1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Portrait Photography & model release forms

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Archer, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Archer

Archer TalkEmount Regular

Aug 19, 2013
    London, England
    The area of photography that interests me the most is taking people's portraits and headshots.

I'm just starting out but eventually I want to create my own website with examples of my work.

Is there one model release form that anyone can recommend covers me for all uses and for allowing me to publish an image to the most popular websites such as Getty Images, Shutterstock, etc or do I need their version of the release form?

Also how important is the witness section on the form?

Most of the time I'm expecting to meet the subject on location and since I don't have a studio just do outdoor shots, so there might not be anyone else around to witness the signatures.

2. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Just take a photo of the model signing the release form.

3. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    There's an app (for both iPhones and Android) that does the whole thing. The built in releases are accepted by Getty, etc. It's called, "Easy Release - Model Releases."

Releases, electronic signatures, photo of the model, emailed PDFs of the finished releases -- everything you need. (No, I don't get a cut.)

4. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yep, the app way is the best way. Just one more tip from me: NEVER, and in case you didn't get it I repeat NEVER give Getty images ANY of your photos. They're a total rip off company now, unfortunately.

5. Mathieu Decodts

Mathieu Decodts TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    Another vote for easy release, just a really well designed app (on Android in my case) it's 6 quid or something but worth every penny. Also signing a tablet always impresses clients!