Hi-Res Picture of the Day

Discussion in 'Hi-Res' started by fractal, Oct 7, 2015.

1. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    • Like Like x 8
  2. fractal

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    • Like Like x 4
  3. fractal

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    • Like Like x 2
  4. fractal

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    • Like Like x 5
  5. slothead

slothead TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Excellent idea for a thread Chris! I had thought the HiRes subforum was sort of dead after the Loupe function had to be removed, but this is a good way to revive it (I realize that it wasn't Amin, but it gave me that impression). I'll have to start using my A7RII more again!

• Like Like x 1
  6. christilou

christilou TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    DSC00078-Edit.

DSC00078-Edit-2.

This is the A7RII and Contax G 45 planar. 1:1 eye crop

• Like Like x 3
  7. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Christina - Firstly, nice shot. However, this doesn't seem Hi-Res. Looks like a normal post.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Gary,
    You have brought up a good point. One that we discussed earlier when the Loupe was working. The Loupe made it really obvious that there was high resolution at work. Ever since it was turned off I have been asking myself about HiRes criteria. I'm not really sure there is one unless your show the difference between a typical post and it's well resolved detail. By Christina's including the detail in the 1:1 blow-up, doesn't that demonstrate the original intent of the subforum?

Amin, your opinion (since you created this subforum)?

9. fractal

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    I resurrected my Flickr account and upload the "original" file here. I'm thinking that's "Hi-Res". The "loupe" thing never really worked when I uploaded from Smugmug.

I would also like some clarification.

10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    This forum is for when you want to embed an image greater than 1600px in any dimension. Many of us have screens that can accomodate images larger than 1600px, and this forum is the place to show them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  11. christilou

christilou TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    I always export my pics at 2048 x 1000 at 300 pp/inch unless I get a request (as on get dpi) to make them smaller. Is this hi res enough or not, I'm not very good at this sort of thing!

12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    For hi-res subforum, you can do 2048px, but you can optionally go much higher than that. The dog photo you posted above is only 1500px wide, so not large enough for hi-res subforum. If you posted the whole image at full-size (like the crop), that would be fine for the high-res subforum.

For the rest of the forum (outside of high-res subforum), use 1600px or less.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  13. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    OK Amin, I've tried two different methods, one from Photobucket (using the "~original" suffix in the posting link), and one from Smugmug (using the 3X link) and neither are working. I just get a little box with an X over it. Was something changed with these methods when the loupe mode was turned off?

14. fractal

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    • Like Like x 3
  15. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Chris,
    I notice that your image posts are all from Flickr. Having mentioned my difficulties with Photobucket and Smugmug in my preceding post, is Flickr the only HiRes support site for this subforum now? I haven't looked at all the other HiRes threads, but I have seen cases where pre-existing image posts are replaced with the little error/place-holders like I saw when I tried to use the aforementioned support sites.

16. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    OK, this is the third try (this time with Flickr BBcode).

OK, with the assistance of Chris (fractal) I was able to post this image of the ground that represents Pickett's Charge west of Little Round Top south of Gettysburg, PA. From the line of trees in the background Gen Geo. Pickett made his unsuccessful attempt to charge the Union line and at one point turn their left flank.

Thanks Chris.

[​IMG]Lt_Rd_Top_Panorama-c9c by Tom Manson, on Flickr

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  17. fractal

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Tom,

Yes, I abandoned Smugmug for the Hi-Res threads. I resurrected my dormant flickr account and even then it took some experimenting before figuring it out. We are too used to Smugmug.

This is what you need to do in flickr.

Go to the "link" page of your photo. Get the BBCode (I've been using "original"), copy the link and simply paste in the actual post. Do not open and paste in the "image" box - just paste it right in the post.

18. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Thanks again Chris, I edited the last post of mine (prior to your explanation) and the image appears there.

--- edit ---

Well it was, then I posted an update here and deleted the one in the prior post and all of them have now disappeared. What is even more interesting (for me) is that when editing the post, the image appears as expected. It's just when it gets saved does it again disappear!

[​IMG]Lt_Rd_Top_Panorama-c9c by Tom Manson, on Flickr

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  19. fractal

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    • Like Like x 4
  20. fractal

Jun 17, 2014