1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Pixco MD-E Focal Reducer comparisons

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by fractal, Jan 23, 2015.

1. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Just got a Pixco focal reducer ( lens turbo ) for my Minolta lenses. Cost was $115.00 shipped from China. I did a quick comparison using my Minolta Rokkor 50mm 1.4 on my NEX-7 to get a sense for any improvement in light and difference in Field of View. I took the photos from the same spot and only adjusted the focus after switching adapters. All photos were taken wide open @ f/1.4 and @ISO 400 and shot in RAW converted to JPEG in Lightroom with no adjustments.

First image is the Minolta 50mm with a standard (no glass) MD to E-mount adapter.

DSC04580-XL.

Next with the Pixco focal reducer.

DSC04579-XL.

Second image again with the Minolta 50mm and standard MD to E-mount adapter.

DSC04582-XL.

now with the Pixco adapter.

[​IMG]

Initial impressions are what I was expecting. Wider field of view and more light. This was a quick test but overall impressed with the Pixco. Carrying the Minolta with both adapters would essentially give me 2 primes. A 50mm f/1.4 and the aps-c equivalent of about a 35mm maybe a stop faster (actually like a 33mm f/1.2), which I think is pretty cool! Since I shot these wide open it was difficult to judge any loss of sharpness. My next test will be to shoot at different apertures and ISO. I may also compare the difference when shooting video.

So until I step up to a FF camera ( if I ever do ), this seems like a nice and cheap alternative; at least for my MD mount lenses.

• Like Like x 2
  2. ztryfe

ztryfe TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2014
    Mexico
    Vic
    Could you share the link to the adapter? Seems to deliver nice results

3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Agree :thumbup:

4. fractal

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    I bought it on Amazon. Just search Pixco focal reducer and make sure you get the right one.

5. fractal

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    So I've had this Soligor 200mm 2.8 that I've been trying to sell after I bought a Minolta Maxxum 200mm 2.8.

Wouldn't sell and now I'm glad it didn't. With the focal reducer I've turning this lens into an APS-C equivalent 133mm f2.0. I tried it out at my son's last swim-meet.

The pool is old and dimly lit, especially at the starting blocks. To get the starts without much blur I had to shoot at 1/320 sec. Even at f/2.8, without the focal reducer I would need to go to ISO 3200. With the focal reducer I was able to shoot at ISO 1600.

I did aply some PP and NR in Lightroom.

DSC04822-XL.

DSC04821-XL.

The focal length was also much better than the 200mm for this swim-meet as the stands are relatively close to the water. I'm enjoying the added flexibility the Pixco is providing.