1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Polluted camera sensor

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Frank Teurlings, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Frank Teurlings

Frank Teurlings TalkEmount Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Netherlands
    Someone familiar with the phenomenon that the NEX cameras very sensitive to dust on the sensor. However, it is not substance but it seems to me more on oil splashes. Pretty fast I have him only 1 month. Or the sat there already and here I of course him when not checked.

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Well, I've noticed that the NEX is a bit more prone to dust on the sensor than dslr cameras because of the short registration distance & large diameter lens mount.

Oily residue I have not seen though.

3. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    I don't have this problem with my NEX.

What comes to mind however, is that if the camera body is statically charged then it will attract dust and other particles... and if the mount is open, then also onto the sensor itself. I am just speculating and could be wrong. But in very cold climates, the camera goes in and out of heated indoors and cold outdoors, and always getting in contact with wool or nylon clothing and also gloves. Could this statically charge the camera body, perhaps?

4. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    Touch wood, haven't experienced any dust problems yet. I have so far thought that the NEX is one of the better cameras when it comes to dust spots. My Fuji X Pro 1 is also good. My Canon DSLR's are terrible though, I'm always cleaning the sensors on those!

5. RalllyFan

RalllyFan TalkEmount Regular

Dec 2, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Tom
    And no mirror! Dust is a fairly common problem for me, but it's an easy problem to deal with.

As far as oil goes...I have no idea where that would come from. Only thing I can think of is the shutter was lubed too much or incorrectly in the factory (if they even lube shutters these days)?

6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Haha! I guess I don't miss what I don't see when I look inside the camera. :p

7. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    If my static hunch has some influence, I'm thinking plastic DSLR bodies may keep any accumulated static for longer because plastic is an insulator. A metal body (like the NEX) would discharge small amounts of built-up static, the moment we touch it.

Perhaps...

8. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    Both my DSLR bodies are metal, but I would say its a good theory nonetheless.

9. Nagenk

Nagenk TalkEmount Regular

Jan 16, 2013
    Its very easy to clean dust of the NEX sensor, but for oil you might have to use specialized cleaning swabs. Better take the camera to service center and let them clean.
    If done wrongly the cleaning may have some unrecoverable effects on the thin AA filter over the sensor.

10. Frank Teurlings

Frank Teurlings TalkEmount Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Netherlands

Yes I am also planning. Everyone says it's easy, will also be true but I bring him to a specialized company.