1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Pier 24 Photography Exhibit

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by WoodWorks, Jan 23, 2014.

1. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    For those of you living in the SF Bay Area, or who are planning to visit, there's a photo gallery out at Pier 24 on the Embarcadero that is definitely worth a visit. I make certain to get out there every year when I'm down in SF during MacWorld Expo. But during my current extended stay here I had not been able to visit until today.

The main thing that sets Pier 24 apart from other photo exhibits is that, while admission is free, you have to sign up for an appointment in advance, and they only let in 20 people at a time for a two-hour visit. It not a huge space, only 28,000 square feet (2,600 sq. meters), but they have constantly changing exhibits, so there's always something new to see. This time the exhibit was sort of a catch-all, A Sense of Place.

With only 20 people in the space at any time, you can linger over photos, move in and out, and really spend as much time as you want looking at the works.

[​IMG]

They had a whole gallery devoted to Lee Friedlander's America By Car series, which is an, um, unique series of photos.

[​IMG]

Another room housed a Dutch photographer's (Erik Kessells) work, in which he filled a room with prints he made from a single day's uploads to Flickr.

[​IMG]

This room had "only" 320,000 of the more than 1 million photos from his original exhibition (which filled several rooms).

I'm telling you, don't miss this place. It's a photo-junkie's nirvana. Plus, there's GIANT ART right outside!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  2. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Looks awesome!

Sadly a 5000 mile trip is probably out of the question for an art gallery!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Great stuff

4. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Oh, there's some other stuff to see here.

11488778656_625c5db848_b.
    Marshall Beach.jpg by Holzwerk, on Flickr

And we're pushing 20°C right now. :D

• Like Like x 3
  5. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Booking the flight now...!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. claude

claude TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    Woodworks, That's a clean looking photo. Beauty.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I would LOVE to attend photography art exhibitions regularly, especially ones that are as awesome as this one, but there are NO ones closer than 8 hour trips with the train ... ;(

8. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Well, in my case, it's usually a 6-hour drive (the trains here in the western U.S. are worse than useless for transporting humans). But this is one gallery I never fail to visit while I'm here.