1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Poor selection of affordable E mount lenses

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Chris Munden, May 13, 2016.

1. Chris Munden

Chris Munden TalkEmount Regular

May 13, 2016
    Peter Bower
    After purchasing a A6000 body I am am not impressed with the performances of the kit lenses which I tried but returned and even the high end E fit lenses in some instances. I now use my Alpha A mount lenses with the LA-EA3 adapter and use manual focus, but, I can't win there either as there is no IBIS on the A6000 and the A mount lenses have no OSS. I'm tempted to throw the towel in and jump ship to another brand. I don't think Sony have done very well with E mount lenses

• Like Like x 1
  2. Alex66

Alex66 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2014
    I found the 50mm OSS and 30mm macro to be quite nice and the 18-55 was OK, certainly no worse than the original Olympus EP1 kit lens. The Tele zoom I think is alright but I am a very low user of such a lens, I don't know about Fuji options for cost but feel most of the low end lenses are ok with regard to what they cost. Where having a DSLR is an advantage is the options provided by third party lenses, some of them can be obtained on the used market for a very good price.

3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Do it while you still can without losing too much money.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    Chris, you say you are not impressed with the kit lenses you have tried for the A6000. I take that as a simple statement of fact and I will not argue with it. I have seen some images on this site from the A6000 that impress me very much. About the E mount lenses, it appears to some of us on this site that Sony has prioritized the more expensive lenses first and then tend to fill in with lower cost options later.

There are several very good camera systems out there. I hope you find the right fit for you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Chris Munden

May 13, 2016
    Peter Bower
    Thanks Alex, I find a zoom range, 16/18 - 50/55 very useful for my landscape work and the 2 kit lenses that are available are the E mount 18-55 and the Pancake 16-50 which is pretty bad optically. Even the Zeiss 16-70 tested by Photozone.de was abysmal according to their review and no where near worth the money. Another point worth raising is, several review sites have said that there are very few lenses in the E mount range that does the 24mp sensor justice, the nearest Photozone said they got was a Sony A mount 16-50 F/2.8 mounted via an adapter. I don't think Sony have thought this through very well and they won't survive just selling high end high price lenses. Ephotozine review of the 18-200 SEL zoom said it defeats the object of having a CSC, as there is more lens than camera and it looks like a credit card fixed to the end of a long beer can.
    I think Olympus and Panasonic have the CSC market sewn up. Bottom line, love the A6000 camera BUT! I will look around at the used market

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. southy

southy TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 5, 2014
    Australia
    Chris, I'm gathering when you say kit lens you are talking about the PZ16-50. Its a kit zoom, it won't set the world on fire but i've used it in the past with decent results. For kit zooms on APSC E mount my preference is the 18-55 in which I have a nice copy and still use on my NEX5R. There are a number of revered prime lenses for APSC E mount including the Zeiss 24mm, Sony 35 and 50 1.8 OSS. The Sigma trilogy, 19/30/60 f28, Zeiss Tuoit 12, 32 and 50 as well as the Samyang/Rokinon 12mm f2. If these don't suit there are also the very nice FE lenses. I know people complain about having to buy expensive full frame lenses for APSC but this is no different to Canon/Nikon DSLR.

If this is not of interest to you then there are other systems they may be better suited to your style of photography. If I ever move away from the Sony E Mount System the Fuji X mount is very enticing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Chris Munden

May 13, 2016
    Peter Bower
    Thanks Ad and Bert, I originally chose the A6000 because of the rave reviews and it was an APS-C format. Some of the pics I get using my Alpha A mount 18-135 are superb but at longer lengths I need a tripod as there is no IBIS or OSS.
    I'm wondering now if the new Sigma MC-11 adapter in Canon to E mount will enable me to use Sigma lenses in Canon mount that will also have OSS, not an ideal situation and it will be an expensive experiment.

8. demiro

demiro TalkEmount Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    I generally, like most folks, have not benefited from swapping out gear because of perceived shortcomings. But when I went full-Fuji it was a difference maker for me. I think new pricing for Fuji X is still a bit salty, but you can find some nice deals on used stuff. X-E2 + 18-55 + 50-230 + 35/1.4 shouldn't set you back more than $1200. And that is a helluva kit. X-E2 with latest firmware is almost like a brand new camera. The 18-55 is the best kit lens I have ever owned. The 50-230 is very cheap, but very underrated imo, and the 35/1.4 is a premium-ish lens at a very modest price.

• Like Like x 1
  9. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Every camera system comes with its own set of compromises, Peter. "Affordable lenses" is not on the top of my list of what attracted me to, and keeps me in Sony's E-mount system. If it's not working for you, then perhaps it's best to cut your losses and look elsewhere. Life is short. Eat dessert first.

Love your avatar, though. :thumbup:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Try the new Sigma 30mm 1.4 DC DN. It's a bit spendy, but for what you get it's actually quite a bargain!

11. pbizarro

pbizarro TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Portugal
    "Affordable" is entirely subjective, of course. There are maybe today around 50 native E mount lenses, from Sony, Zeiss, Voigtlander, even Samyang. Lenses one can use without any adapters. Within that population of lenses, there are cheaper and dearer ones. If you all you require is a high quality general zoom for your A6000, look into the SEL 16-35 f4, top quality.

