Playmemories Home Software

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Denini, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Denini

Denini New to TalkEmount

Jun 15, 2016
    Greetings Folks, this is my first post so please forgive me if its in the wrong thread etc.
    I have recenctly returned to photography after a lengthy spell away and as you can imagine... EVERYTHING has changed...I pretty clueless re the technology side of things tbh.
    Anyway... I`ve acquired a Sony A5000 which i messing about with and trying to learn about it.
    Howvere... I`ve immediately ran into a problem...
    I`ve tried to down load the Playmemories software...but it says that my system is not compatable and that i need Vista upwards (I`m on XP Home SP3...yes yes...I`m OLD :) )
    However...when I connect the camera to the PC ..I can still download photos using my old Nikon thats not such a problem.
    But... it wont download videos... can anybody give me a solution to this please?
    Internet... I "piggy back" my neighbour for internet...I`ve tried sync the camera with that (i have password etc)...but once agin--abject failure.
    Any info or tips on the camera and what route to take would be greatly appreciated and helpful.
  2. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    You should just be able to connect using a USB cable if all you want to do is copy your content off the camera. You can just use windows explorer to do this. Videos on Sony cameras are located in a weird spot and not in the DCIM folder.

If your videos are MP4 format, they should be in MP_ROOT and then there will be a bunch (or only one) of folders there with the videos inside.

If your videos are AVCHD format, they should be PRIVATE/AVCHD/BDMV/STREAM or something like that with the .MTS extension. If they are AVCHD, good luck playing those on an older machine. If they play at all, they will probably be choppy.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Denini

Denini New to TalkEmount

Jun 15, 2016
    Thank you very much for your reply... but please remember who you are dealing with... a 60 yr old who`s quite used to the metering system of a weighted needle of the Pentax 1000 :)
    so your terms of DCIM / MP_ROOT / AVCHD etc mean absolutely nothing to me.
    This : I pug in the USB to camera then PC... then a window opens up asking me how i would like to view files etc.
    I click on Nikon Transfer...and carry on with the process i`m quite familiar with.
    However...VIDEOS aren`t showing...are you saying they will have been placed somewhere else on my PC?
    How do i know what FORMAT the videos are in? I just pressed the button on the top and recorded :)
    Excuse my ignorance/ naivety.... but we all have to start somewhere eh
    Thank You
  4. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Did the NEX camera come with its owner's manual? If not try going to Sony and download their pdf of it. Otherwise there will be too much hand-holding to try to explain every setting of the camera. Youtube is also a good source for video tutorials.

As for your download methodology...yes, you're going about it all out of sync. Erase what you believe is the way to do it because it's familiar. The Nikon software has no application to Sony. The camera attached via USB will be seen as a removable flash drive on XP. Open the card and copy/drag/drop the desired files to the HDD.
    Easy peasy, nothing cheesy.

The JPEGs should be viewable with any picture file viewer, even the crappy one with Win XP. The RAW files will need a more robust editor. Sony provides a free editor online called Sony IDC (Image Data Converter) for their ARW files.
    I recommend Faststone Image Viewer v.5.5 for your viewing needs. It will also open ARW RAW files, albeit a little slower. Works great on XP.
    For viewing videos, download the free open source VLC media player. Make sure you download it from their website for a legit copy. It plays all video files out there.

As for whether your PC can handle the high definition videos, all depends on how powerful the CPU is and the amount of RAM.
    Good luck.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Denini

Denini New to TalkEmount

Jun 15, 2016
    Once again--I thank you for your reply.
    There is a manual .. which gives the basic info etc... and i understand what you are saying when you say "handholding" etc... I think some of the features---if I was sat opposite somebody and I could see...would be childs play.... but when yer READ them--all these acronyms and abbreviations etc...its quite confusion.
    So..... I`ve just tried again ...plugged the camera in etc.... didnt use Nikon Tranfer..but clicked on "view files"... the images are there...but not the vids. There ARE on the looking right now..and they are inAVCHD format... will that make adifference?
    as for quality and using RAW... at this stage of my developement.... I`m not too bothered about that.... just wanna share some of my songs/busking to Faeces Book thats all.
    My PC I`m told...whilst ancient ...has lots of memory and apparently is quite good :)
    Another question..... if i got someone to download the Playmemories software onto a disc for me...could I then upload it to my PC?
    Of wont XP be able to use that software full stop.
    I really appreciate the replies and that you`ve bothered your ass to reply to what must seem like basic stuff to some of you folks.
    thank you
  6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    We all started in the same place (or thereabouts) where you are now, Denini. And none of us are rocket surgeons either. So don't feel like this was any easier for the rest of us. :D
  7. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    To keep things simple I would second using a USB connection. When you connect the camera and turn it on, the computer should ask you what to do and give you some options. One is probably your Nikon software, but there should be one for "View files and folders" or something to that effect - pick that one. This will open your camera in Windows Explorer, which should look somewhat familiar. At this point you can move your pictures just as you would files. One such folder is named DCIM, and is where your pictures are. PRIVATE/AVCHD/BDMV/STREAM refers to opening first the PRIVATE folder, then AVCHD folder, then BDMV folder, and finally the STREAM folder. I do not recall and cannot verify at the moment if those are exactly right, so as HabsFan said just look for something fairly close to that and you should find the videos. Then you can just cut/copy the file and paste it into a folder on your hard drive.

Since you are a self-described beginner at all of this, I would avoid the complications of RAW for the time being. I would guess you have not altered it from the default of JPEG images anyway, which will be fine for now. If you avoid RAWs, you should not need any additional software for your pictures and videos. I will say that the built-in XP photo viewing and video playing software is not very good though. The aforementioned Faststone Image Viewer can be obtained at Download FastStone Image Viewer. VLC is available at

As far as accessing the internet from the camera, I would avoid this for now until you are comfortable just getting the images and videos from the camera into folders on your hard drive. Personally, I keep my photos in folders by year and month they were taken. You should adopt some kind of scheme so that you are able to find things later. Once you have thousands of photos, you will see why this is a good idea.

If at all possible, I would recommend getting a more recent PC with a newer version of Windows. Since XP is no longer supported by Microsoft, the people who write software will gradually stop trying to keep their programs compatible with XP. I know change can be painful, but it is really a matter of when you make the switch rather than if you make it at all.

Welcome to talkemount, by the way. I think the regulars here are a nice bunch of people, and there are some really excellent photographs for inspiration.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  8. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    The PlayMemories software don't bring to the party anything more better than the recommended alternate software above. And if it doesn't support XP, it won't install anyway.

Since you're focused on videos....set the camera to MP4 files for convenience for sharing.
    If the files are still too large for Facebook, you can download a freeware app called Handbrake. It converts one video format to other video formats. And you can compress it to a smaller file.
    Handbrake should run on XP.