Previewing both jpeg and raw in camera body

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by alaios, Aug 31, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Dear all,
    I sometimes shooting B&W but I have jpeg+raw enabled. When I am shooting only raw the preview button works on the camera. When I am shooting both jpeg and raw I can only see the B&W version that is the jpeg.
    Is it possible for the camera to show me both images?

I would like to thank you in advance for your reply

Regards
    Alex

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    You don't ever see the raw image on your camera's LCD. When you shoot a raw image, what you see on the LCD is a downsized jpeg preview that the camera creates. A raw file requires some processing in order to be seen. Without any processing, it is quite literally a completely black image.

3. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    David's correct. The preview is always a jpeg representation of the image -- even when you're shooting raw only. And, if you select a "creative" mode, then that's how the jpeg representation will appear -- even if you're shooting raw only. The raw file, however, will always be the raw file and will not be affected by that mode.

There is an advantage to this, however. If you shoot raw only, you can set the mode to "portrait" and this allows you to reduce the display contrast. This, in turn, allows you to see a better representation (more in the shadows, for example) of the scene in the finder. The raw file is unaffected.

4. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thanks the reasons I am asking for that.. is that I am some times using B&W shooting to be easier to focus and I want to be able also to see how the color image might look like (ok it is raw so an jpeg approximation would be of course acceptable)

5. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    It can't do that Alex, once you've told it B&W, that's the only preview it has.