1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Portrait Business

Discussion in 'Portrait' started by Aurora, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Aurora

Aurora TalkEmount Regular

I've had my nex c3 for two years now and I love taking photos, mostly nature photography but am now getting more and more requests from friends and family to take portraits of their children and whole family. I've done it a couple times as a favor, but am being encouraged to start a little business. I'm afraid people who will hire me will be turned off by my camera because it's not a dslr. I have had many people ask me with a funny look on their face, "what kind of camera is that?!" Should I get over that and do childrens portraits and family portraits? Here are some photos of my friends six month old I took. Let me know what you think?

DSC05525. DSC05517. DSC05545. DSC05552. DSC05610. DSC05502.

• Like Like x 1
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    1) those are great baby portraits, and I think any parent would be very pleased to have them, but 2) for many people, appearance is reality, and if you show up with a NEX for a "professional" shoot, those people will be put off, and will not be able to overcome their perception of your camera. It's silly, but there's no getting around it. If you want professional work, you have to appear professional.

3. Aurora

That's what I think & hopefully in another year or so I will have a more professional looking camera:)

4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Those are excellent!!! #1 and #2 are my favourites :thumbup:

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Very true.

Still you got some great shots.

6. Aurora

Can I use my Sony E-mount lens sony-nex-18-200mm-lens. on a Nikon D7100 or something similar?

7. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Sorry, that's impossible, it only fits on a Sony NEX camera. If I remember correctly, there are adapters to mount a Sony NEX lens on a µ4/3 camera but that's not what you're after. Any DSLR has a much larger distance between the mount and the sensor, so an E-mount lens will never fit a DSLR.

8. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    Only the other way around, you can mount all Nikon F mount lenses on NEX and manual focus. Those with aperture ring and built as manual focus lenses work pretty well.

9. Aurora

Okay, that is what I thought. I had read somewhere this, "Sony a lenses featuring the Digital Technology (DT) label are perfect for mounting on APS-C DSLR" I was trying to figure that out.

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    Way to rock that C3! :cool:

11. Archer

Archer TalkEmount Regular

Aug 19, 2013
    London, England
    Funnily enough I've had the same exact thoughts as yourself, about starting a portrait business and what would people think if I used an NEX camera as it's so small.

I think if you turned up with all the other bits of kit like flashes, light boxes, etc then people will overlook the actual camera.
    And the actual lenses themselves are pretty big.

In the camera world so many people think bigger always equals better but how professional would they think you were if you turned up with one of those giant mobile phones from the 1980's.

I think if you have set a website with examples of your photos then people will have some extra confidence in how your photos will turn out.

12. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    A big debate.

Especially starting out you want to be taken seriously, and compacts just don't demand proffesional respect.

The biggest concern for me is to not be limited by the equipment brought. Portraits are easy enough, but you don't want to be explaining that you did not get that funny moment because your AF was not fast enough.

As much as I love the compacts, and the NEX line in particular, if I was starting a business I would have to go with a DSLR. The 6 and 7 NEX are closing the gap, just not there yet for proffesional daily use.

13. Aurora

I would definitely have a website and portfolio. Also, I'd charge $50 per hour session which is a great deal. Other photographers in my area charge over $100 per session and I think I have just as good of quality and creative style as them.

I'd like to use natural light, and do mostly portraits of babies, children, and couples in a natural setting.

14. Red Bull 2013

Red Bull 2013 TalkEmount Regular

Mar 21, 2013
    Bokeh .... I love it, especially the fourth pic. If you were enlightened compared with the blend (I understand that you like natural light) was the dream. I have not seen (maybe I missed thousand), which lens did you use?

15. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    All the time I see people with big DSLRs that don't know how to use them (even today, a tourist with a DSLR taking photos at 10 o'clock in the morning under our intense Mediterranean sun and using a ....flash :? )
    So, I don't believe presenting a DSLR instanly makes you a pro photographer or presenting a Nex makes you a non-professional - the photos should do the talking but that's just my humble opinion...

16. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Agreed fully!

17. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I agree completely. But unfortunately, when dealing with customers, the way you appear makes a big difference in whether or not you get the job. It's not right, and it's not fair, but it is what it is. :uncomfortableness:

18. Aurora

Well, I am kind of hoping Sony makes a 4/3 style dslr e-mount because I would use it for a business. I have too much invested with my e-mount 200mm lens and cannot afford another whole setup, atleast not for another 2 years & I don't want to wait that long!

19. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Totally agree. Especially when getting established, image is crucial.

My brother has a higher end Nikon, but never leaves Auto mode.

20. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Why???
    I mean, the thing you'd have to present to a customer is your portfolio and be judjed according to that - no one needs to see the camera at that stage...

Same here. My cousin recently bought a entry-level Canon DSLR and while we was showing it off to me I showed him my mirrorless. He wondered with an hint of irony in his look. Then we compared photos...:D His are no more than cellphone snapshots :p
    I then asked him some basic tech questions about his settings - he didn't know what to answer to most and said "I really only use AutoMode" to which I responded "oh, ok I see..." I think he's back to using a P&S now :p