Play Memories & RAW format

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by lew, Sep 8, 2017.

1. lew

lew TalkEmount Rookie

Jul 7, 2014
    Just spent a day shooting with my Andriod Smart Phone & A7ii. I'm running the remote control app. Things looked ok, but when it came time to do my post processing, I found only jpg's & no setting to save in raw. What's up with this? Can I change it?

2. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Regular

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    Sadly, no. The smart phone app only uploads jpgs.

This can be useful if you want a quick jpg and forgot to turn on raw+jpg, or if you're just posting to instagram/facebook.

3. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    This is a shortcoming that makes the remote app utterly useless for serious captures. I wanted to mount the camera on a boom or suction cup mount and use the smartphone to compose and trigger. But no raw files! Come on Sony!

4. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I don't understand this. Why does a remote application affect how the camera saves data? What makes it even more strange is that many playmemories applications that actually manipulate images can save raw.:hmmm:

5. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Regular

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    If I remember correctly - I haven't used the app in over a year - the remote ctrl app essentially takes over all the functions of the camera. Settings you make on the camera before running the app don't matter. What's worse, the remote ctrl app is essentially a dumbed down camera, with less control.

And yeah, all that is why I tried it out once (because I forgot my remote trigger) and haven't used it again.

6. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I just checked my Camera because I couldn't believe this. Initially I couldn't save raw on my my A7r, but after doing some digging. I realized I wasn't on the latest firmware or software. In fact it was 2 years old. I updated my firmware and the remote application and now I can save raw+jpg. No issues. So I would suggest you make sure all your software is up to date.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1