Preparing for a trip in the desert

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by duh!, Nov 4, 2013.

1. duh!

duh! TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 4, 2013
    Hi guys, anyone out there with this experience (out in a dusty, sandy place with your gears) and care to share some tips to protect the camera? I just gotten the adapted lens and fell in love with the Minolta F1.4 and thought it would be great to have it with me there, but at the same time..... worried sick about dust getting into the camera.. I got 2 kids running around... so, I am extra worried I may slack somewhat.... lol...... Also, part of the session shall be a 20mins or so sand bashing in a 4 wheel, which I am really excited about

The other question is if I should bring both this manual and my SELP1650 lens... I am trying to lessen the load... which would you bring and why?

Sorry for the noob questions, thanks heaps!

2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Personally I avoid taking my camera in places like that (lots of dust, sand etc).
    The Nexes are prone to letting dust easily inside (althought easier to clean than the DSLRs)
    Only advice I can give is that if you do take it with you, try not to change lenses when the wind is blowing...

Also, regarding your 2nd question, I'd suggest you take atleast an AF lens with you if you're not to familiar with MF 'cause you wouldn't want to miss some nice moments. Manual focusing is very easy with the Nex but takes practise regardless

Good luck and post some pics ;)

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Depending on where you go, not every where is covered in sand and dust. :rolleyes:

Just like anywhere, just be thoughtful about when you decide to change out a lens.

4. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    You can always use an under water kit, some of the plastic bag type are not overly expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I've taken my NEX-6 along on lots of off-road motorcycle trips in the desert, keeping it in my tank bag (wrapped in a towel) and stopping along the way to snap pictures, swap out lenses, and generally not babying the thing. I do try to shield it with my body when swapping lenses in windy conditions, but there's only so much you can do.

While on the trip I just shoot, and when I get home I go over it with a blower and a microfiber cloth. So far, so good.

My advice is just have fun and don't fret too much about damaging the camera. It's not a wilting flower. If you spend the entire time out there worrying yourself sick about getting some (easily removed) dust speck on your sensor, you'll ruin the time for yourself and those with you. Just shoot!

Oh, and I agree with Nick. Just leave the versatile 16-50 on there, and keep the MF lens for when you have peace of mind and plenty of time to compose.

Free advice, and worth every penny! :p

Edit: some of the abuse I've put the camera through:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  6. duh!

duh! TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 4, 2013
    Thanks for your thoughts. I guess I worry too much. :)

Sent from my GT-N7105 using TalkEmount mobile app

7. duh!

duh! TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 4, 2013
    I was happy with the photos that I saw on the camera. ... but that mood somewhat changed when I saw them on my 24" monitor. . Sharpness is all over the wrong places.. . I guess I would really have to spend a lot of time and practice with focus peaking before I could use it with the confidence I need.

8. duh!

duh! TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 4, 2013
    Thanks deadbear, that's a solution. . Will consider that option

9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I've had that a few times myself.
    I thought I had a killer shot till I get home and saw it on the computer.