1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

price of kit lens

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by jlabate, Aug 25, 2011.

1. jlabate

jlabate TalkEmount Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    I'm looking at the prices of the 5N and 7 with and without the 18-55mm kit lens. With the 5N it adds $100 to the price and with the 7 it adds $150. That's not fair.

2. Travisennis

Travisennis TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Jasper, Indiana
    It's likely more because it is all black and bundled with the NEX-7 is only way you can buy it. They are the same lens but not exactly so it is not surprising it costs more with the NEX-7.

3. jlabate

jlabate TalkEmount Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    When I look at them on B&H it shows the black lens for both the 5N and 7. Looks like the same lens to me.

4. Travisennis

Travisennis TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Jasper, Indiana
    The photos on B&H certainly make it look like the black lens comes with the 5N, but I'm certain I read somewhere it only came with the NEX-7. If they do come with the exact same lens then the price difference between them is strange.

5. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    I'm sure that Sony don't view it as either "unfair" or "strange",...it's just marketing strategy which is about gettign as much for a product as possible. Consumer product makers like sony look at the overall mindset of people who buy particular products. Anyone who buys a NEX 7 is a 'bigger spender' than one who buys a less costly product so the thinking is that they can pay more for the lens. Also sony is probably looking at the overall 'package' of NEX 7 plus zoom, and where it 'scores' against the opposition by offering a greater spec. As we know, the price will no fall away as other makers launch ever stronger competition with their own models.

• Like Like x 1