1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Pleased with the 55-210 lens

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Kiwi Paul, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    I got this lens a few days ago, I've not done exhaustive shooting with it yet but from what I've done it seems a very good lens, especially considering it's essentially a kit lens.
    The photo below was taken with my A7Rii + 55-210 in APS-C mode, I think the detail, resolution and contrast are very good, especially when you consider the price of the lens. It makes a great small lightweight telephoto lens when you want to travel light.

28373795882_f2bce46ea5_b.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    I have been pretty happy with mine also. As I mentioned in another thread, I sometimes want more reach and have been considering the FE 70-300, but it is a bigger heavier lens, to say nothing of the big price difference. I see you also have the 70-200, which is supposed to be superb.

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I've had this one for a while, very great results as long as you have good light.

4. Kiwi Paul

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    I've got a Canon 70-200 L f4 lens not the Sony 70-200, I use the Canon with a Fotodiox adapter, the Canon was much cheaper than the Sony and works fine on static or slow moving subjects but the tracking AF isn't that great.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Chris Munden

Chris Munden TalkEmount Regular

May 13, 2016
    Peter Bower
    Kiwi, i'm looking to use Canon lenses on my A6000 via an adaptor, mainly because of the choice, cost, performance and OSS, The Fotodiox adaptor seems to get good reviews and as I mainly take static subjects it should do the trick. As you may have seen my other posts on the E mount APS-C lenses, i'm not too impressed at what is on offer for the NEX/A600 E mount

6. Nino Xerri

Nino Xerri TalkEmount Regular

Jun 13, 2016
    Nino Xerri
    Agree 100% with you Paul. I am pleased with my 55-210 as well. Here is an image from last year. #2 The Assumption Cathedral Messina.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kiwi Paul

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    Hmmmm, while the Canon lenses work on the A6000 the auto focus may not, or at least not very well, the only Canon lens I have now is the 70-200L f4 and it works OK on the A7Rii but won't auto focus on the A6000, it just hunts and stuff, I don't know what the other lenses are like.

Paul

8. Nino Xerri

Jun 13, 2016
    Nino Xerri
    Hi again Paul. All the lenses I have that are not Sony although all being AF, DO NOT Auto Focus on the a6000. And also lose their respective Optical Stabilisation. But I am not really all that concerned about this as they all produce results that I am happy with. I guess it is "going back to the time of our forefathers" who never had AF and OS lenses nor cameras.

9. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    if you want good ad with Canon lenses you should get the Metabones IV with Latest firmware. It allows fast (to the cameras capabilities) AF on all e-mount cameras. Most people have said it works great even on OG A7r and A7s contrast detect cameras.

10. Nino Xerri

Jun 13, 2016
    Nino Xerri
    Am I wrong in thinking that Metabones have not made a Nikon equivalent to that of Canon?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    TBH I started with low expectations so I was pleasantly surprised, that said it has it's weak points for sure.

The things that I liked:

• it is a whole lot sharper than I expected, some of the perceived sharpness may be due to good microcontrast straight out of camera, but the bottom line is, it's sharp.
    • In good light, it's pretty decent in tracking a moving subject. I did a number of shots of my kids tubing, from a fast moving boat, and they came out better than expected. I still have Nex-6 and even with it's autofocus I was getting good results.
    • It's light and portable and at $150 or so used, relatively expendable.
    • It has good color rendering.
    The things I didn't like:
    • For a tele lens, it has a rather harsh bokeh when there's lots of out of focus highlights in the background. My old Canon 55-250 IS produced creamier, smoother bokeh.
    • In dim light, the AF is slow and hunts a lot.
    All in all, it's not a bad lens, if you don't pay the full price for it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Kiwi Paul

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    Frankly I can't think of a reason not to get a used 16-50 and 55-210 even if you only have an A7 series camera, in the UK the 16-50 can be bought used for around £70 and the 55-210 for £120. They can be used on the A7xx cameras offering a really compact APS-C option when you are just out for a stroll and don't want to be lugging about bigger gear, the IQ for that situation is absolutely fine.

13. Jazzer

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Kiwi Paul

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    Thanks for the link, he's a good photographer, looking at his album list he's tried most of the E mount lenses and bodies, is he a reviewer or something? I'm wondering how he has access to so much gear.

15. Jazzer

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    He is a a Sony "artisan of imagery" out of Australia, I believe. They must get all of the Sony gear to test and promote.