing 0051.
    ILCE-7RM3    Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS    300mm    f/5.6    1/250s    ISO 12800

They have been very good to my daughter and me as we have purchased a lot through them. I could get the 70-300 for about $800, but they would only give me $400 for the 24-240, and I couldn't pull the trigger.

But I really was looking for a wider angle lens to go with the 55/1.8 and 90/2.8. I have been debating saving up for a 16-35, versus a wide prime. They did have a new 28mm f/2, which I tested, and it is sweet. 1/125th @ f/2, ISO 800:
    18-01-05 A7RM3 Testing 0064.
    100% crop:
    18-01-05 A7RM3 Testing 0064 1.
    ILCE-7RM3    Sony FE 28mm F2 (SEL28F20)    28mm    f/2.0    1/125s    ISO 800

But I left in hopes they might eventually get a used one I could pick up cheap.

To make a long story short, I also have a Sony credit card, and the bonus points for the recent R3 and 90mm purchases just came through. So I checked the Sony Rewards website, and the 20mm is available. I had also forgotten that the 28mm takes the Ultra-Wide and Fish-Eye adapters. I have enough points for the 28mm and one adapter, so I have ordered the lens and Ultra-Wide converter.

Kind of makes me wish I had gone with the 85/1.8 instead of the 90 Macro for the small total package. Maybe I'll get that at some point, too. I'm getting spoiled by the faster lenses, although I still want to save up for the 100-400 and 1.4 TC.

Now I have to decide if I still need/want the 24-105. And what priority is the 100-400, 24-105, and 85/1.8.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  2. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Now I'm confused! (it wouldn't be the 1st time. :D  )

Did you mean the 20mm f/2.8? I thought this was an APS-C lens. Didn't think it would work with a full-frame body. (Unless this was taken in cropped mode or zoomed mode)

3. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Legend

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    FWIW, some time ago I went through a spell thinking / wishing I had all sorts of fast lenses...but based upon my experience with landscape / lakescape / nature / wildlife photography I do 99% of the time, I could count on one hand the number of times I ever actually need / use a lens wide open at its fastest aperture...DOF always trumps speed for the kinds of shots I'm involved with so I'm normally stopped down some regardless.
    Others mileage will vary of course...

4. dbmiller

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Crap - 28mm f/2 - I keep making that mistake. Fixed, thanks!

5. WNG

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Ah, OK. Nice acquisition!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DigitalD

DigitalD TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    The 28/2 is a great lens and practically a must have. It was square in my sights until the 35/2.8 from Rokinon came out. I love the photojournalistic style of shooting and a sucker for a good cheap sharp 35mm. So now I feel like the 28 is just too close to warrant a purchase. Especially now that they came out with the 14/2.8 which seems like a more logical step for me to go wider. But enough about me...

I think based on what you have now the 70-300 or the 100-300 make more sense as the 'next purchase '. Personally I don't like to have to have too much overlap in focal ranges and the 24-105 covers all 3 of your other lenses. But at the same time I would assume the 24-105 shines if you want to walk all day and not worry about switching at all. It just comes down to what you think will get more use and what excites you enough to use it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I basically only shoot primes. I do have some zooms but native only Apsc. I just picked up the 85 1.8 and it’s ridiculously good.
    Paired with my voigtlander 40 1.2 it’s a great combo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. TedG954

TedG954 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2014
    South Florida and NE Ohio
    Ted Gersdorf
    I had also forgotten that the 28mm takes the Ultra-Wide and Fish-Eye adapters. I have enough points for the 28mm and one adapter, so I have ordered the lens and Ultra-Wide converter.

I truly believe you won't be disappointed with this lens. Enjoy!

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  9. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    The 28mm is a great lens, I bought that and the 55 1.8 with my A7R2 when I first got into Sony.
    For a while it was a somewhat underrated lens until folk began to realise just what a little gem it is and for a good price.
    I have the Ziess Batis 25mm and the Sony 35mm f2.8 too, I find the Batis has a certain quality and feel about it that the 28 doesn't have but the Ziess is a far more expensive lens, I find the 35mm possibly has better resolution but the 28 stacks up very well compared to it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ggibson

ggibson TalkEmount Regular

Sep 1, 2011
    Agreed, the 28/2 is a great lens. Very versatile focal length, small, fast.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    I recently caved in and bought a minty used Sony 28mm f2 for a good price. I'll compare it to my Nikon 28mm 2.8 and see which I like better!

• Like Like x 2
  12. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    Primes work best for me. When I use a zoom, I almost always push it to one of its extremes. I guess zooms were not part of my photographic education.

