1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Portraits with Minolta Rokkor 50mm 1.4

Discussion in 'Portrait' started by fractal, Jul 22, 2016.

1. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    NEX-7 + Minolta Rokkor 50mm 1.4 + Pixco focal reducer. I love the way the Rokkor renders colors.

DSC01767-X2.

DSC01773-X2.

DSC01731-X2.

DSC01699-X2.

shot wide open...

DSC01684-X2.

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Beautiful portraits Chris! Subject matters ;)
    Is this the MD or MC? The MD 50 1.4 is also one of my favorite Minolta lenses I currently own (yeap, renders beautifully and great colors) but I'm afraid I'll neglect it when the FE 55 1.8 comes :(

3. fractal

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Thanks Nick and Yes, it's the MD Rokkor X.

• Like Like x 1
  4. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    No Awww Dad! faces today! :)
    She should be thrilled with the results...that first one looks like it came from an art/fashion magazine.
    Very nice!

The MD f/1.4 is one of my favorite 50s too. I think it is slightly better than the MC-PG even though they are supposed to be optically the same.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    It seems that the MC Rokkor-PG 1.4/50 has a different formula from all other Minolta 1.4/50's; both versions of the MD Rokkor 1.4/50 (55mm and 49mm filter thread resp.) also have different optical designs, the 49mm version has the same design as the plain MD 1.4/50. The best wide-open performance is offered by my later Rokkor ΓΈ49mm copy, but I have to add that it is the best of 4 samples of this design and I remember I had one that was vastly inferior, a lot of sample variation here as regards to performance at f/1.4. My present copy is better than my Canon FDn 1.4/50 at f/1.4, but roles are reversed at f/2 where the Canon is really crisp.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Interesting, Ad. I read that the PG and the first MD f/1.4 were the same optical formulas. The website where I read this also did a test between the MC-PG, MD-R 55, and MD-R 49, and declared the 55mm version of the MD-Rokkor to have the best performance.
    But your experience finds the 49mm best.

When I could see a difference between the PG and MD-I 55mm, I thought it must be due to variance and being worn, as my copy of the PG was well used, and my MD was pristine. But if they are in fact different, then that would explain what I saw at f/1.4.
    I will add that I think the MD bested two copies of Canon FD f/1.4 S.S.C. I tried. Haven't yet acquired a FDn copy...perhaps now less urgent with the Rokkor's showing.

7. fractal

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Well, I stand corrected.

I have the MC Rokkor -X PG which has a 55mm thread. In any event, I still love the color rendering.

8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Lovely girl, nicely done

9. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Maybe not. In my experience sample variation can be large when looking at wide-open performance. My best and worst sample came from the same optical design! I think this often explains why opinions vary so widely on a certain lens model and it's also the reason reviews don't say a lot unless you do it like Roger Cicala (LensRentals), testing a bunch of lenses of the same type.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. christilou

christilou TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    Lucky you, great models! I like the colours too :)