Portrait/macro for sony a7?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by weirdo, Nov 26, 2014.

1. weirdo

weirdo TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 7, 2014
    Hi all, I'm looking for a lens for both macro and portrait. Mainly been looking at tokina 100mm 2.8,Canon ef 100mm and tamron 90mm. Any1 have any suggestions? Is there an legacy that can handle that?
  2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    About all 50-100 mm macro lenses will do both. You won't have narrow depth of field with these, however.

I have 3 lenses for these purposes:
    1) a macro lens (Panagor 90mm macro)
    2) Zeiss Contax 85mm/2.8 Sonnar
    3) Samyang 85mm/1.4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Joe Fotosiamo

Joe Fotosiamo TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 29, 2014
    I've been using the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 HSM Macro A-mount with the LA-EA4 and to a large degree, it's been great for both portrait and macros.

Joe Gunawan Urban Americana 03.jpg
    • Like Like x 8
  4. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    It might be hard to find a lens that will both macro and portrait well. as these two types of shooting require different things from the lens.
  5. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    I have an old Tamron 90mm EF mount and Canon 100mm f2 since I like the faster lens for background.

Tamron has the advantage of closer shots:

Canon 100mm f2 has a better blur due to faster lens:

Usually legacy/macro lenses are easier to focus manually and Tamron has push & pull zoom that is very good. Most of the macro lenses are sharp and you can get the best priced one and I am sure it will be good...
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Dan Euritt

Dan Euritt TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    good bang for the buck: an old tamron sp adaptall-2 90/2.8 rocks on the a7r... 1:2 macro, i think? 52b/52bb are the model numbers.