I like fast primes, but I find that f/2 is typically fast enough for me when mounted on my A7ii. The camera's good high ISO quality and IBIS enable me at f/2 to get the low light shots. Wider apertures reduce the depth of field too much for my taste. And the paper-thin DOF makes hand held focus a real gamble.

But just because f/2 is normally fast enough, it is really fun to have the option of wider apertures for creative purposes.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. WNG

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I prefer primes over zooms too. Something about a fixed focal length that requires me to be more creative and compose my shot. I start with a shot in mind, but when I have a zoom, it can end up with too many choices and differing perspectives. Not knocking zooms, they are great when you are restricted in location. I find I tend to move around more laterally with a fixed focal length. But my first film camera started out with zooms. So, I kind of began from the 'dark' side. :D 

As for aperture, f/2 is the practical use size. Fast enough for low light and blurring out the background for some isolation. No real size and weight penalty.
    But to really achieve that dreamy bokeh, or 3D popping portrait, bigger is the way to go. f/1.2 is incredible for portraits. For those like me who can't afford it, f/1.4 is good enough. Since most of my shots have been still life, my manual-focus f/1.4 primes haven't been an issue with thin DOF. Movement of subject (and photographer) is a different story. Without any AF native lenses, if I needed to try shooting someone moving, I surmised that I can attempt it with burst mode. I'd get focus peaking on what I want, then slowly vary the focus ring +/- as it fires 11 fps. Hopefully one shot would nail the focus.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Alex66

Alex66 TalkEmount Regular Subscribing Member

Dec 23, 2014
    Increasingly I find zooms a pain to work with, it gets in the way of the flow of working. Walking around with a fixed focal length becomes instinctive where the angle of view of the lens becomes part of the vision and I can work out most of the image before the camera is up to the eye. When using a zoom I find myself thinking about should I use wide or longer and then dithering over what to use or taking one with each and not being satisfied with either. Besides the 55mm is such a great lens and "normal lenses" my thing why would I want to use a zoom. Depending on the place Ill carry a second or third camera with a wide and mild tele on it for the photographs that require it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Hey, I like a good, fast prime lens as much as anyone. But if I’m standing on the edge a large body of water, or a cliff, and I want the subject of a photo to appear larger within the frame, I’ll use a zoom. Sure, I could bring along a big, heavy bag full of different primes, or even additional bodies, but... horses for courses. Besides, if the latest reviews by people like Fred Miranda are to be believed, that new Sony 24-105mm is giving a lot of primes a run for their money.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I vastly prefer primes, but there is something to be said for a high quality zoom. I am rethinking and consolidating my lenses and trying to simplify. I always try to have one high-quality auto-everything lens for family events and for my very limited travel, and a zoom would serve this well. Plus I can hand it to my wife (who wants zooms) or a stranger and have a hope the result will be a good shot. That makes the 24-105 quite tempting.

That said, you can pry my Voigtlander 65mm/f2 prime from my cold, dead hands. It's hardly left the camera since I got it. Maybe if I do pick up the 24-105 that will change, but I have my doubts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. WNG

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Of course, in special cases of travel, like your chosen mode (and when I'm on two wheels, a la pedals), zooms are the solution. Not knocking zooms, my preference for primes can't always be accommodated or practical. That's when a native zoom is selected.
    If I'm taking 4 wheels, then the trunk gets stuffed with camera gear and lenses until the car's ass is dragging. Extra changes of clothes, secondary. Shave kit, razors...we need no stinkin' razors. :D 

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    I recently received my 28mm f2 FE lens and I compared it to my MF Nikon Nikkor 28mm 2.8 AI-S...guess what, old glass wins! Even with distortion correction on the Sony, barrel distortion is more noticeable, corners are softer and sharpness even stopped down doesn't match the Nikkor. The Nikon glass to my eye is superior in every way. The extra stop on the Sony is nice, but it loses too much in the process. OOF rendering is pretty similar and not that different between f2 and f2.8. Using the Nikon 28mm 2.8 on the Techart, it even feels like it focuses faster and more accurate than the Sony lens! Sony is lucky they have Zeiss as a partner, not sure they could manage without them! :eek: :D 

I originally purchased the 28mm f2 so I could have a native lens that works with all the PASM modes with my Godox flash, I may just swap it out for a cheap Sony kit lens instead and continue to use my adapted glass! :D 

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 2
  19. dbmiller

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    I gotta quit stopping by the camera store. Used SEL70200G for $975. The 24-240 is now retired, unless I need a single lens to walk around with all day.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. WNG

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    That's a good deal! Congrats!

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.