1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Please recommend a macro nifty ?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by nianys, Feb 23, 2013.

1. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Hey guys

I'm looking to try a macro version of a 50m lens, but preferably no slower than 2.8. Any suggestions ?
    Mount doesn't really matter, I have adapters for a lot of them, and can purchase more if needed...

2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    There isn't much choice there if you want something at f/2.8 or faster. Panagor and Vivitar have released a 55/2.8 that goes all the way to 1:1 and seems to be decent at least. There is the Micro-Nikkor 55/2.8 which is excellent at longer range, but not as good up close as the Micro-Nikkor 55/3.5; besides that the 55/2.8 is notorious for having or getting oil on the aperture blades. I had them both and kept the 55/3.5. And the non-plus-ultra here is the Olympus OM 50/2 macro, which is not cheap (and that's an understatement; think somewhere between € 500 and € 1000). There's also a Leica R 60/2.8, don't know about Contax. You'll probably be aware that there is a wealth of choices from all major brands if you can get by with a speed of f/3.5.

Hope this helps.

3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    You knew I'd recommend the upcoming CZ 50 2.8, right? ;)

But yeah, there are quite a few decent modern choices from the major brands, not that many good legacy ones.

4. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Ok, start throwing the 3.5 options ??

5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Tons of them. Canon, Konica, Minolta, Nikon, Olympus etc. all made a 50/3.5 or 55/3.5 macro in some form. And all of them have a solid reputation. Pentax made a Macro Takumar/Pentax 50/4 which seems to be excellent as well. Just search eBay on 50mm macro and you'll get more hits than I'd care to browse through :). I'm strongly biased to Minolta and I have a soft spot for my Minolta Macro Celtic 50/3.5 sample, a budget version of the Rokkor 50/3.5 (not to mention the superb/excellent/fantastic/... MD Macro 100/4). But as they say, there aren't any bad macro lenses, so it's hard to go wrong here.

6. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    For macro work with Nex you don't need 2.8 and slower lens will be much cheaper and there will be much more choice. I think that I will be looking for 50mm macro too (but not now, next summer with takumar 100mm).

However I am especially interested about that:
    Vivitar 55mm F2.8 1:1 macro Lens Reviews - Vivitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Ffordes has got one in canon mount for 59 GBP.
    55mm F2.8 Macro by Vivitar - Ffordes Photographic

7. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    In fact I'm not intending to do any macro per se. I just want it as a very close focus portrait lens, hence the wish for the fastest possible lens. But 3.5 might be usable. I'll check them out. Thanks a lot !

8. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
  9. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
  10. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
  11. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    If you don't care about the price then i'd say the Olympus OM 50/2 macro. It's a great lens.

For slower options i'd suggest the MC Rokkor 50/3.5 and Super Takumar 50/4. The Konica 50/3.5 is also pretty nice. Both the Minolta and Konica come with a 1:1 adapter as part of the kit. Optically I think the super Takumar is a tiny bit better but prefer the color on the Minolta.

12. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Thanks Kevin ! And, right now, still not knowing what to do with the whole X-E thing, money IS an object, lol. I'm sure, given time, the Fuji can deliver "better" IQ, or more lovable, than the 7. However, I'm having quite a bit of NEX experience under my belt by now, and I'm queezing results out of the NEX with ease, while still trying to bend that leaning curve on the X-E.
    It's also great two compare the 7 with another great, equally capable camera, because it makes little things that I like stand out, like the great flip screen that I use an often lot, and the TriNavi controls that just seems more useful and smarter by the hour. I can really see what Sony had in mind here when they designed that groundbreaking UI for the NEX, and boy, it took guts to do so. Too bad they half baked it and only allowed it to work flawlessly on their flagship model. Because if you REALLY wanna take advantage of the no-marked-button-everything-user-configurable concept, you need at least a certain number of external controls to do so, which non 7 models have been robbed of. Also at the entry level, the concept is counter intuitive, since you ask P&S upgraders with no photographic culture or knowledge (for 99% of them) to assign their own functions to buttons while thy don't have a clue what sort of control would be useful to them to start with ! It seems a all or nothing approach. Either you're a well rounded enthusiast and you'll make your own bed to sleep in, or you're a rank beginner and you'll stick to iAuto and shut up...

13. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    These are about the 50 mm macro lenses that I am interested in. Add Minolta and Pentax and the list is complete. Maybe Sigma too.

I think that Vivitar 55mm is most interesting for me. Don't have money for new lenses for several months and I don't know if I need a 50mm macro and Samyang 8mm is moch more needed.

14. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I think the NEX 7 is what it is as a result of what Sony learned with the models that came before it. They took the things that worked and those that didn't and applied that to the development of the 7. The Tri-Nav is a brilliant design but I think the different models appeal to different types of users. As a minimalist the controls on the non Tri-Nav equipped models are perfectly useable because I only need to adjust a few things I don't find the paucity of controls an impediment to what I do. That said, I could see upgrading to the successor to the 7 at some point.

As for the Fuji...it's a lovely system to be sure. Like you I have a level of comfort with the NEX so I would need a big improvement in order got me to undergone the hassle and expense of a switch. Right now I see the Fuji and NEX as being comparable in IQ (maybe as light edge to the Fuji) but the NEX has some advantages I'd be reluctant to give up like focus peaking and the flip-up screen. When my NEX finally gives up the ghost I'll definitely see what Fuji has to offer but right now I don't see much that will help me make significantly better images.

15. loonsailor

loonsailor TalkEmount Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Berkeley, CA, USA
    I have a Sigma 70mm 2.8 that is a very fine lens (Nikon mount), and they make a 50/2.8 as well. Being modern lenses, probably not the cheapest you can find.

16. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    They're both very, very nice. I do think the X-E might have an IQ edge, all things being equal, but I'm not there yet that I can squeeze its best at each shot, and not sure I want to work to get there.
    I'm asking myself : if I owned none, and was offered to keep either, which one would it be ? Even like that it's a tough question.
    Now it's rethorical only, because I do own the 7, and know it like the back of my hand by now, so there's little sense wanting to change, and the delta in IQ is marginal at best, absolutely not relevant enough that I'd want to ditch one for the other. I think at this point it's more of an ego/status kind of thing, what kind image does one want to project . Modern, groundbreaking with the 7, or retro cool and in-the-know with Fuji ? Sheesh, too hard to decide anything, I should get myself a small SLT to change the subject ;)

17. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I think a good legacy 50mm macro might just be the easiest thing to get a good deal on.

My old Micro-Nikkor 55/3.5 has been a super workhorse. Literally a legacy lens - my dad used it since the early '70s. In most tests, I absolutely can not discern any difference in sharpness from a Leica Macro 60mm. The old Micro-Nikkors are super rugged and you can find them for well under $100 all over the place. The '80s AI version gets bumped up to f/2.8.

I would also love to get my hands on the Zeiss 50/2 macro. When I finally go full-frame, that could be the one true do-it-all lens. Alas, those are not to be found under $100. More like $1000... if you're lucky.

18. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
  19. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I have both the minolta 50 3.5 macro and the cannon 3.5 macro. I think they are both pretty awesome. Kinda bonded with the can a little more as the focus is a bit stiffer on my copy. Color and contrast is almost equal in my copies.

20. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    I have the Minolta 50mm f:2.8 in A mount.

I make no claim to being a serious macro shooter, so I do not qualify as an expert on the subject, but the lens is very nice - IMO.

- Tom -