1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Please help me make a decision!!!

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by NickCyprus, Sep 24, 2015.

1. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    The time has come for me to move to a FF E-mount camera - finally!

I'm also now officially AF lens-less. Just sold my only e-mount lens (18-105 G) to fund the new camera.
    Also sold my Nex-6 to a friend which means that I can keep it for another week - but that's it - after a week, he wants it delivered.

This same friend is also my camera technician and the guy that I order all my gear from (he got me the 18-105 and helped me sell it now and also he got me the Nex-6 which I sold back to him now). From the camera/lens sale, plus a little $$$ on top (which I already gave him as a deposit) he can get me a new A7 body only. And here's my dilemma: I could get the A7 now OR raise some more money and get the A7-II - but that means 1-2 months of waiting and basically being camera-less :(

I've read every review/comparison I could find and still can't make up my mind. What I will be missing based on your experience if I get the A7? Will I regret not waiting and getting the A7-II? (even if that means being camera-less for 1-2 months). IBIS and improved ergonomics sound great.
    I know that what I really want is the A7-II but that's probably the G.A.S. inside me talking :)

2. ztryfe

ztryfe TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2014
    Mexico
    Vic
    IBIS IBIS IBIS that and GAS

If you're that invested, might as well hold for the whole enchilada, the IBIS will deliver sweetly stabilized legacy lenses.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    The ergonomic rationale for the A7II has never swayed me. Within a few days of use my fingers naturally go wherever the camera designers decided they should go. And grip, schmip. With anything larger than a pancake, I hold my camera by the lens. So it's never occurred to me to upgrade from my A7 to get "better" ergonomics.

But for someone who uses legacy lenses exclusively, IBIS would be a fairly big plus. So I'd advise waiting until that A7II comes within range. You can always shoot with your phone for a month or two. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. starmite

starmite TalkEmount Regular

Dec 20, 2012
    +1 on this. IBIS was the primary factor in my deciding to purchase the A7ii.

5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I guess you'll use primarily legacy glass on your new FF camera. Then IBIS is very nice of course, but not absolutely necessary. I have no trouble using legacy glass on my A7 up to 100mm at least and 135mm in a pinch (I hardly ever use that focal length on the A7 while I loved it on the NEX-6). Once you go past 135mm IBIS will make a big difference. About the only lens in your line-up that is hard to use without IBIS will be the 70-210mm, all your other lenses max out at 135mm. For fairly static subjects IBIS will gain you a few stops for any lens but once your subjects are in motion the slowest possible shutter speed may be dictated by how fast your subject moves. For tripod work this is all irrelevant.

Maybe, just maybe, the A7 might give you trouble when doing LE stuff. There are reports that the bayonet mount can show some light leakage which could be visible when you use high-density filters. I tested my own A7 with the FE 24-70mm and with two ND1000 filters stacked: in full sunlight the finder stayed pitch dark, apart from the noise. Adapters are much more prone to this; my Novoflex MD adapters are awful and really need some kind of black cloth thrown over the release pin to keep the light out. On all accounts the A7M2 has a sturdier bayonet which reportedly does away with the light leakage. Some people complain about the very tight fit of adapters on the A7M2.

Ergonomics? I think that's really something you'd best try out for yourself. I never handled an A7M2 or A7RM2 so I don't know what to prefer. The A7M2 is 100g heavier.

But you being an active forum member you probably already know all of this :). To be honest I think the A7M2 is the better choice, I would do it myself if I had to replace the A7 (and funds permitting I'd go for an A7RM2, highly unlikely though). If you have a Minolta film body this may be the time to (re-)start using it :).

Best of luck anyway, whatever your decision will be!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    +1!

7. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    If I had to start in the A7 series all over again, it would be hard to say which way I'd go. IBIS seems like the real elephant in the room.
    Since I just invested in a really nice tripod, I'd probably forego the stabilization and save a bunch of money (and a little bit of weight) with the original A7.
    You could do a lot worse than to use the extra money toward some FE optics instead.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    +2 on the IBIS

9. michelb

michelb TalkEmount Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    Greater Montreal area in Quebec, Canada
    Michel Brien
    +1 also on IBIS and a couple other features

But in 2 months they will probably introduce A7MIII with newer features and you will be at it again

• Like Like x 1
  10. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    IBIS for sure and IIRC there was something about internal reflections or something like that which was also fixed plus the better mount as well. Ergonomics is a matter of opinion so I wont go there.
    When I went to the Aerospace recently with the Rokinon 14mm I was shooting half second and even took some 1 sec handheld (with good technique of course not just arms away from my body lol) that allowed me some extremely clean images due to the low ISO. IBIS is a beauty also with my FD 300mm F2.8 and extenders. :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. ztryfe

ztryfe TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2014
    Mexico
    Vic
    What where you thinking Nick, of course we would advise going for the whole deal!

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    First of all, thanks for all the replies. With a topic like that I did not expect it :D so thank you!

The thing is, that I don't think there's a feature/spec on the A7ii that I'd miss from the A7 apart from IBIS and the "better" ergonomics (I say "better" because I don't from first hand experience. I've never hold an A7ii, but did an A7 and can't say I was impressed). At this point I'm not sure if IBIS is worth the extra 400euro difference... And the ergonomics I guess you get used to it.

Is there anything else that's different between the two? Is the menu layout the same?

13. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    Couldnt you buy a 'used' A7ii for the price of a 'new' A7? IBIS provides at least 2 stops with static images such as portraits. To me that is a lot of performance.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    @addieleman@addieleman yeah I will be using only my MF lenses for beginning until I raise some money for 1-2 FE lenses. The tougher mount issue, can it be solved on the A7 with a fotodiox tough e-mount?
    No Minolta film body for me :D

15. SamSS

SamSS TalkEmount Regular

Oct 11, 2014
    Regard to a7's mount (a7), I've no problem with FE 70-200mm nor FE 90mm. It's fine.
    FE 90mm is kind of permanently glued to my a7 to take advantage of its OSS feature.
    Have you thought of getting a used a7? There are quiet a few letting them go at around $700 or sometimes even $600.
    Though, beside the IBIS goodie, strong mount from the a7ii, AF is also better.
    The first time that I took an a7 out to a wedding didn't yield very much of good result. Though, this could be due to older firmware of last year.
    3 weeks ago at this wedding reception in a restaurant, I had much much better pictures with the a7ii. Yes, FE 55mm was used on both occasions.
    Nick, I think you'll do just fine with the a7

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  16. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Unfortunately our country and market is so small, that I've never seen a used A7 or A7ii for sale :(

17. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    If I were to buy used, I'd prefer a local but so I can check the condition. But out country and market is so small that I've never seen any for sale.
    Fast AF is not something high in my wish list (not my style of shooting).
    Regarding the mount difference, you think adding a fotodiox tough e-mount would even things up a bit?

18. pbizarro

pbizarro TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Portugal
    For just 1-2 months of wait, I would get the A7II. Better construction (metal mount), IBIS, better grip.

The A7 is also very good (I have both), and if you plan on getting a stabilized lens, then one of the advantages of the MKII means less.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I would wait for A7II as well. Big fan of IBIS. But I wouldn't hesitate to buy used on FredMiranda from someone who has 50+ positive feedback as a seller there and is willing to ship worldwide. There are a lot of deals to be had that way, and I have never had a bad result.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  20. Alex66

Alex66 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2014
    Would it be worth considering taking a flight to visit used dealer elsewhere in the EU? If they happen to have a few of the model you are interested in, that is if the cost of a flight from a low cost is less than you would save?

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1