Potential Convert Needs Lens Selection Assistance

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by mentalcase, Nov 11, 2014.

1. mentalcase

mentalcase TalkEmount Rookie

Nov 11, 2014
    So I've been shooting Canon for nearly 10 years now and am sitting on the cusp of a complete migration. I ordered an a6000 which arrives on Wednesday and my plan is to put it through its paces and determine if it can completely replace my 60D. After researching the a6000 way too much, I'm fairly confident I'll be smitten with the Sony. But that leaves me with the hard selection of replacing my lenses.

Current setup
    -Canon 60d
    -Sigma 18-35 f1.8
    -Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6
    -Canon 70-200 f4
    -Canon 430exII flash

My most used lens is the Sigma 18-35 and to be honest it very, very, very rarely leaves my camera. Thus I am planing on throwing the majority on my budget into something comparable. I was not blown away with the basic walk around zooms that are currently offered, so I've accepted the fact that I'm going to have to be happy with a fast prime. Currently I'm looking at the SEL24F18Z or the Zeiss Touit 32/1.8. I'm leaning towards the 24mm as I find anything above 30mm to be a little tight for my tastes. Any opinions or are there other lenses I should look at?

I'm a big fan of the ultra wide angle point of view, but there doesn't appear to be very many options, rather only one and it's fairly expensive. I might have to hold off on the SEL1018 as I do not go wide nearly enough to justify spending nearly $800.

Same situation with my telephoto selection. The Canon 70-200 is far more affordable then the Sony glass, so in this case I'm going to default to the SEL55210 and it will have to until I come into more money.

Budget wise I'm looking at having anywhere from $1000 - $1500 to spend on glass and I'm not opposed to buying preowned lenses. Any recommendations that help maximize my budget is much appreciated. I really wish the Sigma lenses were fully compatible with the AF tracking and they had a better selection. I'm a big siggy fan and they have done me well in past.

2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
  3. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    The SEL24F18Z is a great lens and would get the most out of the A6000 sensor.

4. 986ster

986ster TalkEmount Regular

Jan 15, 2013
    Have you considered keeping your Canon glass & using an EF to E smart converter like the ones from Metabones? They retain aperture control and autofocus, although the latter is said to be slow.

5. mentalcase

Nov 11, 2014
    I've considered it, but on of my main reasons for switching, besides size, is the focusing capabilities of the a6000. The slow focus would really get on my nerves.

I was pretty much sold on the 25 1.8 but was hoping their was a cheaper alternative. I wish there was a cheaper wide angle that would be compatible and still keep af.

6. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    I know your dilemma well. Unfortunately, for native APS-C E-mount in the 22 - 28mm range there is currently only the Sony-Zeiss 24/1.8. It is a stellar lens by all accounts, but comes at the Zeiss premium. Just below that range are the decent, but slightly slower, Sigma 19/2.8 and Sony 20/2.8, of which only the Sony can take advantage of the a6000's fast hybrid AF. Above that range there are a number of good lenses in the 30-35 range. Several E and FE zooms cover the range of your Sigma, but none faster than f/4.

Now, there is one other future prospect. In March the new FE 28mm f/2.0 lens should arrive from Sony. That is expected to be one of the least expensive FE lenses and will work fine on APS-C bodies as well. Based on the other FE lenses and on the similarly targeted E 20/2.8, I expect it to be somewhere in the US$350-500 price range. Like with the E 16/2.8 and E 20/2.8, Sony is releasing two add-on converter lenses to enable the new FE 28/2 to also act as either an ultra-wide 21/2, or as a 16/2 fisheye. Something to consider... for the Spring.

Sent from TalkEmount app on iPad

7. mentalcase

Nov 11, 2014
    This is very new territory for me as with Canon all I really needed was the funds for a certain lens. Now I have the funds, but the lenses I truly want are not available. That being said the 24 1.8 while being expensive seems to be the best option for me currently so I'll likely splurge.

Will the third party lenses ever have the fast hybrid AF? Is it just a matter of firmware?

And does Sony have a roadmap available for lenses coming out in the near future?

8. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    I don't know about how/whether third party lenses will be able to take full advantage of the fast hybrid AF.

But Sony does have an FE lens map of sorts. Nothing new announced yet for APS-C though.
    The batch of lenses from the FE 24-240 to the 90 Macro G were announced in Sept., but won't be available until February to March of 2015.
    ImageUploadedByTalkEmount1415719022.748168. (from SonyAlphaRumors)

Sent from TalkEmount app on iPad

9. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Ok. I may get killed, but here goes

Realistically - there is nothing that says Sony will ever release a fast zoom of any kind. So if that is something you absolutely need, I don't see the a6000 ever replacing your 60D. Trying to find an answer will only lead to frustration because it isn't there and Sony has no plans for it. Look at the roadmap. If I couldn't live without fast apertures, e-mount would be my last choice. There other reasons for e-mount, size, IQ, innovation, legacy glass comparability and more. However, speed and flexibility of it's native glass is a real weakness when measured against other systems. This may seem harsh, but that is the plain truth. I would keep my 60D and Canon glass.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Well,I both agree and disagree. I think the newly announced FE lenses from Sony signal something of a shift in priorities. The 90/2.8 Macro G, 35/1.4 Zeiss, and even the 28/2 are all relatively fast for their classes. I think the primary reason that Sony has avoided the fastest apertures, particularly on zooms, is that the result would be larger lenses. Given that the original concept for the NEX series was a compact system camera with "DSLR-like" image quality, even the original SEL1855 kit was often criticized as oversized for the early NEX-3 and NEX- series cameras - and thus the SELP1650 kit lens was created. With the exception of specific primes, it seems like Sony has clearly been prioritizing size until now. But now, with the new emphasis on full-frame and potential moves into pro territory, Sony is willing to go for larger aperture (i.e., faster) lenses than it previously produced for APS-C.

