Playing around with long expsoures, a cell phone, and a car (also some composite lighting shots)

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by dsiglin, Sep 27, 2013.

1. dsiglin

dsiglin TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    A few days ago I watched this video

[video=youtube;8w638djAPyA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w638djAPyA[/video]

and was inspired to mess around with long exposures and composite lighting. I don't have a Lamborghini. Far from it. But I like the aggressive styling of my Mazda 3 Hatchback and thought it would make a good subject. Last night I spent an hour on a near pitch black road outside the city with my strobe and a flashlight app for my phone. For the photos with the light trails I triggered a 20 second exposure and walked around the car twice shining the flashlight on it.

car1.

car2.

For the traditional shot I took three photos and blended them to give the appearance of having multiple lights. I took quite a few shots from various lighting angles and it was nice to pick through them for the best ones.

One bad thing - dirt really shows up under bright lights. I knew it was going to but I didn't have time to wash the car. Next time I want to try this with water droplets on a just cleaned car.

car composite.

• Like Like x 7
  2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Way to stretch the envelope. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. dsiglin

dsiglin TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    I have to admit the idea is not original with me but it was a lot of fun making it, going to experiment more with long exposures.

4. claude

claude TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    I really like the first two,

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Very cool

6. NickCyprus