You may look elsewhere on APSC, but good lenses will always be dearer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    I think abysmal is an overstatement here. Some lenses are meant to be used with lens corrections, the 16-50 is one of them and I would bet the 16-70 needs them to some extent. There are other reviews out there where the 16-70 does good (Imaging resource, DXO), maybe not good enough to warrant it's price tag but still good. From all the accounts, the center areas are so sharp on this lens that the corners being softer is magnified. I personally don't own the 16-70 but if you look at samples posted here and on other sites, it is definitely more than capable of good results. There is also the 18-105 power zoom as well which is probably smaller than using an SLR lens with an adapter. Olympus and Panasonic have some good lenses but when you start looking at the better zooms, they are also quite large and "defeats the object of having a CSC" as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Chris Munden

May 13, 2016
    Peter Bower
    Thanks guys, I take on board all your advice and suggestions, Yes, played with a Fuji XT10, super bit of kit as are the Fujinon lenses. I have seen some good offers on a Samsung NX30 kit (great kit lenses too), although they seem to have stopped camera production at least for Europe. Hab I read some where that all the Sony Zeiss lenses or most of them are made by Tamron as were some earlier Minolta zooms.
    I'm doing some extensive market research at the moment. Any one got a view on the Tamron E mount 18-200 compared to the Sony 18-200

14. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Yeah, I keep hearing how "bad" the 16-70 is but the photos i view taken by it seem to disagree.

The 24mm 1.8 is a great versatile lens. The 35mm 1.8 is very good as is the SEL 50mm 1.8. The Sigma 19mm 2.8 has limitations but hits above it's weight class. Right there is a pretty nice kit.

The comment about the 18-200 "defeating the purpose of a CSC" is ridiculous. Were they expecting a pancake 18-200? I used mine for several years before selling it (now wish I didn't). It's a great "all in one" travel lens and terrific for video if you need. The 18-105mm is also good and priced right.

Don't rely too much on DXO and other "technical" reviews. It has some value but should not be the sole deciding factor.

I would say, without having used the Fuji system, that net-net Fuji offers a better lens line up. But the Sony APS-C offers smaller size and is a step ahead in sensor, not to mention better at handling adapted lenses and gives you at least some path to Full Frame.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    So basically you are basing your opinion according to the online reviews and not by trying them out yourself?
    Personally I find the apsc e-mount lens lineup pretty good but I'm not pixel peeping...
    Like David said, if the system isn't working FOR YOU, then perhaps it would be wise to move to a different system (although personally I don't think you would find anything marginally better)

16. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    First time I've heard of this...
    I don't think that is correct :)

Are you sure you're not mistaken them with the case with the Pentax FF lenses? :D

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  17. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

It's been mainly the lack of a decent standard zoom lens for my NEX and the poor low-light performance (noisy EVF) that made me buy an X-Pro1 and some lenses some years ago but as I've said before it's not all roses in Fujiland either. I personally don't care too much for Fuji's overprocessed jpgs and film simulations and as you might have heard maxing out Fuji RAWs is a different story altogether. I do like their excellent fast glass, hybrid viewfinders, handling and Hi-ISO performance though - these things have stopped me from throwing my Fuji stuff out of the window more than once :biggrin:

I'm very happy with my copy, Chris. Apart from the size and the slightly slow f2.8 my copy perfoms much, much better overall than all the SEL20f28 and SEL16f28 I've tried over the years, including some 18mm Fujinons. Regarding the SEL20f28 all three copies that I've owned suffered from 1. significant decentering 2. incredible vignetting (more then 2.5 stops wide open) and 3. noticeable softness and mushy borders/corners.
    Heck, what's wrong with Sony if they're not able to come up with a decent wide angle lens or a standard or long zoom lens for their ??? NEXes and Ax... they've rolled out in the last 6! years?

18. Chris Munden

May 13, 2016
    Peter Bower
    I agree about the over processed Jpegs from Fuji, although its been liked through out the industry, Olympus still hold the Jpeg crown in my view but even there, there is some obvious over processing going on at higher ISO. As for colour/lens performance, I always found Canon great, especially for landscapes and natural scenery. I'm slightly impressed with Canon EOS M3, the kit lenses get good reviews, (what there is of them) but the range is slowly increasing. Trouble is no EVF, but at least you can get a bolt-on at a price, although WEX are offering an all in one deal. I think logically, the way forward for me with my A6000 is primes, at least it keeps the package small. I already have the Sigma 30mm F/2.8 art and its superb, its the sharpest lens I have, so I will look for a wide, may be a 19, or 20. The Sigma 60-mm gets raved about but I would probably go for something a bit shorter around 50-mm

19. HabsFan

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    I just picked up a 20mm used a few weeks ago. I have not noticed any major issues with it. I actually found it was pretty even across the frame with no major falloff in sharpness towards the edges. I used to own the Sigma 19 but got rid of it because the focus was a little slow and was a bit on the large side. My main reason to get the 20mm was for its compact size to replace the 16mm. While I did not have the Sigma and Sony at the same time to compare against each other, I did compare both against the kit lens. I would say the Sigma is noticeably sharper in the middle between 2.8-3.5 and then after that, it is less noticeable. The 20mm is decent given the compromises it has to make for it's tiny size. I'd prefer something a bit longer (24mm-ish) for a compact prime but can't cough up the dough for the Zeiss 24, and it's also a bit on the big side for a compact kit.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. HabsFan

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    There are 3 Sony E-mount 18-200 lenses:

1. Original SEL 18-200 (Silver fat version)
    2. 18-200LE (Smaller black version)
    3. 18-200 Power Zoom.
    There is also the Tamron 18-200 Lens as well which is said to be the same lens as the Sony 18-200LE (black) lens. There have been some compatibility issues with the Tamron and panoramas from what I remember.

Anyways, I used to own the 18-200LE. It was actually a relatively compact lens given it's range. The Sony 55-210 lens was actually longer (but lighter). The 18-200 LE was actually pretty good...as good as the kit lenses and sometimes better. It was better at 18mm and softer at 200mm but still usable but focus was sluggish at the long end on my NEX-5N. I suspect it would do better on a newer body.

Here are some images from an Air show I went to last year where I only used this lens:

Vintage Wings of Canada air show in Gatineau, QC

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1