1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Preview Presents - Real World Test: Sony A6000

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by dragion, Feb 18, 2015.

1. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    Just watched this video on YouTube and found it quite interesting.
    If you haven't watched it yet, here it is...

Now who says the Sony A6000 isn't good for sport/action photography?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. dragion

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    There is a typo on the title...it should be "DPReview Presents"
    Can this be corrected?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  3. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    drool I want one......... oh wait I've got one...... But I want the lenses too.
    Hmm how much is that underwater housing and which lenses are compatible?

4. dragion

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
  5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
  6. dragion

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    Directly from Nauticam's website:

Lenses and Ports
    The 16-50mm kit lens is quite versatile, and may be the only lens some people ever need. However, unlike with a compact system that does not allow lens changes, the A6000 supports a wide range of Sony and Zeiss lenses that are ideal for any shooting situation, including underwater use. Nauticam supports all of the Sony and Zeiss lenses that are suitable for underwater use.

Lenses like the Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake lens, either with or without the VCLECF1 fisheye conversion lens, or the Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS allow for full wide angle coverage, and a choice between fisheye and rectilinear. Sony produces the E 30mm F3.5 Macro lens for fish portrait and lightweight macro use. For hardcore macro enthusiasts, Nauticam and Zen Underwater support the Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, and Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM lenses via the Metabones adapters.

The Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12mm lens is one of the finest wide angle lenses available, and is supported via a Zen Underwater adapter and dome port. And, Zeiss is now shipping the Zeiss Touit 2.8/50M macro lens, which is fully supported by a Nauticam port, for true 1:1 macro in a native E mount lens.

The Nautical Super Macro converter is an ideal add on for macro enthusiasts, providing reproduction much greater than life size with minimal distortion and aberration.

You pay for the versatility!

• Like Like x 3
  7. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    hmm there is many a good subject on dry land too I don't need a underwater housing........... I don't need one............. I really don't.......... arh buggers doesn't work :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Great video - thanks for sharing!

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Good to know, but way too much for me

10. ggibson

ggibson TalkEmount Regular

Sep 1, 2011
    Looks like he's using the Meikon/Neewer housing, which is <$200. I've been looking at this brand of housings for various cameras, and they actually seem to be performing well despite the low price. The biggest issue with any of the Meikon housings is that they are only built to house the kit lenses with a flat port (and whatever other lenses might also fit). So they're really for a more casual audience, since pros are going to want to shoot ultra-wide or macro lenses underwater almost exclusively. For that, you have to go for a pro-housing like the Nauticam.

Meikon does make a wet dome for an additional ~$200 that can help you go a bit wider. The dome only makes the lenses perform as they would above-water, meaning the 16-50 would give a 24mm equivalent field of view (instead of ~32mm). And 24mm isn't really all that wide. Still, if you're a casual diver/photographer, a Meikon housing can probably fill most of your needs, and the price point on these housings is unmatched.

• Like Like x 1