1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Playing With Water

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by ErickSaint, Feb 2, 2013.

1. ErickSaint

ErickSaint TalkEmount Regular

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
    This was my first attempt at anything like this. Again trying out my off camera flash stuff. Found out many things I can try and play with next time around. My original container wasn't working out so I pulled the Pyrex baking dish out and used that. That's why there is an anchor symbol in the first pic, bottom of the dish.

8440353416_d07a1365e7_c.
    image-1 by ericksaint, on Flickr

8440353686_f57f2d07b9_c.
    image-2 by ericksaint, on Flickr

8440354808_641c10f2ba_c.
    image-3 by ericksaint, on Flickr

8439264969_1126dcdcde_c.
    image-4 by ericksaint, on Flickr

8439264841_63a202603f_c.
    image-5 by ericksaint, on Flickr

8440354344_399f7235b9_c.
    image-6 by ericksaint, on Flickr

8439264463_c753748940_c.
    image-7 by ericksaint, on Flickr

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Cool! I like #4 & 5 especially.

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Pretty cool, especially for a first effort. :)

4. Orange

Orange TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
  5. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Excellent stuff!

6. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Those are fun shots but harder than they look. Adding some color to the water really helps bring some life to the shots...

WaterDrop4.

7. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Some great shots and hard to capture, they happen so fast.

8. claude

claude TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    Really well done. That's tough to photograph.

9. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Nice work!!!

10. ErickSaint

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
    Thanks everybody. I have so many variables to play with next time. I need a larger catch container or a better lens selection, my framed area was so tight. The the main reason for the weird cropping on some, you could see the container. I was only using a 8x8 inch dish. I did these with kit lens and all off camera flash.

On that note, being new to all of this, is there a way to change the live view display? For example: camera was in manual, shutter 1/250, kit lens at 18mm f8, manual focus on the point of the drip, ISO 800, AWB. The live view was practically black, with the exception of a few stray peaking highlights on the edges of the dish. With the MSA-10 the 5n doesn't see a flash attached so it doesn't changed the live view to reflect the flash settings, of course because of the off camera setup. I guess I could just turn off live view completely, since the settings I used seem to work. There will be much more playing with this, especially when outdoor temps are maxing out at about 10 degrees lately.

Chad, that is brilliant, thanks for sharing. I really need to experiment with my setup and water delivery. This being my first try I used a ziplock bag with a small hole poked in it. First try was more of a steady stream than a drip. Second try was this, and I think the drips were too small to get anything as dramatic as yours. When I try to make the hole bigger it goes back to a stream. Another thing may be the fact that the bag and drip are only starting about 12" from the surface of the water. Maybe I'll try to make something out of PVC next time to get it up higher. I'd love to hear what you used for a water source.

Anybody else with shots like this feel free to add them here, I'd love to see what others are doing.

11. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    I used an eye dropper and it worked pretty good too but it took some coordination to squeeze the dropped and the shutter release at the same time. I used two upright pieces of 2x4 and attached a short length of pvc pipe between them. I made a holder for the eyedropper from tape so I could refill it easily. The container for the water was a clear pyrex baking dish with a light underneath shining up as well as a speed light off camera bouncing off a large white card stock backing. Sounds complicated but really it's much simpler than it sounds. After that, it was just lots of shots to get the timing down. I probably took a couple hundred shots for 5 keepers...lol

Here's another one...

WaterDrop3.

12. ErickSaint

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
    Very similar to my setup then. I'm bouncing my flash off a clean white page of a bigger sketch pad leaning up behind the dish. I have a bunch of pipettes from mixing airbrush paints, thought about that but decided on a more "automatic" system. I took about a hundred shots too. Admittedly some of the keepers were a result of burst shots, due to the live view issues.

13. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Yeah, I'll admit that I used my D300 so it has much faster shots per second. I prefocused, dropped some water drops and fired off 6-8 shots as fast as I could with maybe one turning out ok, about one in 20 turning out pretty nice. It's a fun thing to do. I'll probably try it soon with my NEX to see how that goes, especially now that I have a remote for it to play with.

14. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    On my A37 there is the an option in the menu under "live view" and the choices are "setting effect ON" or "setting effect OFF. On is the default, so change it to off. My Nex 5 does not have this but the newer Nex models might?

15. ErickSaint

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
    Yes, I have that same setting on my 5n, I'll just turn it off next time. I'm probably not going to stray to far from the settings I used here. Maybe other than the flash power and the actual setup of the equipment.