1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Portrait, E-Mount Prime lenses for aps-c

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by alaios, Apr 10, 2015.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Dear all
    I am looking for longer prime lenses that I could use to support my portrait shooting.
    Currently I am doing my portraiture with my SEL50 but I really need longer reach for higher compression.
    Are there any other native emount lenses that are prime and will not break the bank? No the new 90mm macro lens is not an option..

I would like to thank you for your reply
    Regards
    Alex

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Here's a link to the current list of Sony Emount lenses, Alex, and here's a list that includes the non-Sony Emount lenses. Only you can decide if buying any of them will break the bank.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    David has provided a good link there to the available native E-mount lenses. I'll go ahead and provide another, this one to B&H Photo's page listing all native E- and FE- mount lenses, be they Sony or third parties. It is a US-centric site (in terms of prices and shipping) but does give you a good idea of what is out there.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...=4196380428+4099560915+3999800997&srtclk=sort

One of the key factors will be whether you are willing to look at fully manual lenses or need autofocus and/or electronic aperture control. If you are able to go manual, then the possibilities open up. Samyang/Rokinon provide several prime lenses above 50mm, including an apparently well-regarded 85mm f/1.4. Of course, if you are willing to go manual, then that also opens up the wild and wonderful world of legacy manual focus lenses and adapters.

If you need autofocus and electronic aperture control, then the field narrows down substantially... there are only two such primes above 50mm, the SEL5518ZA and the Sigma 60/2.8... wait, make that three, the FE 90/2.8 Macro you mentioned. In zooms, you have a number of choices that reach up above 50mm, starting with the afforadable SEL55210. I've used it in the 90 - 135mm range and it can yield some decent results as long as you have enough light.

4. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
  5. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
  6. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    why would one buy then this specific model and not some older manual focus lens? Does it mean that recent technology produces better glass?

7. Kirkp

Kirkp TalkEmount Regular

Nov 2, 2014
    I doubt you'd choose this option, but with a focal reducer (e.g., SpeedBooster or LensTurbo) and a legacy 135mm f/2.8 lens you effectively have an approximately 100mm f/2 lens. That could be interesting for portraits. It's not a cost-effective option unless you have other uses for the focal reducer, but if you've considered getting one this give you one more excuse to get it.. :)

8. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    In some cases, yes. Newer lenses may have better coatings, for instance, which can give you better contrast and less flare.

9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    There is high quality glass today, just as there was in the past.

10. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Well, I did say "in some cases," and "may have," Dave.;)

11. michelb

michelb TalkEmount Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    Greater Montreal area in Quebec, Canada
    Michel Brien
    If you use a 135mm F 2.8 legacy on APS-C, the field of view of this will now be 135mm X 1.5 = 202,5mm equivalent
    Using a Lens Turbo will reduce this focal length back to about ,72 ( 202,5mm X ,72 = 145,8mm ) so now back to 145mm F2 . No 100mm here !

12. Kirkp

Kirkp TalkEmount Regular

Nov 2, 2014
    The OP and subsequent posts were discussing actual focal lengths not FF equivalents. So 97mm is the approximate focal length of my proposal when comparing to the other lenses they were discussing (50, 60, 85, 90, etc.)
    Lately I've been reading that head & shoulders portraits are best done with 200mm or longer (FF equivalent). If the OP was looking for that, a 135mm lens on aps-c sensor without a focal reducer would barely get there (135x1.5=203).

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  13. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thanks for your suggestions.. I guess we could agree as "community" that we need more lenses that are at the same brilliant level of the SEL50 tha do not break the bank. Also a zoom lens that has a small zoom magnifier like 2x or 3x at the portrait range would also be beneficial.
    I am sure sony hear us and will reward us with such lenses soon
    Alex

14. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    If you're willing to use an adaptor, then the Sony 85mm f/2.8 is a bargain. I've talked about it on my blog (but for full-frame) at:
    http://www.billdanby.com/2015/01/the-e-mount-85mm-gap.html

I'm hoping for a Loxia 85mm. But until then, the Sony 85 offers surprisingly good performance.

15. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I think the only native option for now is the 18-105mm powered zoom, albeit, a bit slow at f/4, and not certain how the bokeh will look like for portraiture.

I've chosen the manual-focus option to fill the focal length void.

16. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thanks for recommending me the adaptor think.
    how much would be for the adaptor and the lens
    and how fast the auto focus is in such cases?
    Regards
    Alex

17. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    I am still thinking on this since the 85mm 2.8 is really a bargain.. I am just trying to understand if I should go for EA2 or EA1 adapter. If I am not wrong EA2 support also phase focusing (which means real fast focusing...)
    I am not sure though where this adapter think will get me to the A-Mount lenses. What are the lenses that are good to have a look (regardless of my portraiture focal lengths) that I might be intresting in the future to invest
    Alex