1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

POLL: Do you use a LAPTOP or DESKTOP for photo processing?

Discussion in 'Post-Production' started by TedG954, Jul 28, 2018.

1. LAPTOP

14 vote(s)
    42.4%
  2. DESKTOP

19 vote(s)
    57.6%
  1. TedG954

TedG954 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2014
    South Florida and NE Ohio
    Ted Gersdorf
    I am wondering how many of you use a laptop or a full size desktop computer for processing your photographs. I use a desktop with 24GB of RAM. It's not a speedster, but it works fine for processing my A7RII uncompressed files.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  2. tino84

tino84 TalkEmount Regular

Feb 20, 2014
    Did you forgot tablet? :) 
    I use my IPad as I ain’t time to stay in front of my little desktop.

PS: a question, how many ghz and mb of ram would be necessary to a pc to be “speedster” for home usage?
    I run an Amd Am1 and I load raw in few seconds without problems

3. TedG954

TedG954 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2014
    South Florida and NE Ohio
    Ted Gersdorf

You're right. I never even considered a TABLET. Going forward, just include TABLET with LAPTOP.

As for your question, I don't know the answer, but I know some people run a lot more than 24MB.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  4. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    I switched to my desktop for editing and tablet for travel and quick uploads for social media. Saying that, I'm starting to look into a lightweight travel laptop.

5. Didn't vote. I got an old desktop and laptop, use them both for PP.

6. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    17" Laptop with a 4K display. I do have a desktop, which doesn't get much use any more. Also have a 4K monitor that I can use with the laptop as well. Never bothered to check if the old laptop could even do 4K.

7. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    I use either. I sometimes even use my iPhone. All my pics eventually end up in lightroom on my PC, though.

8. runnerpsu

runnerpsu TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2016
    South Florida
    15 in MacBook Pro with 8 meg of memory. LR handles my 24 M/P files easily.

9. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Erm... where's the option for both? o_O 

My laptop is one of those convertibles (like a Surface Pro, except it's an HP Elite x2), but I only use it when travelling. Most of the time I use a full desktop rig with graphics card.

10. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I have both available, although the desktops are older AMD Phenom II X4 CPUs overclocked to 3.9GHz. They can still get the job done, but they aren't fast by contemporary standards. I just don't have the desire these days to put up with cooling fan noise and electric bills of a desktop.
    Instead, I use a spare laptop as a desktop. A Dell Latitude i5 2.5GHz dual core business laptop, driving a 27" Asus IPS monitor. It can be set to stay maxed in Turbo mode, so its cores are actually at 3.2 GHz constantly under load. Its cooling fan is barely audible. With a main 256 GB SSD and 1 TB secondary storage onboard. It has been able to process 24 Mp uncrompressed raw files acceptably well. Capture 1 takes a tick less than 2 sec. to load a raw into the library. For some I guess that's an eternity. ;) 
    It has great I/O with e-SATA and USB 3 ports, both utilized for speedy external backups of 7 TB.
    I'll have to replace it eventually, because it can't drive a 4K monitor.

11. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I’ve got a laptop (MacBook Pro) hooked up to a couple of 27” monitors. Can I select both laptop and desktop? :D 

12. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    I use both too, depends if I'm home or away.

13. DaveC

DaveC TalkEmount Regular

Aug 5, 2017
    For quite a few years, I've been only using a laptop, sometimes plugged into an external monitor.

14. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    10" HP i7 Laptop

15. sesser

sesser TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2016
    randy
    24MB of memory? 8MB memory?! Did I fall asleep and wake up in 1988? :hmmm:

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Mostly desktop. Some laptop on the road, here and there. The software has gotten a lot better. It used to be really painful to work on a netbook. Now not so bad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. firemist

firemist TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 4, 2015
    LapTop (MBP) with a Dell 24" monitor

18. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    As others have said, both. Sometimes I am at home and sometimes I travel. I use whiever is more convenient. I voted for Desktop because that larger monitor helps a bit.

19. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Interesting poll.

I use a desktop because I don’t like editing on small screens. Based on the responses it seems that many people that are using laptops and connecting them to desktop monitors; basically a hybrid solution. One answer even had a 17” laptop which is effectively a desktop replacement.

It seems the difference is not with the power but the monitor for most people. I would be curious to see the results if the poll asked desktop monitor or laptop screen.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Laptop (i7 HP Envy) but it’s got a rather large screen at 17”

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.