Pleased with the 55-210 lens

Kiwi Paul

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Paul
I got this lens a few days ago, I've not done exhaustive shooting with it yet but from what I've done it seems a very good lens, especially considering it's essentially a kit lens.
The photo below was taken with my A7Rii + 55-210 in APS-C mode, I think the detail, resolution and contrast are very good, especially when you consider the price of the lens. It makes a great small lightweight telephoto lens when you want to travel light.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Jazzer

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Larry
I have been pretty happy with mine also. As I mentioned in another thread, I sometimes want more reach and have been considering the FE 70-300, but it is a bigger heavier lens, to say nothing of the big price difference. I see you also have the 70-200, which is supposed to be superb.

Kiwi Paul

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Paul
I have been pretty happy with mine also. As I mentioned in another thread, I sometimes want more reach and have been considering the FE 70-300, but it is a bigger heavier lens, to say nothing of the big price difference. I see you also have the 70-200, which is supposed to be superb.
I've got a Canon 70-200 L f4 lens not the Sony 70-200, I use the Canon with a Fotodiox adapter, the Canon was much cheaper than the Sony and works fine on static or slow moving subjects but the tracking AF isn't that great.

Chris Munden

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Peter Bower
Kiwi, i'm looking to use Canon lenses on my A6000 via an adaptor, mainly because of the choice, cost, performance and OSS, The Fotodiox adaptor seems to get good reviews and as I mainly take static subjects it should do the trick. As you may have seen my other posts on the E mount APS-C lenses, i'm not too impressed at what is on offer for the NEX/A600 E mount

Nino Xerri

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Nino Xerri
Agree 100% with you Paul. I am pleased with my 55-210 as well. Here is an image from last year.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Kiwi Paul

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Paul
Kiwi, i'm looking to use Canon lenses on my A6000 via an adaptor, mainly because of the choice, cost, performance and OSS, The Fotodiox adaptor seems to get good reviews and as I mainly take static subjects it should do the trick. As you may have seen my other posts on the E mount APS-C lenses, i'm not too impressed at what is on offer for the NEX/A600 E mount
Hmmmm, while the Canon lenses work on the A6000 the auto focus may not, or at least not very well, the only Canon lens I have now is the 70-200L f4 and it works OK on the A7Rii but won't auto focus on the A6000, it just hunts and stuff, I don't know what the other lenses are like.

Paul

Nino Xerri

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Nino Xerri
Hi again Paul. All the lenses I have that are not Sony although all being AF, DO NOT Auto Focus on the a6000. And also lose their respective Optical Stabilisation. But I am not really all that concerned about this as they all produce results that I am happy with. I guess it is "going back to the time of our forefathers" who never had AF and OS lenses nor cameras.

WestOkid

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Gary
if you want good ad with Canon lenses you should get the Metabones IV with Latest firmware. It allows fast (to the cameras capabilities) AF on all e-mount cameras. Most people have said it works great even on OG A7r and A7s contrast detect cameras.

Nino Xerri

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Nino Xerri
Am I wrong in thinking that Metabones have not made a Nikon equivalent to that of Canon?

Amamba

TalkEmount All-Pro
TBH I started with low expectations so I was pleasantly surprised, that said it has it's weak points for sure.

The things that I liked:

• it is a whole lot sharper than I expected, some of the perceived sharpness may be due to good microcontrast straight out of camera, but the bottom line is, it's sharp.
  • In good light, it's pretty decent in tracking a moving subject. I did a number of shots of my kids tubing, from a fast moving boat, and they came out better than expected. I still have Nex-6 and even with it's autofocus I was getting good results.
  • It's light and portable and at $150 or so used, relatively expendable.
  • It has good color rendering.
The things I didn't like:
  • For a tele lens, it has a rather harsh bokeh when there's lots of out of focus highlights in the background. My old Canon 55-250 IS produced creamier, smoother bokeh.
  • In dim light, the AF is slow and hunts a lot.
All in all, it's not a bad lens, if you don't pay the full price for it.

Kiwi Paul

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Paul
Frankly I can't think of a reason not to get a used 16-50 and 55-210 even if you only have an A7 series camera, in the UK the 16-50 can be bought used for around £70 and the 55-210 for £120. They can be used on the A7xx cameras offering a really compact APS-C option when you are just out for a stroll and don't want to be lugging about bigger gear, the IQ for that situation is absolutely fine.

Jazzer

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Larry
Thanks for the link, he's a good photographer, looking at his album list he's tried most of the E mount lenses and bodies, is he a reviewer or something? I'm wondering how he has access to so much gear.
He is a a Sony "artisan of imagery" out of Australia, I believe. They must get all of the Sony gear to test and promote.

johnson4096

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Dan Johnson
I like my 55-210. It's sharper than I had thought it would be based on some negative reviews. Suffice it to say that I've tried many lenses in that focal length and the Sony is better than expected and does not make me regret buying it. My lens is the SEL55210 O.S.S.

Reciprocity Failure

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Bryan
Good to see the positive reviews for this lens. I'm tempted to buy it.... I have a trip coming up where I'm really limited by space, and the Sony plus my 16-50 and the 55-210 might be all I need.

I've learned you can't always trust the online reviews. I was looking at the reviews for this lens on B&H's site and decided its best to take them with a grain of salt. One review was clearly talking about a different lens (since his went to 300mm), one was talking about a video camera, and one I think was talking about a telescope. Not was bad as one lens on Adorama's site; it was for a 70-300 mirrorless lens but all of its 200+ reviews were for the full-size DSLR version. Not helpful. But I think they eventually fixed that issue.

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
Good to see the positive reviews for this lens. I'm tempted to buy it.... I have a trip coming up where I'm really limited by space, and the Sony plus my 16-50 and the 55-210 might be all I need.

I've learned you can't always trust the online reviews. I was looking at the reviews for this lens on B&H's site and decided its best to take them with a grain of salt. One review was clearly talking about a different lens (since his went to 300mm), one was talking about a video camera, and one I think was talking about a telescope. Not was bad as one lens on Adorama's site; it was for a 70-300 mirrorless lens but all of its 200+ reviews were for the full-size DSLR version. Not helpful. But I think they eventually fixed that issue.

Ya, in decent light it is a workable and useful lens.

Michael J.

TalkEmount Regular
I bought today a 55-210 lens. I know from my experience what I need for Telephoto zoom lens. I am not a birder or a telephoto lowlight photographer. For my needs it fits perfect - flowers, landscape and some portraits.

I was reading reviews, watching vdo's and I decided that I give it a shot. Few hours of testing I am pleased with it.

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
It should work well for that. If you are patient and stealthy, you might even be able to nab a few bird shots. :)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom