1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Play Memories Home. Raw and Jpeg identical?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by alaios, Aug 31, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi,
    as I am still very new to this game, I am using the software that came with my nex. The play memories home.

I have noticed that there the raw images look exactly the same with the jpeg shots (I am shooting jpeg and raw). I guess that the play memories home applies the same post - processing as the body of nex. If this is right (or partially right, jpeg and raw are very close but not identical) I have a very good reason stop shooting jpeg and raw and switch to raw only.

'What do you think?

Regards
    Alex

2. alfa 147

alfa 147 New to TalkEmount

Aug 30, 2013
    Raw is the file that you can process later, using a software, like lightroom or photoshop, for example. Jpeg is the final picture, which cannot be edited later. If you are not using a photoeditor, shooting only jpeg will be fine. I am using both jpeg and raw modes, because i edit my photos later, after shooting them.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

3. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    of course jpeg can be edited later

4. alfa 147

Aug 30, 2013
    Not in a professional way. I mean editing them in paint, or modifying contrast and sharpness doesn't mean "editing".

5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    You can do a lot of editing to a jpeg file. But what you can do is just very limited in comparison to what you can achieve with a raw file. Much more information is "baked in," i.e. white balance, and other information, pixel bit depth, for example, is discarded. But to say that you can't edit jpegs in a meaningful way is IMO overstating things wildly.

6. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Well I first have to sleep more then improve my English.What I meant is that the raw files when previewd inside play memories home look identical to the jpegs of my camera. That I guess means that play memories home software does the same processing as the camera's body to the raw files to produce the same jpegs files.

7. alfa 147

Aug 30, 2013
    @alaios ok, now i understand what you meant in 1st post. I am not using memories software, but if i'll install it, i will check that aspect, seems interesting.

8. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    That's correct, Alex. Most raw converters will try to open a raw file with the same processing as was applied by the camera. So initially, the jpeg and raw file will look almost identical when viewed on your computer's screen. In fact, because the jpeg file will often have some additional sharpening, contrast, and saturation applied, it may even look a little better at first. The difference only becomes evident once you start to apply your own desired processing to the file. That's when the advantages of shooting raw will become obvious.

9. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi
    that was my point. If play memories home renders raw files to give the almost same jpegs as the camera body. Anyone can just keep shooting raw and later on save those as jpegs (I have not checked if play memories does that but I guess as long as the raw preview is there)

Regards
    Alex

10. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Did anyone tried this from yesterday? I am able to see exactly the raw as jpegs but I have not found a good way to save rads to jpegs....

11. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Raw is exactly what it implies - the raw data that camera captures and uses to produce a jpeg. Every digital camera captures data before processing it and saving it into jpeg, it's just that not every camera lets you use that data as a raw file.

Think if it, camera needs to apply some processing to the bits of data to present them to you as a viewable picture, right ? The difference is, a jpeg file is a final output, with that processing recepie baked in, and much of the original data stripped out. Basically it contains only as much data as is required to create a snapshot of data with one particular set of processing settings applied, and everything else is thrown away to keep the file size down. The raw file still has all the data intact, any processing changes are applied to it as separate instructions on how to display that data.

When you open this file in camera, or in any Sony software, you won't see the difference other than the artefacts of JPEG compression, because both the raw file and the Jpeg were are displayed using the same set of instructions. (3rd party soft doesn't have Sony algorithms, so in say Lightroom the Raw will look different from Jpeg, because raw uses LR initial processing instructions while Jpeg was processed by Sony).

The difference is, you can easily change the display of raw file by changing these instructions, without changing actual data. You can't do it with Jpeg because much of this data is gone. That's why things like white balance adjustment are so much easier to do with a raw file. Also, with raw you can always go back on things like sharpening or noise reduction, while in jpeg they destroy the data for good.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2