Possible Counterfeit Sony NEX-5T Please help.

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by suninthyhands532, Mar 13, 2014.

1. suninthyhands532

suninthyhands532 New to TalkEmount

Mar 13, 2014
    I recently bought a Sony NEX-5T in white from Ebay. It was $545.00 At first glance it looks legit. But when I held it in my hand it felt a little weird. I'm gonna post the photos and you guys let me know if it is a Legit camera or a copy.

If it is a copy it looks pretty damn good. Also I have noticed the part where you hold it on the right hand sounds a bit hollow. Is that because of the NFC chip?

Also when I turn it off and on I hear a loud clicking noise on the inside. As in Cheap china parts.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

photo 1. photo 2. photo 3. photo 4. photo 5.
  2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I think that counterfeiting a Nex would cost quite a lot. You had to copy all the electronics etc. to produce similar product and copy the firmware too. Bootleg ones are of course possible (from quality control rejects etc.) but not a real threat either.
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Just curious - what did it felt weird while holding it???

Could the clicking noise you hear when you turn the camera off be the internal sensor cleaning mode? (the camera is programmed to do that)
  4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ

Try going on Sony's website and registering your camera.

And yes, the clunk could be normal.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. suninthyhands532

suninthyhands532 New to TalkEmount

Mar 13, 2014
    Everytime I turn it on and off it makes that noise. My NEX-5n did not do that. Also when I restore to factory settings the Sony logo doesn't come up its just a black screen then the adjustment of time.

What felt different was the part where you hold the camera where the NFC chip is at.

I just talked to Sony, they told me that they don't have any counterfeits that they know of. So I guess it was just me. Because if this was a counterfeit It is a very good copy. Thanks guys for the help!
  6. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    I have noticed a click/clunk noise also when I shut off my a3000 sometimes. I have assumed it is the shutter closing or reopening as part of an occasional shutdown quirck. Since the a3000 and 5T were introduced at the same time, maybe there's a connection. But I suspect that it is nothing to be worried about... or I hope not for both our sakes.
  7. Andrew Traill

Andrew Traill New to TalkEmount

Jul 4, 2013
    Set it to 3200 and take a few shots. I'd be impressed if a fake could match anywhere near the quality you'd expect. From a casual look it really seems like there is no way that's a fake.