• Like Like x 2
  11. mcvu

mcvu TalkEmount Regular

Sep 24, 2014
    Bay Area, CA
    Minh
    Go for the SEL1018. It's one of the best wide angle zoom available for any system.
    I bought a mint, used one for only $540 USD.

The next zoom to consider is the Sony 18-105/f4 G lens.

Add the Sony 50mm/f1.8 OSS and that will be all the lenses you'll need for A6000; unless you need a longer tele range.

12. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I don't think I disagree Steve, but when you look at the lens the OP says "very, very, very rarely leaves my camera", there is nothing now or in an future plans Sony has to match 18-35 f1.8. This includes FF; not even remotely close. So if he is looking for something in that range, he will be frustrated or he will have to compromise heavily. This cannot be disputed.

• Like Like x 2
  13. mentalcase

Nov 11, 2014
    Let me rephrase that then. The 18-35 1.8 rarely leaves my camera, but for 2 months before that it was the sigma 35mm 1.4 art and then for 2 years before that the sigma 30mm 1.4. I'm not afraid of primes. In fact i only went with the 18-35 only due to it being wider and of comparable IQ to the 35 1.4.

If sigma offered a 20 or 24 1.4 art I likely would have went with that. That being said I wouldn't be opposed to another 35 1.4 as it would likely push me into an a7 quicker. If there is nothing better then the 24 1.8 I'll likely jump on it.

14. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Again - Your current primary zoom lens and your 2 previous lenses were fast primes at F/1.4, again there is no equivalent on e-mount now or slated for the future. If you go with the 24 1.8, I hear good things about it. It's just not what your coming from. good luck.

15. MizOre

MizOre TalkEmount Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    Nicaragua
    Recommended lenses

I have the Sony/Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 and it's a stunning lens. The other lenses I have are the 35mm Sony f/1.8 with stabilization, the 16mm Sony 2.8 (which I got used for $50), and a 18-55 kit lens that came with an a3000. I also own two adapted manual focus lenses at 50mm and 105mm.

The advantage the 35mm has are that it's a shorter lens than the 24mm and that it has the stabilization.

Since I have the adapted 50mm lens and it's sharp, I'm not in a hurry to get a autofocus 50-55mm, but something in that range makes a nice portrait lens.

Don't have, but somewhat think about getting is the 16-70mm Sony/Zeiss zoom.

The 16mm lens isn't the sharpest lens out there, but can be used with an adaptor from Sony to give you a 12mm lens and a fisheye. If you can find a cheap good used copy, it's one solution to wide and ultra wide for the a6000. This was taken with that one:

[​IMG][/url]FebruaryJinotega-7 by rbb_56, on Flickr[/IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. mentalcase

Nov 11, 2014
    Well I've made my first emount purchase. I noticed buy dig had a deal on the 55-210 for $179 and I jumped. Now I just need my everyday prime and I'll be good to go for a while until I can decide on the 10-18.

Now the 35 1.8 vs 24 1.8. The 24 is noticeably more expensive. Is the quality worth the difference?

• Like Like x 1
  17. mcvu

mcvu TalkEmount Regular

Sep 24, 2014
    Bay Area, CA
    Minh
    Another option is a used FE Zeiss 35/2.8 for around $550

18. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    35 vs 24.... 24 wins for close focus

19. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    True Gary. Sony's E-mount (including regular APS-C E and FE) lens lineup will not be a match for the likes of Nikon, Canon, or even Micro Four Thirds, for some time, if ever. A simple matter of time and size of market to date. But I think the Sony E and FE lens lineup is really starting to improve - including in the area of fast aperture lenses. Fast zooms... not so much.

The 55-210 is a decent lens, for what it is. I also picked one up as my first E-mount AF lens after the kit. It fills in the focal length range nicely up top.
    As for the fast primes, I understand the 35/1.8 has very good image quality and is highly regarded. As is the 24/1.8. Between the two the real deciding factor is what field of view you feel you will prefer and get more use out of. I went through a similar decision making process a couple months ago and, for various reasons including price and availability, chose the Sony 50/1.8 as my first fast prime. While I am pleased with it, I now recognize that something in the 20 - 28 range would suit me better. And that is why I mentioned the upcoming FE 28/2, as I personally cannot swing the price of the Sony-Zeiss 24/1.8. But if you prefer that focal length, then by all means, it is reputed to be a stellar lens as some have already noted.

• Like Like x 1
  20. mentalcase

Nov 11, 2014
    So I received an email an email from UPS late this afternoon that my package was delivered and left at my front door. I leave work all excited and head to Bestbuy so I had a lens to test it with. Went with the 50/1.8 btw. But when I got home there was no package on my front steps. After a quick walk around it was apparent my package was no where to be found. Not sure where it went, but Amazon seems to be taking care of it.

I needed to cure my depression, so back to bestbuy. Been putting it through the ringer all night and I'm throughly impressed. After shooting with it for a few hours my 60d seems way too huge and unnecessary now. So far so good.

• Like Like x 1