Pics of the new lenses posted at Sony.jp

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Amin Sabet, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    • Like Like x 4
  2. rbelyell

rbelyell TalkEmount Regular

Jan 18, 2015
    just as i feared, that distagon looks huge. no way around size at 1.4 i guess. the contax version is probably the best 35 ive ever seen.

3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I'm intrigued by that 24-240 as a general purpose/travel lens. But I'll wait for the price/performance info. before pulling out the credit card.

4. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I hope you love the price/performance and you keep up with the credit card payments so you can sell me that crappy 24-70 you have. :friends:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I'm intrigued by the 35/1.4 despite its largish size.

6. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Oh yeah, for you? Special price! ;)

7. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    That little 28mm looks cool. I think it would make a good 2nd lens for people that had the 55mm F1.8. Wonder if it is based on the 28mm F2 Rokkor?

But I'm kinda glad I haven't made the leap to full frame! They are all so expensive. And i'd go broke spending all my money on that 90mm G lens : /

8. Yves Gajardo

Yves Gajardo TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Pittsburg, CA
    Yves
    OOOOOH 35mm!!

9. tomO2013

tomO2013 TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 11, 2014
    The 35mm looks really nice and will also be excellent for video too.
    I never really understood the arguments that were made against a lens being 'too big' on the A7/s/r/ii. It's FF so regardless of mirrorbox/mirrorless you will still have to keep with the laws of physics. Fast glass is big glass.
    For the Sony system to be a success it needs to offer both large and fast and slow and compact.
    Part of the joys of many mirrorless systems including the Sony FF system is that you can build the system up to be as 'big' as you want but happy in the knowledge that you also have a nice small starting place if you also want to keep things small. The same body can do both.

On the other lenses announced, the 90mm macro could be another nice portrait lens too...

• Like Like x 1
  10. rbelyell

rbelyell TalkEmount Regular

Jan 18, 2015
    there's no 'argument' about large lenses, only a tidal wave of movement away from them in both the enthusiast and pro ranks. if no one cared about size then everyone would have a 5d variant and an adapted contax 35/1.4 distagon and 85/1.4 planar. ive had 'em, so i speak the truth! ): for pure IQ there are no better combinations.

the a7 is a small camera. to many--certainly not everyone, but many--big lenses on small cameras do not make much sense philosophically, aestheically or ergonomically.

11. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Pro's and wannabes ridicule the big lenses on small bodies.

But if you are not a pro, and you don't have half a dozen different camera bodies to choose from, it makes perfect sense. The lenses are interchangeable so why not have big fast lenses when you don't care about portability and small ones for when you do.

• Like Like x 1
  12. tomO2013

Dec 11, 2014
    Well substitute discussion/debate or whatever word is most comfortable instead for 'argument' - i'm not saying it in the passive aggressive sense. I'm sure you know what I mean ;)

Regardless, it's an oft discussed topic on these and other mirrorless forums etc... and you are 100% right... there are those who believe a large lens on a small body has no place and contradicts the philosophy and ergonomics of a small mirrorless body.

Conversely as already mentioned there are those who think that this opinion is completely out of touch with practical and financial reality; irrelevant for modern mirror-less times.
    They want to have a versatile system that can be as small as possible or as large (and ergonomic) as possible when you add the battery grip etc...

I still can't see any disadvantages with the second approach once you are comfortable with the lens offerings available to suit whichever side of the fence you fall into . Surely above all else - choice, variety and versatility - are the essence of a good system :)

13. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    28mm & 24-240mm sound good...It will be a good travel set up 24-240, 28 & 55mm...

I wonder why Zeiss didn't issue ZM 35mm f1.4 as Loxia for Sony and went with Loxia 35mm f2 Biogon, but I guess they wait Sony version to be the first one....

14. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    The day I start worrying about what other people think I should be using to take photographs is the day I might as well take up another hobby. ;)

• Like Like x 6
  15. tomO2013

Dec 11, 2014
    Agreed!

16. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    N├Žstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    But.... M mount glass is a lot smaller e.g the voigtlanders 35 mm f/1.4. Yeah I know af vs mf but still. Yet mostly I still agree

17. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I have the Voigtlander 35/1.4 and while it's a fun lens to use, it has swirly bokeh, soft wide open, strong vignetting, and significant CA. Correcting all those kinds of things is what makes the modern 35/1.4s so big (Sigma's highly rated 35/1.4 is also huge), not merely the AF motors.

I really like the next set of lenses coming out. I will definitely get the 24-240 if reviews are decent but the only question is when (possibly next year!)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

18. pbizarro

pbizarro TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Portugal
    Some core system lenses in the group, like the fast 35 and 90 macro. One may argue about the actual need of f1.4 aperture, given the performance of current sensors at high ISO, but , that's just showing what can be done. With a concurrent price.

Me, in 2015 I already bought the lens I saved for, which is the Zeiss Sonnar 50 f1.5 ZM. Done for the year.

• Like Like x 1
  19. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Hah! :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  20. ztryfe

ztryfe TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2014
    Mexico