1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Please help me validate my monitor calibration...

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Amamba, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Does this image appear too bright or too contrasty ? It looks fine on my monitor after calibration, but awful on my iPad.

42455830022_d7219c62f5_b. DSC02797-0 by BugsDaddy, on Flickr

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Looks bright on my monitor. His shoulder looks a little blown out to me.

3. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    What about his face ?

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Either he's spent the entire spring indoors, or his face and arms are pretty washed out too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Could be the exposure, but the image looks a bit bright and bluish.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    OK, thanks. Looks like I have to take another look at my calibration...

7. mstphoto

mstphoto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 26, 2016
    Aberdeen, NE Scotland
    Mike Stephen
    Just calibrated my laptop
    Your image appears to have a cold blue cast

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    OK, I reverted back to the old profile and re-edited this photo using RawTherapee (which I haven't tried in well over a year and am very impressed with what it can now deliver).

My son is pretty pale, wife and I both have very fair skin and he inherited it from both of us.. but I think this photo is about as close to life on my monitor as I can get... so if it still looks too bright and too blue on other people's calibrated monitors, I need to start digging...

41817452664_8075d94fcb_b. DSC02797RT2 by BugsDaddy, on Flickr

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  9. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    The second one looks WAY better on my monitor.

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    OK, mystery solved ! My computer was not applying icc profiles even though it showed the correct profile as default. A reboot fixed it.

Now, I need to figure out why it's so much darker on computer screen... I wonder if my monitor may be getting old... (Dell 2209 bought in Nov 2009). Usually I had no problems matching the iPad display to computer display with very little difference. (I know that iPad is not really calibrated, but it's pretty close).

11. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    Same here.

Tom

12. quezra

quezra TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 22, 2012
    Also on a calibrated monitor here - the second does indeed look much better, but the building (right above the head) looks blown out, whereas it wasn't in the first picture. In any case, obviously it is recoverable given the first picture. At the same time, the foreground looks a tiny bit dark (not a problem when looking on a monitor, but you may have issues if you choose to print), perhaps because of the background being so bright or something.

13. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    It does look dark on my iPad as well. I used the Advanced calibration for Eye One and it’s default setting for LCD monitor luminance is 120 cd/m2 (IIRC) and I think it’s way too bright, so what looks “normal” on my freshly calibrated display is actually too dark.

I will try to re-calibrate using 90 cd/m2 and see how that comes out.

14. sliver-surfer

sliver-surfer TalkEmount Regular

Nov 29, 2013
    I don't use calibrators anymore. I just go to a few of my favorite photographers websites and manually calibrate while on their professional galleries then after I browse some colour charts to make sure all the colours are correct. If I am calibrating for printing, I print a 4x6 make a separate monitor profile just for printing, and match my monitor image to the print image as best as I can.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  15. johnson4096

johnson4096 TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 23, 2016
    Dan Johnson
    #1 too blue on my laptop's calibrated screen. #2 is better but still a bit too bright for my tastes. With a pale skinned subject you have to adjust exposure about -1 stop or spot meter the face.

16. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    OK, the last try - does this look OK, especially brightness wise ?

40887253110_e90650f7cd_b. DSC02159 by BugsDaddy, on Flickr

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  17. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Brightness wise, it look OK. But the pic looks more greenish. The 2nd image's color looked better to me.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Yes, I know it's greenish. I just went with whatever WB the eyedrop tool produced, primarily trying to fix the brighthess. ADDED: Updated, should be fine now.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.