Portraits of Cameron

Discussion in 'Portrait' started by fractal, Oct 25, 2017.

1. fractal

fractal TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Comments and constructive criticism welcome. Shot with A7rii + FE85 1.8 and Oly Zuiko 50mm 1.4. Off camera flash with umbrella, Godox TT685s and X1-S, and a few just ambient light.

i-qmk6Jmw-X2.

i-pC2P9Ht-X2.

i-gZNWnjD-X2.

i-8RWxmzH-X2.

i-25njGcr-X2.

i-hrXvTnw-X2.

i-twPJmHX-X2.

i-dWSqkmx-X2.

i-jCXTRbj-X2.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Good set !

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    That one in the covered bridge is a great portrait. Definitely frame-worthy!

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. christilou

christilou TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    Excellent portraits! I like the colour and the natural poses too. He should be very pleased indeed :)

5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I don’t like the pose in some (too centered in the frame in some), the background on some others, and the lighting (of the person and/or the enviroment) on others. BUT, having said that, #8 is perfect in all regards IMO and the bokeh and lighting/ rimlight (sp?) perfect in #9 :bravo-009:

6. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Good shots all. I especially like the lighting effect you achieved in numbers 5 and 6 (with the waterfall and the covered bridge).

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    I like the last one Chris. :2thumbs:

Good use of the off camera flash too. :2thumbs:

#1 the white/hightlight to the left of the sitter, in the background is a bit distracting though. Could do with a burn in post.

8. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Nice work! #5 and 6 are my favorites as well. I like how you added a side light in #5, it brought out the warmth I think needed to highlight his hair and skin tones, and the shadowing gave it more isolation. The bridge shot is classic. A bit cool, probably due to modern FE glass. (I think I can determine which was taken with the FE and Zuiko. :) ) But well lit on the subject. I might have added a back light flash far behind him for an effect to bring out the bridge details.
    I like the composition of #8, but not the skin tone, seems pasty, and probably due to the light or subdued processing. All the elements are ideal, the background bokeh and colors, the redwood patina, reflection, and the pose and smile. Just he doesn't 'pop'.
    #9 you kinda nailed it....classic headshot. Very nice colors and exposure.

9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Handsome young man

10. fractal

fractal TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Thanks everyone for your feedback! I've taken some suggestions and made adjustments.

For example, @WNG@WNG brought up to pale skin color in photo #5 which when taking a second looks at was a great point. I'm finding portrait work to be enjoyable yet very challenging, so having other sets of eyes look at it is very much appreciated. So much to consider. I've moved my flash off camera (which was a big step for me), but never thought I'd get to the point of wanting another flash or strobe. That changed after this session. I could have used another light source, especially with the shot's under the bridge - I thought I could adjust for that in post, but it's not the same.

Here's the "less pasty" #5 shot of Cameron.

i-jKSRjWf-X2.

• Like Like x 2