• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Please help me validate my monitor calibration...

Amamba

TalkEmount All-Pro
OK, thanks. Looks like I have to take another look at my calibration...

Amamba

TalkEmount All-Pro
OK, I reverted back to the old profile and re-edited this photo using RawTherapee (which I haven't tried in well over a year and am very impressed with what it can now deliver).

My son is pretty pale, wife and I both have very fair skin and he inherited it from both of us.. but I think this photo is about as close to life on my monitor as I can get... so if it still looks too bright and too blue on other people's calibrated monitors, I need to start digging...

41817452664_8075d94fcb_b.jpg
   ---            
DSC02797RT2
by BugsDaddy, on Flickr

Attachments

• 41817452664_89dd93aaf4_b.jpg
    41817452664_89dd93aaf4_b.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:

Amamba

TalkEmount All-Pro
OK, mystery solved ! My computer was not applying icc profiles even though it showed the correct profile as default. A reboot fixed it.

Now, I need to figure out why it's so much darker on computer screen... I wonder if my monitor may be getting old... (Dell 2209 bought in Nov 2009). Usually I had no problems matching the iPad display to computer display with very little difference. (I know that iPad is not really calibrated, but it's pretty close).

quezra

TalkEmount All-Pro
Also on a calibrated monitor here - the second does indeed look much better, but the building (right above the head) looks blown out, whereas it wasn't in the first picture. In any case, obviously it is recoverable given the first picture. At the same time, the foreground looks a tiny bit dark (not a problem when looking on a monitor, but you may have issues if you choose to print), perhaps because of the background being so bright or something.

Amamba

TalkEmount All-Pro
Also on a calibrated monitor here - the second does indeed look much better, but the building (right above the head) looks blown out, whereas it wasn't in the first picture. In any case, obviously it is recoverable given the first picture. At the same time, the foreground looks a tiny bit dark (not a problem when looking on a monitor, but you may have issues if you choose to print), perhaps because of the background being so bright or something.

It does look dark on my iPad as well. I used the Advanced calibration for Eye One and it’s default setting for LCD monitor luminance is 120 cd/m2 (IIRC) and I think it’s way too bright, so what looks “normal” on my freshly calibrated display is actually too dark.

I will try to re-calibrate using 90 cd/m2 and see how that comes out.

sliver-surfer

TalkEmount Regular
I don't use calibrators anymore. I just go to a few of my favorite photographers websites and manually calibrate while on their professional galleries then after I browse some colour charts to make sure all the colours are correct. If I am calibrating for printing, I print a 4x6 make a separate monitor profile just for printing, and match my monitor image to the print image as best as I can.

Last edited:

johnson4096

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Dan Johnson
#1 too blue on my laptop's calibrated screen. #2 is better but still a bit too bright for my tastes. With a pale skinned subject you have to adjust exposure about -1 stop or spot meter the face.

WNG

TalkEmount Legend
Real Name
Will
Brightness wise, it look OK. But the pic looks more greenish. The 2nd image's color looked better to me.

Amamba

TalkEmount All-Pro
Yes, I know it's greenish. I just went with whatever WB the eyedrop tool produced, primarily trying to fix the brighthess. ADDED: Updated, should be fine now.

Reactions: WNG

Latest threads

Top Bottom