1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Posing in her new dress.

Discussion in 'Portrait' started by nexology, Jun 23, 2013.

1. nexology

nexology New to TalkEmount

Jan 12, 2013
    I love the summer time dresses. Going for vintage, not sure which one I like best.
    Maybe a little help?
    Thanks
    DSC02234 (1).

Attached Files:

2. ponyslaystation

ponyslaystation TalkEmount Regular

Oct 20, 2012
    Your edits look too dark. Her head placement right next to the sculpture creates an annoying tangent that you should note to avoid next time.

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Ya, could be a nice shot if her face was not in the shadows.

4. lowbone

lowbone TalkEmount Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    The road cutting her in half doesn't help at all. Looks like it was taken in harsh midday sun. Use fill flash or shoot earlier-later. I agree with ponyslayatation about the closeness of the head to the sculpture.

5. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    It's tough in the harsh sun. I like the vintage tone with her and the sign in the shot. I think I prefer the second one. She's very pretty.

6. nexology

Jan 12, 2013
    Whew, what a critical bunch we have here. Thank you for your time and replies. I do appreciate the comments, yes all of them. They are all good observations. I did take several shots at this location and this is not the best of them composition wise but I processed it differently then the others. The processing is really what I was hoping to hear some feedback on.

Thanks ChangshaNotes.
    This was one of those driving along moments where we noticed the art, we stopped, make a quick pose and several shots, got back in the car and left. Not a formal shoot, no reflectors, middle of the day and only the on board flash was used.
    I have been playing around with creating the vintage look with aperture and thought this shot would work quite well with her outfit and the art element and thank you for mentioning it.

Thanks for your compliment (I'll pass that along to the model) and thoughts on the vintage tone.

7. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    More complete questions garner more complete (and on topic) answers generally speaking. I, and apparently everyone else thought you were asking on how to improve the pics, not which version we liked better. ;) But in hindsight I see what you were asking. Our bad. :)

8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Go on some of the other forums out there. They can be very critical, rude just downright nasty.

One of the things I enjoy about this forum is that for the most part, even when giving critisisim, it is done without ego and without harshness.

9. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    +1000 . . . this is one of the most civil forums I've ever seen. Nice place to hang out and talk photography.

Tony

10. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    Couldn't agree more. Well said Tony.

11. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    Not keen on the retro colour look myself. I'm wondering what those would look like with a grainy black and white conversion though(?)

12. nexology

Jan 12, 2013
    Something a little fun.
    Thanks for your reply

Attached Files:

13. JTM_CR

JTM_CR TalkEmount Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    Pretty.

14. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran