1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Playmemories Apps - Share your experience

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by izzikiorage, Jun 18, 2014.

1. izzikiorage

izzikiorage TalkEmount Veteran

Jul 30, 2013
    Hey everyone

Was checking out the playmemories site again and there have been a couple of new apps added. While it's cool that sony is providing us all a continuous series of apps to better our phones, I'm not very sure which ones are really worth the purchase.

For example rather than use the new startrails app, which I would love to have, can't I just use the timelapse app then dump the images shot into something ilke startrails program to get the same result. Seems like this is good only if you want to visalize how the trails are coming our while you are in the feild

Same for the multi shot NR. Doesn't sony's hand held twilight mode do the same thing that this app seems to be doing. Is sony now going to make us pay for each and every increment to a base feature of our camera

Would love to hear how your experience has been with these apps

2. stephen431

stephen431 TalkEmount Regular

May 2, 2014
    I downloaded & used startrails once. Yes you can use timelapse and then drop all the images into an image stacker, and you'll get a star trail photo. This app kicks out a video file, not a photo. Pretty decent quality, but it's video only. It's fun. Is it worth $10? I don't know. Maybe I should use it more.

I haven't used multi shot NR as an app, but it's included on the a6000. I've tried using it and I have trouble telling the difference between it and hand-held twilight, or anti-motion blur scene settings. Supposedly hand-held twilight is supposed to be for hand-held shooting static shots in low light, anti motion blur for hand-held shooting moving objects in low light, and multi shot NR for tripod shots in low light....
    I don't know. I can't remember which is which when I'm trying to find the settings in the dark, so I'm probably using the wrong ones, but what they output all looks the same to me anyway. They only output jpeg, & if I'm shooting in low light on a tripod, I'm probably shooting in raw so I can do more than I could with jpeg, and I'd use PS or Nik to reduce noise. If you shoot the same way, it's probably not worth paying extra for it.

The app that I've tried that I do like is the "Smooth Reflections" app. I've got an inexpensive variable ND filter, so if I crank it all the way up then the colors can get really weird. The app will let me do some Big Stopper-"ish" looking long exposure shots just using the filter at about 4-6 stops. It'll take either 32, 64, or 128 (if I recall correctly) exposures and blend them. You won't really get the same results as if you were actually shooting long exposures, but the effect can be similar. For example, you can't reliably use it to eliminate crowds or traffic like you can on long exposures because it leaves some random artifacts. However, It's still unique and it's fun to play with using a variable ND.

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I've downloaded several of the Apps, played with them briefly, and then forgotten about them.

There is just nothing exciting to me.

4. ddavi78

ddavi78 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 28, 2013
    USA
    David
    Same here bought two but never use them.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkEmount

5. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I got the time lapse app. Really wish it was included.

6. ddavi78

ddavi78 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 28, 2013
    USA
    David
    That is one of the ones I bought...it is good to have (should be included) but I hardly use.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkEmount

7. izzikiorage

Jul 30, 2013
    Timelapse is the one that I currently have my eye on. It's cheaper than getting a remote with an intervoltmeter and outputs images that you can stack or stitch into a video. The rest i'm a little confused about

8. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    I am considering the Timelapse app as well. I also wish the Beta app for Stop Motion was available for the A6000. Smooth Reflections is interesting, but I can do the same thing with Photoshop, which I already have.

9. christian

christian TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    it's kind of the same here, I have the Time lapse app (I got it for free but it's a "light edition"), photo retouch, instant upload and I paid 5 bucks for Motion Shot which seems to be a cool app. unfortunately I never used them but I keep telling myself I should try them. Especially the timelapse app and the motion shot ones. I'd also be interested in the bracketing pro one.

10. jcdoss

jcdoss TalkEmount Regular

Jul 6, 2013
    I kind of like the option, even though they're not perfect apps, they're cool to play with. I don't mind sending $5 for something like that... I've paid more for less. I do with they were a bit more responsive on my NEX-6, and I'm noticing some of the newer ones aren't being made available for the NEX-6 already.

11. izzikiorage

Jul 30, 2013
    Same issue here, loved the water blur app, but seems that NEX6 is not powerful enough to run it

12. izzikiorage

Jul 30, 2013
    Finally got the timelapse app, seems fun for things like star trails ... yet to try a proper timelapse on it

Here's what my results looked like

17116900359_137d15eb9e_c.jpgChasing stars by Amlan Mathur, on Flickr

13. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    I never used any of these "goodies". I bought my a6000 turned in aeroplane mode, left it there since today.
    I do not think I am losing anything great there
    Alex

14. Lisandra

Lisandra TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    I mainly use the playmemories app just to transfer stuff into phones and tabs and for that it works great. Unlike other companies full size photos take next to nothing to transfer ans theres a 2mp size option that is even faster. For instant sharing and such its priceless. Ive recently started integrating it to my work and gotten good feedback, mainly from customers from this gen

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. WookieeGunner

WookieeGunner TalkEmount Rookie

Apr 17, 2015
    I haven't gotten a chance to play with them, but I can't wait. Sure, there really isn't much if anything in the apps that I couldn't do in Lightroom or Photoshop, but to me that is kind of the point, I can post-process in the camera. Go on a trip, take photos, post process in camera, upload to Flikr that night. No carrying a laptop with me, no worrying about the deluge of a weeks worth of pics when I get home. Leave raw and Lightroom for the important stuff and use apps for the fun stuff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    The playmemories transfer and the whole wifi implementation works extremely well with the Sonys. It is considerably faster and more robust than other wifi I have used (mostly eye-fi and EM1). You can easily transfer 300 shots from a shoot in next to no time. If you are prepared to shoot raw+jpeg you actually get more options than 'full size' and '2mb' resident in the app itself. I typically choose 6mb (3000 x 2000) which is pretty much ideal for the resolution of the ipad, is fast and robust (I tended to have disconnects when transferring large numbers of full sized photos.)

As for the other apps I downloaded 'bracketing pro' which is anything but and 'timelapse' which I promptly forgotten about. It is a shame Sony doesnt open up the apps for developers. We would be pretty certain to get something good then.

Incidentally, I found that is you use the 2mb download in the app, the photos tend to look fuzzy as though you have missed focus or the lens isnt sharp. (Obviously, 2mb isnt the greatest resolution but the result tends to be much worse than you expect)

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. izzikiorage

Jul 30, 2013
    Big fan of the transfer and the remote control app. Have just bought the timelapse app, trying to figure out the best way to use it

18. ggibson

ggibson TalkEmount Regular

Sep 1, 2011
    One annoying limitation I found with the transfer app is if you're shooting in RAW, your transfers are limited to the 2MP preview only. You have to shoot RAW+JPG to get a full-size file.

I tried the remote app recently as well, but I couldn't find a way to set the camera to a longer shutter than 30 seconds. I couldn't even find a bulb option. Anyone know if there's a way to access longer shutter speeds?

19. izzikiorage

Jul 30, 2013
    Yup, would be amazing to use this as a bulb mode trigger. I'm currently experimenting with the touchless shutter to see if that is any good for bulb mode

20. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    According to Sony's notes, it only allows bulb mode on the A7s and A7ii.