Power pack for my a7xx cameras

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by SamSS, Jun 5, 2015.

1. SamSS

SamSS TalkEmount Regular

Oct 11, 2014
    I thought I should share this for anyone that has a need for an external power pack for extended time shoot or as a backup power during hiking.

From looking around, I knew that a Sony AC adapter supplies 7.6v to the camera. Most power power pack that I've looked at that cost around $80 + additional parts. Yet, they don't provide the crucial correct voltage to the camera and still too bulky to wear around the waist or attach to a tripod.

I bit the bullet on this $24 bicycle LED light with rechargable power pack rated 8.4v which is closest to 7.6v required.
    Bought an after market AC adapter for Sony $14
    For the last part, I could have bought a DC male to male 2.5mm adapter for $3 but decided to use spare parts that I had laying around. (cut off to use the end part of an old AC adapter for computer speakers + a connector)

My total cost is under $40...and have an LED light as a bonus :)

The good news is that the 8.4v power pack measured at 7.6v...perfect!

Now, I've not had a chance to test out how long it powers my camera.
    The unit has 4x 18650 batteries rated at 6400mAh.
    Though, I wouldn't careless if it actually has 3/4 of its rated mAh.
    That's plenty enough for me to tether, time lapse or video shooting without worrying of power interuption.

I will probably need to spring $50 for that Capture One PRO for Sony to utilize LIVE VIEW capture tethering with Surface Pro 3.

This is the LED light with rechargable power pack, sleeve. (charging AC adapter and 2 included rubber band loop use to attach bicycle's handle bar are not in picture)

This is the third party AC adaptor for Sony + home mod DC male to male adaptor
    CORRECTION: DC male to male connector actually is: 5.5mm x 2.1mm

This is how it looks like as connected

Measured 7.6v before insertion

Power On

Tethered with Surface Pro 3 (sorry about the last 2 pictures are out of focus...I must be tired :))
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 4
  2. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    Interesting. Although strictly speaking you dont have to go DIY. There is at least one company that makes a setup like this (I will post a link if I can find it.)

You can actually close the door to your battery compartment with this set up. Look at the battery door carefully and you will see it has a little flap that opens up leaving room for the lead to come out.
  3. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    Parts list? Where did you source your supplies? Can you provide some links? I've used external batteries before but haven't found anything that large that matched the voltage that closely.
  4. SamSS

SamSS TalkEmount Regular

Oct 11, 2014
    Hi! They are all available on Ebay. I'm not affiliate with any of the seller where the items were bought.
    It looks like they raised the price by a buck or two on the AC adaptor for Sony. But you can use the key words below to search for best possible price with free shipping.

The keys words for the items:
    SolarStorm 6000 Lm 3x CREE XM-L U2 LED with battery pack -- it is now $24.99
    AC-PW20 AC Power Adapter + DC Coupler Kit For Sony -- it is now $15.99
    5.5mm x 2.1mm Male to 5.5x 2.1mm Male DC plug for Cable extension connector -- $3.99 you get 6pcs. These look like good quality.

It is important that you choose and note to seller the appropriate type of power PLUG for country that you live....US, EU...etc.
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Good idea!

Although the listed bike headlight is a known factor with a proper pack voltage, one can buy a single LED headlight for under $19 that comes with a pack with the same specs.
    But a few older models use 3.7V packs. Purchased these in the past and have received both. Now I just need to buy that Sony kit.
  6. SamSS

SamSS TalkEmount Regular

Oct 11, 2014
    I would like to report back and very happy with it.
    I gave it a full charge yesterday. Mounted a7ii with most features turned on including wifi throughout.
    a) First 2 hrs with LCD always on.
    b) 3 hrs with EVF only. Though, after the first 2 & 1/2 hrs battery gauge reported empty in the camera...but still going strong.
    c) switched to slideshow playback on the LCD from SD card in the camera for 1 & 1/2 hrs then I have to called quit. Got to get sleep.

So far it ran 6.30 minutes and still going.

...The next day it ran another 10 minutes before calling it quit.

Battery gauge in the camera is inaccurate.

Having a spin with Capture One Pro trial version with LIVE VIEW.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 1