1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Pillars and empty benches

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by AK47J, Feb 13, 2014.

1. AK47J

AK47J TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 31, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Good? Bad? Ugly? I was out for a walk and went through the old bus stop. The b&w edit is a "preset", it might be a bit too much.

pillars.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    The first thing I notice is an unnatural looking lean to the right. Is this an aberration or an effect of the lens? Edit: Apologies, I should have said something positive before making any other comment. I like a strong black and white with strong lines and this image has that in spades. Composition is good and might benefit from some lens correction to straighten the pillars, which I think is what I first noticed.

• Like Like x 1
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I like it :thumbup:
    I'd prefer with without the (harsh) shadows caused by what seems to be a very brigth sunlight but still very nice - nicely composed IMHO ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yes, I like the composition too. And when you can't avoid harsh light, b&w conversion makes a lot of sense, IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I like the idea and the execution in B&W as well, the processing looks quite alright to me. I'm (over?)sensitive to distortion so the bent pillars near the edges disturbed me, as well as the background clutter left and right which may be hard to avoid.

• Like Like x 1
  6. AK47J

AK47J TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 31, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Thanks guys. I don't like the bent pillars either. I would assume that was caused by the lens. I don't like the sky, it looks weird and processed. I think I will play around with the other b&w presets and see what happens. (Software is not something I know much about yet)

• Like Like x 1
  7. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Yeah, the shot has a bit of barrel distortion from the lens that you might be able to get rid of in processing. The conversion does seem a little over the top - Too many glowing edges for my taste, but others may like it.

Learning what software can do takes time. Presets are a good start, but they aren't going to work well everywhere. They can often get you in the ballpark, though. And over time you'll get better at tweaking the controls to provide the best output.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    To correct distortion like that you could try DXO Viewpoint 2. Lightroom can do it too I think.

• Like Like x 1
  9. AK47J

AK47J TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 31, 2014
    Central Oregon
    I'll look into those, thank you. This photo was edited with a Photomatix preset.